Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V dynoed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
cvp33 makes very good points, i dont see that performance out of 318hp.
You guys are funny

I have a little Ford 5 liter Fox mustang that puts out ~225 to the wheels with its stock longblock. It weighs 3200 with me in it.

How fast do YOU think I should go in the 1/4? I'll bet you're wrong

You guys are talking all day about peak HP, and peak HP doesnt mean jack ****. Its area under the curve.

I believe that car only made 318 hp (I trust MTI more than most members of my family).

I also know what "Torque management" and similar PCM "luxury" tweaks can do to a poor little LS6.

chris
Old 03-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
You guys are funny

I have a little Ford 5 liter Fox mustang that puts out ~225 to the wheels with its stock longblock. It weighs 3200 with me in it.

How fast do YOU think I should go in the 1/4? I'll bet you're wrong

You guys are talking all day about peak HP, and peak HP doesnt mean jack ****. Its area under the curve.

I believe that car only made 318 hp (I trust MTI more than most members of my family).

I also know what "Torque management" and similar PCM "luxury" tweaks can do to a poor little LS6.

chris
How exactly are the PCM Torque Management settings affecting the dyno results? Unlinke to Z06, the CTS-V does not have a "driver abuse" algorithm. Also, since it has a manual tranny, there is no need to save the auto on WOT shifts. So how is it affecting the dyno, which is usually run in 4th gear? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hot Rod,

Welcome to our site. Glad you're here. Your witisisms and knowledge are unmatched and exactly what this thread has needed. You obviously have a wealth of knowledge about cars in general and specifically the CTS-V. Please feel free to continue educating myself and others. Also feel free to use any facts you my possess whether citing magazine articles or your CTS-V driving impressions. I'm very interested in hearing your impressions of YOUR new V and I will continue to post mine.

Knowledgeable and professional enough to know I don't know everything.

Last edited by cvp33; 03-11-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up V Dyno

Hello all...

I have owned my V for about 2 weeks now. My impression of the MTI dyno numbers are that they are close. I figure it should have been 328. Its seems about 10hp off. Flywheel numbers are usually close and with a high 18% loss for the driveline, its in there. My last car had a RWHP of 385 and weighed 4400lbs. My best was 12.65 @108. (also ran very well at summit point).
The V is capable of a 13 flat run (my guess) with drag radials. Im actually suprised that they got the time that they did with street tires. As mentioned by others, this isnt a drag car, its a road car. I might also add that my last car got those numbers with a bone stock, never disassembled LT-1.
It was turbocharged but I also was dead against aborting a new car, granted, half as much money. I might consider a magnussen kit at some later date. This is a much better way to get more power and leave the car intact.
OF course that's my opinion. I have done the exhaust, head, cam, trans thing.
The results are negatively proportional to longevity.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by globed70
How exactly are the PCM Torque Management settings affecting the dyno results? Unlinke to Z06, the CTS-V does not have a "driver abuse" algorithm. Also, since it has a manual tranny, there is no need to save the auto on WOT shifts. So how is it affecting the dyno, which is usually run in 4th gear? Thanks for the info.
Until somebody posts what the PCM is doing, these statements are guesses at best. With GM applying abuse algorithms and torque management algorithms in most of the new cars now, I don't see why GM wouldn't put such an algorithm in the CTS-V. It is also well known that LS series motors make more power as milage nears the 5K to 10K mark, so the "well abused press fleet cars" could easily have that milage on them and the PCM is learning from driving style(In this case, aggressive is probably an understatment).

Two things that will be interesting: the dyno numbers of CTS-Vs with more milage on them and somebody posting about the PCM controls of the engine(which I am betting are similar to the Z06 Vette and probably are more intrusive due to the physical ability of the CTS-V suspension to generate more wheel hop than the Z06).

Either way, the CTS-V is an awesome car and I am hoping the Escalade Z series with the X12 motor is truly coming. That will definately go in the garage next to the C6 Vert(opps, waiting on that one as well.....).

Oh yeah, for those posting about it, the Escalade we currently have is definately in need of mods and a supercharger sounds just right. If I had a CTS-V, I think I would start with some of the heads/cam packages out there and a nice exhaust....Probably before 5K miles as well.

Todd
Old 03-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Until somebody posts what the PCM is doing, these statements are guesses at best. With GM applying abuse algorithms and torque management algorithms in most of the new cars now, I don't see why GM wouldn't put such an algorithm in the CTS-V. It is also well known that LS series motors make more power as milage nears the 5K to 10K mark, so the "well abused press fleet cars" could easily have that milage on them and the PCM is learning from driving style(In this case, aggressive is probably an understatment).

Two things that will be interesting: the dyno numbers of CTS-Vs with more milage on them and somebody posting about the PCM controls of the engine(which I am betting are similar to the Z06 Vette and probably are more intrusive due to the physical ability of the CTS-V suspension to generate more wheel hop than the Z06).

Either way, the CTS-V is an awesome car and I am hoping the Escalade Z series with the X12 motor is truly coming. That will definately go in the garage next to the C6 Vert(opps, waiting on that one as well.....).

Oh yeah, for those posting about it, the Escalade we currently have is definately in need of mods and a supercharger sounds just right. If I had a CTS-V, I think I would start with some of the heads/cam packages out there and a nice exhaust....Probably before 5K miles as well.

Todd
Your inclination is right, I am no expert. The information on abuse algorithms comes from GM Performance Division.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink

Originally Posted by tux2112
ok... and fwiw my car weighs in at 3900 w/me in it... (F-body) ... I ran 12.9 w/a lid and stock tires...
Sorry dude, I'll call BS on that one.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by globed70
Your inclination is right, I am no expert. The information on abuse algorithms comes from GM Performance Division.

Do you have a link to a web site or similar run by GM Performance? I am wondering if they do post info on what they are putting in the PCM.

Todd
Old 03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just to let you guys know the guys at MORE Performance dynoed theirs at 327 at the ground.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Question new cts v 2005

Just took delivery of a new 2005 cts v. I have sold a few of my customers these cars in the last year or so. I sold my 2001 zo6 about 1 1/2 ago and missed having it, but wanted a car that seats 4 and still has the performance. I went back and asked these people I sold them to and all of them said they loved the car and have beat the hell out of them with no problems. I drove mine over the weekend and I am happy, but I need more power. I am planning on the B & B exhaust without the resonators and the new Jet PERF hand held computer. I was a little disappointed with your dyno test, but got to believe that car had a little to do with it, the exhaust and the weight. My z06 dyno was at 368 with only a jet module at the time. I never did any other mods. The car was always fast enough. If you think there is a better exhaust with more power than the B & B let me know. Also. What air box system is the best? I am going to change the rotors to slotted and drilled and some 20" tires and wheels. We are in the auto brokering business and have a very large custom wheel, tire and accessories business here in surf city California all under one roof. We plan to use this and other vehicles we have as show case vehicles to sell others on the cars and trucks and boltons, Performance and looks. Thanks Wayne

Last edited by slickshifter; 03-14-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Default need some help

Originally Posted by LEO
Just a few hours ago I witnessed a beautiful, paper-plated, silver CTS-V dynoed at MTI. The car is definitely the nicest car GM has in it's line-up.

BTW, anyone wanna guess what this Silver Terror dynoed?
Just took delivery of a new 2005 cts v. I have sold a few of my customers these cars in the last year or so. I sold my 2001 zo6 about 1 1/2 ago and missed having it, but wanted a car that seats 4 and still has the performance. I went back and asked these people I sold them to and all of them said they loved the car and have beat the hell out of them with no problems. I drove mine over the weekend and I am happy, but I need more power. I am planning on the B & B exhaust without the resonators and the new Jet PERF hand held computer. I was a little disappointed with your dyno test, but got to believe that car had a little to do with it, the exhaust and the weight. My z06 dyno was at 368 with only a jet module at the time. I never did any other mods. The car was always fast enough. If you think there is a better exhaust with more power than the B & B let me know. Also. What air box system is the best? I am going to change the rotors to slotted and drilled and some 20" tires and wheels. We are in the auto brokering business and have a very large custom wheel, tire and accessories business here in surf city California all under one roof. We plan to use this and other vehicles we have as show case vehicles to sell others on the cars and trucks and boltons, Performance and looks. Thanks Wayne
Old 03-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MTI
Since Leo is SLOW to answer, I'll do it for him.

It dynoed 318 - 319 rwhp. No, that is not a typo. We were just as disappointed. I checked the programming and it is virtually the same as the Z06 Vette. Exhaust is not too bad but there is a huge resonator in the middle of the car that merges both pipes together. Must costs some power there. Dropped the air box and put a K&N cone on the end of the MAF and only picked up another 6 rwhp.

MTI Stage II heads/cam are next...

Hello all. I am new to this forum but wanted to post my dyno results as well. They were, unfortunately, as disappointing as MTI's. I did two runs 1 minute apart at Strope's Speed Shop in Washington, PA. The results were as follows:

Run #1 = 316.0 RWHP, 309.6 RWTQ
Run #2 = 312.2 RWHP, 302.6 RWTQ

It was a fairly cool day (intake temps were measured at 65.2 for each run). The only thing I can say in this vehicle's defense with regard to these numbers is that it had 860 miles on it at the time of the dynos. The good follks at Stropes said they had witnessed a similar baseline with an '04 only to have it in the 330-335 RWHP range with no additional mods after it had about 5K on the odometer. They felt this was due to this motor's tendnecy to provide more HP once it "loosened up" a bit.

I now have nearly 3K miles on it and will have it in the shop in the next 2 weeks to have the following mods made:

Lingenfelter CAI
Stainless Works headers (Jet Hot coated inside and out and O2 sensor bung installed to help w/ tuning)
Stainless works complete exhaust w/ x-pipe and high-flow cats
BMR Anti-Wheel Hop kit
Strope's Custom Dyno Tune

I will get one more baseline dyno before the mods are done to see if this magical "loosening" has occurred prior to modding and, of course, one done afterwards to show the final results. I will be certain to post the results here. As my avatar indicates, I'm shooting for high 12's while retaining drive quality. With these mods, I hope this is attainable even with my rather significant (350lb) a** in the driver's seat.

If not, there is a Magnuson in my future...
Old 03-14-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Well, we have an '05, and I can say I have driven it hard from 7 miles on, and other V owners have driven and confirm it runs strong compared to their cars.

I now have 4500 miles and noticed that my rpm at 70 was 2000, now its 1700. I have built and am getting ready for production a cradle stabilizer kit, and also modified my stock exhaust, I am now able to get the T/C to come on shifting into 4th.

So I am hoping for a hi 12 when and if winter ever ends.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 AM
MRR
Teching In

Originally Posted by CTSV05
I now have 4500 miles and noticed that my rpm at 70 was 2000, now its 1700. I have built and am getting ready for production a cradle stabilizer kit, and also modified my stock exhaust, I am now able to get the T/C to come on shifting into 4th.
How in the world did your RPMs change?? Did you change gears or something??

MRR
Old 03-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MRR

MRR
I was wondering the same thing. Short of a gear swap I did not think that was possible.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

What happened to everyone calling BS? If anything is BS it is certainly that post.

If it turns out that this car is actually making @360HP instead of 400, I am definitely going to do something about it, and I don't mean spend a bunch of my money on aftermarket parts. This will be a serious case of false advertisement. My license plate reads 400HP V8 and I will not be happy if GM has turned me into a liar.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 30thWS6
What happened to everyone calling BS? If anything is BS it is certainly that post.
Are you referring to my post as BS? I am new to this forum but I feel compelled to ask you why you think I would BS everyone here and underrate [BOLD]my own vehicle's[/BOLD] dyno numbers. Hell, I'd love to tell you that I dynoed out at 385 RWHP on a stock V but what good would that do? If you are still inclined to call me a liar I will scan the sheets and post them but you could always call Stropes directly and ask them too. My last name is Tomlin and the dyno was conducted on 2/2/05 at 2:06pm.

http://www.stropespeedshop.com/
724-228-1166

I agree that the numbers fall well short of what was advertised and may even join you in an organized effort to try and right this wrong. I've just never heard "welcome to the forum" phrased in quite that way before...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MRR

MRR
Nope, I think as the motor has "Loosened Up" it is not working as hard as when the mileage was under 1000.

The car definitely has gotten stronger as the motor breaks in.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Teching In

That is indeed good news. I will take a few extra ponies wherever I can grab 'em. I am looking forward to my upcoming "pre-mod" dyno to see if the motor has released any extra horses in the last 2000 miles or so.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Nope, I think as the motor has "Loosened Up" it is not working as hard as when the mileage was under 1000.

This car has a manual transmission so engine rpm is directly proportional to speed for given gear and tire diameter. The ratio of rpm to mph can not change regardless of the power or age (unless your clutch is very, very shot)

Tony

Quick Reply: CTS-V dynoed