Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Seat Leather Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seat Leather Question

On your seats, does the leather look like it has 'repair' spots in various spots? Hard to describe, but best way I could is it's like there are spots where the leather has a slight raised part, almost like a repair gel was used, but it's blended in, although in many spots, so I'm not sure if it's normal? How about any dimples?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Mine doesn't show any of the "repair" spots....I used to use a company when I wholesaled cars and they would fix leather seats from burns and other things....Some types of leather wouldn't show any types of blemishes after repair while others would. I'd have to guess that yours were repaired somewhere along the line....Is it just one seat or all???
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I figured and yeah, bet they did this on the seats when they sold it at dealership. They must've been some damn careless smokers in there for all of these, ha ha. I mean, it doesn't look terrible, but I know it's there sort of thing. Just didn't know what the threshold was on imperfections in leather vs repair though; I've seen this sort of thing even on new cars too, so that's why I was wondering. Thanks.

It's more on the passenger seat bottom (dimples) but a couple on the driver's seat top bolster area (bumps, so to speak)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how bad the blemishes on your leather are, but if they are small, ever so slight "blisters", it's probably normal. I've read in a few car magazines that ultra high end car manufacturers, Bentley for one, use leather from cows that are not kept in barbed wire enclosures. Apparently if the cows bump the fence, there skin gets poked and it leaves a scar which ends up looking like a tiny blister in the leather. My guess is that GM uses barbed wire kept cows, since their cars aren't quite on the same quality level as a Bentley.

...or your seats have been repaired.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, took a quick pic and it my camera doesn't capture it really well, but here is one of the 'blisters' (better term btw, thanks) I'm talking about [click thumbnails]
Attached Thumbnails Seat Leather Question-caddy-seat.jpg   Seat Leather Question-caddy-seat2.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have noticed the same thing. I picked up the car a few weeks ago.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Default blisters

of course being the OCD maniac that I am, had to run right out and look. I have an 06 with 3800 miles, still looks/smells new. Couldn't find anything similar to your "blisters." I have the natural color ("cashmere") reminds me of that Led Zeppelin song, oh oh, age alert!! I hang with several others with the dark interiors and I will inspect theirs, discretely, of course!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Have a drink. It will make it blend in better...
Old 03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Launching!

My only guess would be that some sort of liquid was dripped or splashed on to the leather. Something which the leather was quick to absorb, but also something that either wasn't quick to dry or perhaps even permanently disrupted the natural grain pattern while it sat there.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Suppose that could be possible...The picture makes it look worse than it is, but I've noticed a couple here and there and didn't want to 'play around' with them too much in case they were indeed repairs of some sort. The dimples (not pictured) on the passenger seat bottom-front aggravate me more though, as I think some lazy smoker sat there and kept dropping hot cherry ashes, argh. It just bothers me more than anything!

Thanks for the replies and gonna put some more leatherique (love that stuff) on the seats and hope that helps it out some.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Suppose that could be possible...The picture makes it look worse than it is, but I've noticed a couple here and there and didn't want to 'play around' with them too much in case they were indeed repairs of some sort. The dimples (not pictured) on the passenger seat bottom-front aggravate me more though, as I think some lazy smoker sat there and kept dropping hot cherry ashes, argh. It just bothers me more than anything!

Thanks for the replies and gonna put some more leatherique (love that stuff) on the seats and hope that helps it out some.
Just so you know...You all have REALLY kicked in my OCD...Spent about an hr with leather conditioner in mine the other day and looking for bad spots the entire time...I do have a nice burn under the driver's mat....Who knows how a stray cig found it's way under the floor mat.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL, well least you're able to actually do that right now...my poor car has not had any attention for a few weeks now and it sucks to think how it should be vs. how it is right now