Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hooking up a aux input (I'll use an IPOD) Will this work?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The usaspec hooks inline with the xm module which is under the rear deck.then you run the cable to hook up to the iPod wherever you want
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw all that.....I did the radio shack cord ($7), and mine works perfectly. Sounds great! If you need to charge the phone/ipod/mp3 player, use the lighter outlet.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

So rereading this thread, I lied. The carputer was not my first mod.

But, I did get buy a CTS (non V) radio to set it up similar to the carputer link.

BTW, I did the RadioShack cable too & I've been happy with it. I did it in about 2hrs, easy peasy. Also, I've got hands free/bluetooth with my aux cable!

Here's my aux cable running to a Nokia BH214. The BH214 is a bluetooth module that you can plug any headphones you want into it. So, I plug my aux cable into it & the onboard mic works (but tends to pick up echos):

Also, I bought another cable to work with the aux cable. The Monster Mobile SoniTalk, works awesome & better than the bluetooth for eliminating echos. Plug the aux cable into it, the Sonitalk into the phone, tada, hands free! The oblong end is a mic & button to start/stop calls, even play/pause music when not in a call:

The only downside to the Sonitalk is the plug is kinda bulky plugged into the phone, not horrible, but not perfect. I used to use the BT with great regularity until people complained about a wicked echo during calls (the mic picking up the car speakers). I use it primarily for quick in/outs of the car so I don't have to keep plugging/unpluging. On long trips, I use the Sonitalk exclusively.

The phone cradle is a Mountek 5000. Puts the phone at a perfect height, plugs into the DVD slot & locks down. My phone doesn't move at all. I don't really use the stereo/DIC at all (except to monitor instantaneous MPG).
Old 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Teching In

I just did this took less than 30 minutes the first time 15 the second once we decided the wire colors on the writeup were wrong (right channel had no vovals or bass). Mine sounds better than cd or the radio by far.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna have to do this soon cause the radio BLOWS!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pho_phizzat
I just did this took less than 30 minutes the first time 15 the second once we decided the wire colors on the writeup were wrong (right channel had no vovals or bass). Mine sounds better than cd or the radio by far.
Any more insight on what happened to the install, and how to prevent it from happening?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
Any more insight on what happened to the install, and how to prevent it from happening?
I think why I (& possibly others) didn't have any problems, is that I used the Radio Shack cable & the colors were exactly from the tutorial. I've never had a problem with mine.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
On step five for the write up it says that dark brown is a channel, tan is the ground, and green is a channel. This is wrong on mine green was ground and tan was the other channel. I cannot remember off of the top of my head which was left and right but it really doesnt matter. I did not use the radio shack cable but i ohmed the cable out first to figure out the channels. Left was the tip right was middle and ground was the base. (again i could be backwards on the channels) hope this helps it sounds damn good now that it works.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LAYGO
So rereading this thread, I lied. The carputer was not my first mod.

But, I did get buy a CTS (non V) radio to set it up similar to the carputer link.
Digging up an old thread again, but what is the difference between the V and non-V (what you have pictured, correct?) headunits? I'm not seeing it.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No. No. & No.

You control the ipod.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dead civic
Back from the dead... again

will the USASPEC allow you to set ipod to suffle from the head unit?

also does the head unit display your Ipod Playlists and go thought it library?

or does it just play it and skip forward and read, will I have to manually set up the ipod for what i want it to play?

I'm thinking of just leaving it all in the trunk tucked in somewhere.

Any info is apreciated. thanks.
I have the USASPEC kit in my infiniti and it works ok.. its a little finicky sometimes, but screw that.. Sony discontinued this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XDPP....html?tp=61674
which for about the same price gives you a lot more. After I had it installed I spend another 100 on a 4 channel amp and the car sounds like some of the ones I had 10 years ago when I put money into car audio.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Launching!

thanks for the replies guys.

so here is what i did. I did the radioshack install. And just ordered one of these suckers

http://www.buyijet.com/top-products/...ite-black.html

I keep my ipot with 15k sons under my armrest with a charger coming from the back of the arm rest and now I'll have easy control of my music I'm happy.

USASPEC < I'll be the first to say not worth it. the only perk I see in getting that is having the songs name on your screen... if that.

but offer no interface controll over the ipod is pointless.

... case closed.

If anyone is interested I'll rate that remote I just purchased when I get it ofcourse
Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Bumping lol. So according to that original writeup (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...tch/index.html), I found the gray connector at the back of the unit and the exact colored wires as mentioned:
o Left – Brown/White
o Right – Dark Green/White
o Common – Tan/White

Problem is, the only stereo cable I found (and the one I cut up last night to try this) is a cable with only a red and white connector on the end, much like this one: http://www.radioshack.com/6-ft-1-8-s...2Bstereo&sz=12. I dont see a third connection on the cable to hook up with the common (tan/white) on the unit.

So I can connect the left and right, but not the common. Does that make sense? What should I do?

Edit: Through a bit more searching, looks like I got the wrong cable and instead need a male-to-male stereo audio cable, I think...

Last edited by ObfuscatedV; 11-14-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Launching!

If you do this. Ull sell you my remote for $20. It's an i-jet

You connect a piece to you iPod and the charger to it, throw it in your center piece and forget it. You can change the iPod with a small remote it comes with. I had a magnet by the shifter and one on the remote so I'd set the remote ther. Let me know man. Very convenient and never fails.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ote-ipods.html
Old 11-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ObfuscatedV
Bumping lol. So according to that original writeup (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...tch/index.html), I found the gray connector at the back of the unit and the exact colored wires as mentioned:
o Left – Brown/White
o Right – Dark Green/White
o Common – Tan/White

Problem is, the only stereo cable I found (and the one I cut up last night to try this) is a cable with only a red and white connector on the end, much like this one: http://www.radioshack.com/6-ft-1-8-s...2Bstereo&sz=12. I dont see a third connection on the cable to hook up with the common (tan/white) on the unit.

So I can connect the left and right, but not the common. Does that make sense? What should I do?

Edit: Through a bit more searching, looks like I got the wrong cable and instead need a male-to-male stereo audio cable, I think...
Go to radioshaq and buy another one. the black one. That's all I have. I think you have to pay attention to the stripes on the connection part.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dead civic
Go to radioshaq and buy another one. the black one. That's all I have. I think you have to pay attention to the stripes on the connection part.
Well I guess I got the right one in the first place. It only had a red and white, and nothing for the "common" listed in the writeup, but I just hooked up the red and white where they needed to be and disabled the common. Works fine lol. The volume needs to be turned up just a bit higher than an FM station or CD would, but I can deal with that. If you turn it up real loud you also get a slight static noise, which I may try to fix later on if I can determine what it is.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ObfuscatedV
Well I guess I got the right one in the first place. It only had a red and white, and nothing for the "common" listed in the writeup, but I just hooked up the red and white where they needed to be and disabled the common. Works fine lol. The volume needs to be turned up just a bit higher than an FM station or CD would, but I can deal with that. If you turn it up real loud you also get a slight static noise, which I may try to fix later on if I can determine what it is.
Good to hear man

Quick Reply: Hooking up a aux input (I'll use an IPOD) Will this work?!?!?