Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V - Car and Driver article

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTS-V - Car and Driver article

I only had two problems with the article. First, why test an M3? A two door coupe vs. a 4 door sedan. Where do you think the crossover shopping would come from? No one looking for an M3 is going to be switching to the CTS-V at the last minute.

Second, the article states that the CTS-V is "drag limited" at 163. I can assure you that it's not. It pulls very strong up to the electronic cut-off @ 163. My guess is that it is redline and drag limited somewhere around 180 mph.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Write those morons and tell them what is up.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand the M3 and M5 comparison. The CTS-V is priced like an M3 but has size and performance like an M5. There is no direct competitor, so you're not going to have an apples to apples matchup any way you slice it.

Some say they should have used an Audi S4 or an RS6. But that wouldn't be any more even: The S4 costs roughly the same(a few grand more) as the CTS-V when you equip it with everything that is standard on the CTS-V. But it's a LOT smaller, and has less power (only 340).
The RS6 is closer in size to the CTS-V, but it has more power (450) and costs even more than an M5.

Drag limited v. Electronically Limited:
I agree, I don't understand why the mixup. I would like to have a definitive answer one way or the other. It sure seems that it wouldn't be drag limited as they were in the heart of the power band at 163mph in 6th.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm telling you it's not drag limited. I was driving 163 mph when the CTS-V hit the electronic limiter. It's like hitting a wall. Drag limited is much more subtle and you can hear the engine straining to maintain momentum.

As far as the competition you're right. Size and performance is all M5, but price is M3. When you look at other $50,000 cars in it's class your stuck with M45's, GS430, E500 and 540i sports. But then none of these has 400 horses.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cvp33
I'm telling you it's not drag limited. I was driving 163 mph when the CTS-V hit the electronic limiter. It's like hitting a wall. Drag limited is much more subtle and you can hear the engine straining to maintain momentum.
Ahh, I missed that little detail

Yes, you can definitely tell the difference between drag limited (it slowly sloooowly sloooooooowly stops gaining speed) and electronically limited (it suddenly stops gaining speed, even on a "soft" limiter that doesn't kill fuel to the engine)
Old 02-25-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
I understand the M3 and M5 comparison. The CTS-V is priced like an M3 but has size and performance like an M5. There is no direct competitor, so you're not going to have an apples to apples matchup any way you slice it.

They even explained the reasoning in the first part of the article.

I will say I am a bit disappointed with the acceleration they got out of the car though, for having 50 more HP and weighing a little more, it's only marginally faster than the new Pontiac GTO.

I hope the rest of the critics will be able to wring some better performance out of the car, and verify if every CTS-V launches terribly or if it was just a fluke with the car C&D recieved.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing about the C&D test car - they said it was a production line car, but they tested it in November. The production cars didn't hit dealers until February. Not all that time gap is explained by shipping - some changes to the car could have been made between November and February.

Quick Reply: CTS-V - Car and Driver article