Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need help!!!! car is shutting off on me while driving....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Any way to measure fuel pressure and also voltage to the pump? You need to know if it's the pump or the wiring/relay whatever.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRiCK
Replaced fuel pump and crank position sensor. Still no fuel pressure.

Going to check for any soft codes, as there is no engine light on...

Thoughts....??

Thanks for posting this Frick. =) Also, after the Fuel pump was changed the car started fine and drove for 2 small 10 minute drives. parked the car, went to start it few hours later and it wouldn't turn over at all. Before changing the fuel pump the car would start at some point even tho there was some issues, now not at all.

Could something else cause the new fuel pump to give out? could it just be luck and be a bad fuel pump? what do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 PM

Well if u just put in a new pump and all of a sudden it killed your batt i would check wiring u may need to chk your ground, never heard of a pump draining a batt but it could happen. Can u hear it running at all after shut down?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm still Thinking about the relay. It could be acting up when it gets hot causing your previous problem, and if it closed when the car was off, wouldn't that drain the battery?

But then the pump would have been running too, and you probably would have heard that with the car turned off.

What feeds the pump relay, anybody know?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

U could measure voltage on the battery with and without the pump relay connected to see if there is a difference...
Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife's Altima had the same issue...I know that there couldn't be two different engines but I did a little research on a NISMO forum and found out that something like 70% of all the 2.5 motors in 04-05 had camshaft/crankshaft sensors to go bad. $48 for both and an hour in the garage was A LOT better than $440 for a new fuel pump. GOOD LUCK
Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

i swear i replied to this posting from my iphone but i dont see it!!!! lol

first off thank you for all your advice and ideas!!!!

so its all fixed! it ended up being the fuel pump harness. i wasn't there to see it when it was fixed. but i guess it got so hot(possibly when it first started tweeking on me) it was disformed or what not and wasn't completely plugged in. must of came lose after changing the fuel pump unit. idk. i didn't do the install and my friend said he didn't notice it when he did the swap. but neway he did figure it out and i'm grateful!

i wonder if the original fuel pump failed and caused the harness to overheat and deform! otherwise i just blew $450 for a fuel pump and $50 for a cps! ANYONE LOOKING TO BUY MY STOCK FUEL PUMP UNIT? HAHAHAHA $50 takes it.

so if anyone has this problem i hope this is helpful.

Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuLuMoNeY

so its all fixed! it ended up being the fuel pump harness. i wasn't there to see it when it was fixed. but i guess it got so hot(possibly when it first started tweeking on me) it was disformed or what not and wasn't completely plugged in. must of came lose after changing the fuel pump unit. idk. i didn't do the install and my friend said he didn't notice it when he did the swap. but neway he did figure it out and i'm grateful!

i wonder if the original fuel pump failed and caused the harness to overheat and deform! otherwise i just blew $450 for a fuel pump and $50 for a cps! ANYONE LOOKING TO BUY MY STOCK FUEL PUMP UNIT? HAHAHAHA $50 takes it.

Thanks again!

When a fuel pump gets stopped up, from Ethanol or debris in the tank, what generally tends to happen that I've noticed, is that the fuel pump will still get power, but it won't function. One part of the fuel pump working, is it uses all the fuel that goes through it to cool it off.

When the electric pump has flow through it, but no fuel flow, it gets HOT. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe something broke in your pump, causing it to still receive juice and try to work, but just got hot instead of flowing fuel, warping your harness/plug.

I've got a 2 week old Walbro that turned from a fuel pump into a hand warmer because of ethanol gunking up the works

Someone once told me, that on your fuel gauge, the reason why it goes from white to red, is not because your running low on fuel, but because your fuel pump will start to overheat due to not enough fuel to keep it cool. Anyone else ever hear this? The person could have just been retarded, honestly. It's a 50/50.

-meaty

Last edited by meatyCTS-V; 06-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
When a fuel pump gets stopped up, from Ethanol or debris in the tank, what generally tends to happen that I've noticed, is that the fuel pump will still get power, but it won't function. One part of the fuel pump working, is it uses all the fuel that goes through it to cool it off.

When the electric pump has flow through it, but no fuel flow, it gets HOT. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe something broke in your pump, causing it to still receive juice and try to work, but just got hot instead of flowing fuel, warping your harness/plug.

I've got a 2 week old Walbro that turned from a fuel pump into a hand warmer because of ethanol gunking up the works

Someone once told me, that on your fuel gauge, the reason why it goes from white to red, is not because your running low on fuel, but because your fuel pump will start to overheat due to not enough fuel to keep it cool. Anyone else ever hear this? The person could have just been retarded, honestly. It's a 50/50.

-meaty

-meaty
most of this makes sense. and thats what everyone else has said that i have talked to. only thing i'm confused about is the last part of your reply. what would turn white to red on the fuel gauge? lol i hope i'm not being a blonde right now but everything is digital with one color. anyhow the car has been running fine and its been running strong. car is for sale! come get it!! lol
Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again!

Same exact thing happenned to my 06 CTS-V. The fuel pump harness was fried/frayed beyond belief. Once the shop actually dropped the tank, the mechanic urged me to actually come in and see exactly what the culprit was. After seeing the harness was actually melted from where it connects with the tank, I wasn't too comfortable with driving the vehicle. And what further frustrated me was the fact that Cadillac had a recall on the fuel pumps for CTSs that were built between 04-07, I believe. However, the recall didn't effect Vs, and the rep verified that my car wasn't effected by my VIN. To the OP, good thing you were able to rectify, but what sucks the most is: No one can definitively tell you that you will not be afflicted again.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most of this makes sense. and thats what everyone else has said that i have talked to. only thing i'm confused about is the last part of your reply. what would turn white to red on the fuel gauge? lol i hope i'm not being a blonde right now but everything is digital with one color. anyhow the car has been running fine and its been running strong. car is for sale! come get it!! lol
What I mean is, a lot of cars, the hash marks on the fuel gauge are all white, or whatever color the gauges are, until the very last one, which on most cars tends to be red. I've heard it's that color because when you get to the red, due to the lack of available fuel, you could overheat your fuel pump because it uses the gas as a coolant. But like I said, it could just be urban legend :shrug:

-meaty

Quick Reply: Need help!!!! car is shutting off on me while driving....