Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hood popping open?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hood popping open?

From time to time, my hood pops up by itself when I'm driving; thankfully, the catch doesn't allow it to open all the way, but I am wondering if this is a semi-common problem on these, or perhaps there's some sort of adjustment I need to do.

It's more of an annoyance than anything, but it likes to happen when I'm getting on or am on the freeway, but also has done it on the road...My hand is nowhere near the release when it happens and it's totally sporadic. Plus, I make sure the hood is always closed firmly.

I am wondering if the bumpstops (that adjust the front height) are up too high. But, the hood aligns with the fender pretty well, so that's probably not it.

So, any ideas or experiences of this, I'd like to hear!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this happen a few times, once shifting into 4 in the 1/4. I had been playing with the bumb stops. 1/2 a turn down, My hood sits a little lower than the fenders now. but hasn't happened since
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks...yeah, maybe I'll turn them down some, but not sure what the ideal setting would be, as far as not putting pressure upward, but also not allowing any gap from the rubber to the metal, either...
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Just move the latch up.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll look into that and didn't think about doing that. I imagine the holes may be oversized to allow adjustment and will check it out.

I adjusted the bumpstops a little, so we'll see if that helps. The hood feels (felt) solid though, as far as no movement, so we'll see...Just glad there's a catch, cause a flying open hood would suck!

Reminds me of my chevelle. Had this nice fiberglass hood on it and the only thing holding it on the front were hoodpins...Some yayhoos thought it would be funny to take them and I didn't see them gone (good reason for lanyards) and go to accelerate and bam the hood comes up, flies off and almost hits a bicyclist...Ruined a good hood and thankfully didn't damage the car. bastards, lol.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

The latch is adjustable, so you can move the rubber stops so the hood sits flush and adjust the latch accordingly. The latch may have shifted at one point, maybe you can see the original marks and just set it back.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, you never know if it got shifted down or something from it closing...Gonna check it out soon though, but today is install the rear diff bushing finally day

Speaking of the hood, I wish there wasn't such a big gap between the hood lip and front fascia/grill and wondering what GM was thinking there. There's no way to close it without the hood being below the headlight top and fender, as far as I can tell...

Quick Reply: Hood popping open?