Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V2 pump upgrades and intercooler tanks...have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, that would be awesome
Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An upgraded intercooler pump would be a Meziere
Model: WP136S

It flows really well, but isnt needed depending on what extra cooler you choose.

The easiest way to add capacity to the stock system it just use an add in heat exchanger.

An example is, the one i make here adds a gallon more fluid to the system, and still uses the stock exchanger as well.

It is much better to have the fluid sitting somewhere where it will be getting the heat extracted from it instead of just sitting in a container somewhere with no way to dissapate the heat.

We only charge $400 shipped for our dual pass exchangers. When put into the system it makes you have a tripple pass setup.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wait4me

It flows really well, but isnt needed depending on what extra cooler you choose.

The easiest way to add capacity to the stock system it just use an add in heat exchanger.

An example is, the one i make here adds a gallon more fluid to the system, and still uses the stock exchanger as well.

It is much better to have the fluid sitting somewhere where it will be getting the heat extracted from it instead of just sitting in a container somewhere with no way to dissapate the heat.

We only charge $400 shipped for our dual pass exchangers. When put into the system it makes you have a tripple pass setup.

I agree, problem is finding a good place to put it. These V2's are packaged to the max.
You could add in a heat exchanger and use a 12v fan to pull air through it without having it in direct airflow during driving....hmmm

You will reach a point of diminshing returns because heat exchangers work the best when the differnece between the two cooling mediums is high. The first temp difference is large and gets most of the cooling done, the second difference in the second heat exchanger is lower so heat exchanger isnt as efficient, though it does cool some AND add capacity.

Last edited by ecotec88fiero; 02-25-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pump fits right near the stock one does. There is plenty of room for it.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

That pump fits right near the stock one does. There is plenty of room for it.
I meant a second heat exhanger. The pump will def. fit, there is tons of room around the stock pump.

I didn't realize how small the stock heat exahanger is! The whole system capacity is less than 3 quarts, so increasing the core thickness(which there is room for) would really help system capacity. A/C performance and coolant temps might suffer but only when really hot I think and a 160 degree thermostat would help fight that.

At work right now, just had a V2 coupe in to look for some spots for a second heat exchanger and a larger coolant resivoir. Will post pics when I get home.

Areas for a larger intercooler coolant resivoir:

-Right side of engine compartment, behind strut tower, above the ECU. It is the mirror image of the engine coolant resivoir on the other side of the engine compartment. Approx. size was a 11"long x 5"deep x 5"wide. This location is really close to the stock intercooler coolant filler bottle so hose routing would be a cinch. Getting to it would be easy for ice filling so that is a plus.

-Directly behind the engine under the cowl/wiper transmission overhang. Aproxx. sixe would be 12" long x 5" wide x 6" deep. Larger in size, directly behin the inlet and outlet to the supercharger intercooler but difficult to get to for ice packing plus situatied quite close to the engine, heat soak might be more troublesome here.

-Behind the front fascia on the left side. Horn is situated here but besides that it is pretty much open. Brake cooling duct is below it, but this is the mirror image of where the windsheild washer fluid resivoir is on the right side of the car. Hose routing would be more intensive but this is far removed from the heat of the engine which is a nice benefit. Wasnt able to take measurements but I think the capacity would be similar to the washer fluid resivoir which is lots This is also close to the pump which is the ideal location for pump life. If you made a resivoir similar to the washer fluid one you might be able to get a filler neck right up front and this could be a real nice and easy way to dump ice in it. We could pressure test the stock washer resivoir to see if it can withstand the 5 psi the intercooler system is run at.

-My last resort choice would be in the trunk, with a lot of plumbing nightmares to overcome and surely a pump upgrade but you could make it as large as you wanted(trunk space permiting) and ice packing would be easiest. Last resort though.

Areas for a second heat exchanger:

-Lower grille in front fascia. You would have to angle it so the airflow to the lower areas of the first heat exchanger and radiator are not screwed up too much. 12v fan on the backside of this would help to pull more. Benefit is it is right next to the first heat exchanger so plumbing would be nice. Also close to the pump.

-Behind fascia on left side in the place mirror image of the washer resivoir. I would rather have a resivor here but you could do a heat exchanger as well with a 12v fan as a must since there is no airflow here.

I will add pics once I get home so you have a better idea of where these places are and the dimensions.

Anyone in the Seattle area have a V2 that wants to explore this option? It would be interesting to test out some differnt options at some of the test and tunes at PIR.

Last edited by ecotec88fiero; 02-25-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As stated originally these cars already have heat exchangers from various places. We just want more capacity then one the factory "baster tube" sized tank.

Originally Posted by ecotec88fiero
I meant a second heat exhanger. The pump will def. fit, there is tons of room around the stock pump.

I didn't realize how small the stock heat exahanger is! The whole system capacity is less than 3 quarts, so increasing the core thickness(which there is room for) would really help system capacity. A/C performance and coolant temps might suffer but only when really hot I think and a 160 degree thermostat would help fight that.

At work right now, just had a V2 coupe in to look for some spots for a second heat exchanger and a larger coolant resivoir. Will post pics when I get home.

Areas for a larger intercooler coolant resivoir:

-Right side of engine compartment, behind strut tower, above the ECU. It is the mirror image of the engine coolant resivoir on the other side of the engine compartment. Approx. size was a 11"long x 5"deep x 5"wide. This location is really close to the stock intercooler coolant filler bottle so hose routing would be a cinch. Getting to it would be easy for ice filling so that is a plus.

I agree,..only location to fit a larger tank, would either build a custom box, or use a coolant jug from another make, similar to what you have there. Looks like a catera tank maybe. I have one painted black for litigator to try out next time he is in the area.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

This should do it:

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The E55 guys have been upgrading heat exchangers and their pumps for 7 years now, take a poke around on the mercedes forums and see what they're installing in their 04+ E55s?

-meaty
Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice BIG pics
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a pretty big HX!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess nobody bothers to read anymore. You dudes keep posting pics of your intercoolers....I just am interested in TANKS......as in reservoirs...something for larger capacity, that is all.....something to replace the THIN fill tank. Heat exchangers, larger pumps, we got it,...literally. Just interested in tanks guys-

If you have pics of those,...preferably normal sized ones, post em up.

Quick Reply: V2 pump upgrades and intercooler tanks...have?