Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Maggie kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRiCK
Excuse this question. Not sure if it's been beaten to death or not.

Why aren't people ordering GTO ATI kits and slightly modifying them for the V?

Seems VERY similar. I don't see anything other than some slight trimming here and there.

What's scoop fellas?

Oh man, only if you knew.
There is not one ounce of just bolt on, and 'ok, whats next!'. Its custom the entire way though. And I MEAN CUSTOM fabbing...
yes, even the GTO brackets need modding, the lower bolt for the blower bracket is wrong, the shim is wrong, the blower pulley is the wrong type, the HUB needs to be a 12 bolt with a corvette AC offset custom blend of ATI damper ($$), the fog lights are in the way, the ECM is in the way, the the fender is in the way, the rad is in the way... the ABS lines are in the way, the power steering pump, NOW thats HELL... (custom mounting bracket, custom relocation resevoir, and you MUST have the angle BANG on, or the blower head hits the pressure fitting and you start all over cutting metal again.
And thats just the beginning...

BUT... that sound is something else coming from a caddy...
a tad annoying using an open atmosphere bypass valve, about the only downfall.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greddy91
Remedy to me seems to be to change the gearing to keep the motor in it's peak torque more frequently... I'm trying 3.90's...

Results to come.
I'm interested in your results. If i ever upgrade to a G-force 9" i'll be going the other way and running a 3.54, but thats to load up the turbo's more.

Yup... good for 180/180 more here... just a 65% power improvement. I'm into the motor for $5K which murdered the rear... so add another $5K... I'm at 31K plus some minor add ins...

A bit better than a $60K 2009 V... I consider it a bargain at this point.

The only other car in the same class I can think of off hand that can run like this for this price range is an Audi RS6.
Sounds like you are a happy camper with your maggie, good deal.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vmapper

Oh man, only if you knew.
There is not one ounce of just bolt on, and 'ok, whats next!'. Its custom the entire way though. And I MEAN CUSTOM fabbing...
yes, even the GTO brackets need modding, the lower bolt for the blower bracket is wrong, the shim is wrong, the blower pulley is the wrong type, the HUB needs to be a 12 bolt with a corvette AC offset custom blend of ATI damper ($$), the fog lights are in the way, the ECM is in the way, the the fender is in the way, the rad is in the way... the ABS lines are in the way, the power steering pump, NOW thats HELL... (custom mounting bracket, custom relocation resevoir, and you MUST have the angle BANG on, or the blower head hits the pressure fitting and you start all over cutting metal again.
And thats just the beginning...

BUT... that sound is something else coming from a caddy...
a tad annoying using an open atmosphere bypass valve, about the only downfall.
Holy hell!? My question answered!! Thanks buddy! Now I know to not even attempt...
Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

You're right. The 112 head unit is the ****, it will leave you plenty of room to grow, it's worth the $6k and far superior to any centrifugal setup...

I'm sorry? Did you just compare your V1 to a V2?? Lol Tooootally different caliber of vehicle. If your looking at it from that perspective, you should have dropped your $31k on a $50k (not $60k??) 09 and had the real thing and not be in denial about it....

I'm gonna bow out of this one.

On a side note. Why are you afraid of 4" bore motors? Lol in denial about that as well?? Lol

dammit I love cars.... Lmao!
not sure how you can say its far superior to any centrifugal setup, when I dont know of any centrifugal setup that makes less power then any of the 112 cars or runs out of steam up top.

What have the 112 cars done so far in the v world? arent all the 11 second cts/v's using either alot of motor, turbos or centrifugal blowers?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
not sure how you can say its far superior to any centrifugal setup, when I dont know of any centrifugal setup that makes less power then any of the 112 cars or runs out of steam up top.

What have the 112 cars done so far in the v world? arent all the 11 second cts/v's using either alot of motor, turbos or centrifugal blowers?
I think he was being sarcastic. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Was my sarcasm not obvious enough? Lol I'm with you on this one...
Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Launching!

You're right. The 112 head unit is the ****, it will leave you plenty of room to grow, it's worth the $6k and far superior to any centrifugal setup...

I'm sorry? Did you just compare your V1 to a V2?? Lol Tooootally different caliber of vehicle. If your looking at it from that perspective, you should have dropped your $31k on a $50k (not $60k??) 09 and had the real thing and not be in denial about it....

I'm gonna bow out of this one.

On a side note. Why are you afraid of 4" bore motors? Lol in denial about that as well?? Lol

dammit I love cars.... Lmao!
No need to bow out holmes... just a discussion.

Maggie worth 6-7k? Not to me... that's why I refused to pay it... bought used added the cam, upgraded the HEX, and now I get to convert to the 9".

I fail to see how the new V is an overly superior car. The V1's have six lug hubs and wheels... more is better... the V2 sucks.

My car payment is exactly where I want it to be, and yeah, I'm a broke computer nerd that has to make one... So a V2 just isn't gonna be a fit until they hit $30K... and then it likely won't be a fit cause I'll still have a low mileage V1 in the garage and will remain completely content with 500/500 and a virtually 100% stock appearance. After all this is said and done - if I decide that 500/500 doesn't fit the bill... I'll sell the maggie kit to another enthusiast and I'll do a monster build for an alternate LS motor.

As I've said before, I only antagonize the 6.0 cause I don't have one... the price was right on the 5.7, the warranty expired at the perfect time, I'm not bitter at all about not having 15-20 ft lbs less torque with the same mods as a similar setup.

I just don't think there needs to be so much negative bias towards the maggie. Your descriptions of a cat back and a maggie IMO were meant to be derogatory, but it's also kinda ironic beauty. To me these cars become a member of the fastest 15-20% you'll see on the roadways with just headers and a maggie. At a cost now of 15-20K base, you add a blower, cheap headers, and swap the rear and you're buying a half price V2.

We're all just polishing GM's design flaws anyway... You can do it yourself and mod up the V1 or you can pay GM a lot more money to do it for you and buy a V2... At least the V1 doesn't have to shake it's head in dismay every time someone mentions it's ugly assed little brother.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

but then its still an overall crappier car compared to the v2. interior wise, fit and finish, aftermarket mods....

the list goes on and on. for its time the v1 was a good car, but fit and finish wise it was even hurting for its time.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Clarkson put it best when he was testing the 04 CTS-V and likes it overall, but said there was something about it (that he couldn't quote put his finger on) that made it feel cheap.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Launching!

but then its still an overall crappier car compared to the v2. interior wise, fit and finish, aftermarket mods....

the list goes on and on. for its time the v1 was a good car, but fit and finish wise it was even hurting for its time.
It's a car that was designed half a decade earlier... yeah it doesn't have the wow factor of pop-up nav or recaro's or a factory warrantied supercharger, but seriously... It's not a fuggin Altima.

Please cite your reasons that it was sub-par in 2004 when compared to it's competition.

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I think Clarkson put it best when he was testing the 04 CTS-V and likes it overall, but said there was something about it (that he couldn't quote put his finger on) that made it feel cheap.
Probably easily stated when you're driving Lambos, Ferraris, and Astons all day. Christ; the guys daily driver is an imported Ford GT.

Uhhh yeah... when I drive a Crown Vic after driving the V... I can't quite put my finger on it... something just feels cheaper. Hmmmm.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a car that was designed half a decade earlier... yeah it doesn't have the wow factor of pop-up nav or recaro's or a factory warrantied supercharger, but seriously... It's not a fuggin Altima.

Please cite your reasons that it was sub-par in 2004 when compared to it's competition.

Probably easily stated when you're driving Lambos, Ferraris, and Astons all day. Christ; the guys daily driver is an imported Ford GT.

Uhhh yeah... when I drive a Crown Vic after driving the V... I can't quite put my finger on it... something just feels cheaper. Hmmmm.
Hey I enjoy my car quite a bit, and yes a person's frame of reference is going to shift depending on what they're used to driving. I think the CTS-V is a great car, with a great interior, especially when compared to other cars of that generation. But I can see the perception of it feeling cheap next to the cars that it's being compared to (M3's, Audi, etc).
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

not sure why you are so butt hurt over the truth.
fit and finish wise it wasnt on par with the other cars in its class ( s4, c32/c55/, m3) and that is more evident as the model year goes on.
heck it had both interior squeaks and drivetrain clunks.

the ford gt wasnt his daily, one because it never worked and he had to get rid of it. he has a bunch of cars that he drives aside from what they drive on the show.

They liked the v1 for it being a first legit american alternative, but if bmw/audi put out the vehicle they would have raked it over hot coals.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Hey I enjoy my car quite a bit, and yes a person's frame of reference is going to shift depending on what they're used to driving. I think the CTS-V is a great car, with a great interior, especially when compared to other cars of that generation. But I can see the perception of it feeling cheap next to the cars that it's being compared to (M3's, Audi, etc).
thats basically it.... hence why gm had to really hit a home run with the v2. And yet even still some people still say the V2 has some minor fit and finish issues for its class.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

This all has do with maggies how?
I like the rawness and simplicity of this car, interior included. I bought the V1 knowing it's flaws and knowing I'll mod the **** out of it. To those who just want to bolt on a few parts and expect a perfect car and/or constantly complain about the V1 you should have researched more and bought something else.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

who is saying they dont like their car?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

who is saying they dont like their car?
Not pointing anyone out, just saying in general.
Top gear always rip American built cars a new one, it's pretty funny, but also Biased.(BMW should have their **** together fit and finnish, considering BMW's all look the same for the past 10 years)
I'm actualy suprised Clarkson wasn't harsher on the V1.

Last edited by tommycompton; 04-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just wanna know where the hell your seeing "all" these 11 second V1s, I have seen like two ancd they both had 800rwhp.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Not pointing anyone out, just saying in general.
Top gear always rip American built cars a new one, it's pretty funny, but also Biased.(BMW should have their **** together fit and finnish, considering BMW's all look the same for the past 10 years)
I'm actualy suprised Clarkson wasn't harsher on the V1.
well the car showed a new idea of how to build the entry level luxo performance car. The power, the stick shift, the space and how it handled.

i'm sure it might have looked worse if they had long term vehicles. I think motor trend had a V for 40k miles and most of their complaints seemed to be what we all complain about.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I just wanna know where the hell your seeing "all" these 11 second V1s, I have seen like two ancd they both had 800rwhp.
ive seen two v6 vehicles on the internet run 11's. one on spray and the other under boost.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Read through the all motor thread where the lad with the fat cam and 420-430 hp layed down a solid 12.1...

He's able to do that because he's not laying down all the hp and torque out of the hole, it's coming on progressively... So the drivetrain is actually holding up.

The 800 hp cars are running lower times because you can baby it out of the hole and then murder it down the line. Everyone knows 800 hp should be capable of MUCH lower than a high to mid 11 second pass.

Still to this day running the factory parts you can't give these cars the full onslaught of available power to the wheels without killing the rear. The maggies rep is poor not due to its inability as a power maker, but due to the getrags inability to deliver power to the ground at low speeds.

If you have a maggie and hate it raise your hand.

If you're position is to recommend people to not purchase one based on exhibit A - this dynograph - then I think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

When you're at the top of the Empire State building it's quite majestic, but if you send someone a picture of it from your cell phone it loses a the majority of it's drama.

AND One more thing on Clarkson... it's all an opinion piece and it has become more for entertainment value... Specifically check out Tesla's lawsuit against them. Pretty telling on the validity of the content of the show. (Don't get me wrong... I still love it, but it's proven non-factual.)

Last edited by greddy91; 04-23-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Rant on Top Gear...
Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Stageup has had some axle problems if i recall correctly. You dont run a low low 12 in a V1 by making easy launches. I think he's been through one or two broken axles.

Quick Reply: Maggie kits