Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Passenger side trailing arm & fenders rubbing with new wheels & tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well on my drive home from work this morning (gotta love the night shift) I got a little more confident and gave it a bit of a more agreeive run on a few curvy on/off ramps. I wanted to listen for any rubbing and also be able to look in the wheel wells for evidence of problem areas. Unfortunately, that idea backfired on me and I might have f***ed a brand new tire. Passenger side rear fender at about 4 O'Clock took a nice effin trench out of my brand new tire. It's not on the sidewall, but not really through the main tread either, so I'm not sure if the structural integrity of the tire is now ruined, or if the tire is still safe to run. I've emailed pictures to my contact at the US supplier for his opinion, since he's extremely familliar with the construction of the tire. We'll see what he thinks. If it needs to be replaced, hopefully he'll be able to hook me up with a really good deal on the replacement. Ugh... This sucks. All I wanted to do was bolt some nice new "shoes" onto my car and enjoy it for the summer .... nooooo ... it's gotta fight even that simple mod.

Also, I called a few body shops this morning. Nobody that I got a hold of (keep in mind it was a Saturday morning) was very receptive to rolling fenders. All 4 shops I talked to said that the paint WILL chip and that they probably wouldn't be interested in doing the work. Yet another road block... Ugh...

A few pics of the damaged tire:

Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plz tell me you got your tires from discount tire or something like that
Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Why's that?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

because before I got my fenders rolled that happened to me. I brought my car in, wiped off the inner fender so they couldnt feel rubber that had burnt off on the inside of the fender. Told them I ran something over and they replaced them. Only thing I had to pay for was 35$ and some change for new tire pressure sensor crap
Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be that lucky. That trench goes all the way around the tire in a perfect line. Pretty clear that it was self inflicted. Also, I bought the tires direct from a contact I made at the manufacturer's American distributor. He made an exception and sold directly to me. I sent him an email with a few pics and explanation of what happened. Hopefully he'll give his expert opinion and if that's to replace the fire, maybe he'll be able to cut me a special deal of some sort. Here's hoping anyway...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

ill cross my fingers for ya, I know tires arent cheap these days
Old 06-12-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

The paint won't chip if the shop heats up the area with a heat gun or blow dryer. The two different shops who did my fender rolling didn't chip the paint at all.

If you can't find a shop to do the work, look up the baseball bat method and do it yourself.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info tweeter. I've come across that baseball bat method as well as modified version of that using ABS pipe instead of the bat.
I'm scared shitless to do this myself, but I might have to because I haven't found a local shop that'll do it yet.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Well I gave the ABS pipe method a try tonight. Jacked up the corner, heated the paint with the wife's hair dryer for a good 10 minutes, then slowly lowered it onto the ABS; attempting to wedge it between the tire and the fender. Unfortunately the area I'm trying to roll is at about the 3 O'clock position and doesn't really lend itself to wedging the ABS between it and the tire. So, that was a fail... No damage though (glass half full thinking).
ALSO .. guys ... can anyone confirm for me where I cut the stock springs from? I don't cut the tight top coil off, do I?? It makes a lot more sense to me to cut from the bottom of the spring, but in doing that you're also eliminating that bottom "flat" coil that makes the spring sit nicely in the bottom perch. Is it ok to cut that flat coil off?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry you're not down here by me, otherwise I'd let you use my Roller. They are available for rent from Tire Rack, or you can buy one from Eastwood like I did and rent it out to locals.

I did the same thing to a tire before I rolled my fenders, went with some Wider Hankooks on my Miata, and when I took a turn sharp while racing, I saw a flurry of black shavings flying up from the fender, which was the result of my tire being cheese-grated against the fender. It sucked, but the tire lasted over a year of daily driving and once a month autocrosses.

-meaty
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I had a simialr problem on both of my last cars. Not that i like that hella flush bullshit but I do like a nice wide tire and rim. Well i drove for over a year on tires that were well sliced by a fender... and it held up fine.

Guess I need to find a roller in MD again.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Well I can't seem to find any local body shops that are willing to roll my fenders. I get the same answers from all of them ... first it's a long pause, then it's "well, what do you mean by roll your fenders", then I take a deep breath and explain, then they answer "well the paint is going to crack...", then I hang up. Ugh!

I got a call from the tire manufacturer's rep today. He had a look at the pics I sent him of the damage. He said he couldn't "officially" say that the tire was fine, but that off the record he was confident that the 'damage' was strictly cosmetic and doesn't appear that it'll have any effect on safety or performance. He also said he'd take a picture of a cross-section of that tire that they have, to shop me exactly how far my 'damage' is from being a safety/performance concern. Great guy. Thumbs up.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tweeter81
If you can't find a shop to do the work, look up the baseball bat method and do it yourself.
just brought me back to 1996 man... trying to fit anteras on my honda with an aggressive offset. a 2x4 with a bat was the tool of choice... lol.

icing on the cake, they were 3 stars

wes, i'm positive that's just cosmetic. i've seen and driven on much worse in the past. my current 285/25/20 nitto invos have some minor scuffs on the sidewall from aggressive driving as they tuck so much when doing so. they tuck almost to the rim now, i've been told by other witnesses (friends) that when they see me turning aggressive the V looks like a damn sled and tucks the 2 tires taking all the force like a champ.

Last edited by tony tone; 06-15-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM

I am asking a shop that rents these tools out to make one with our bolt pattern. If that happens you would just rent the "CTS-V" tool from them.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

most of them have universal hubs with rather long rectangles with rounded edges for studs. the one used on mine only had 4 holes.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM

i was on eastwoods site and they have 6 lug adapters but only up to 107mm not our115..

So if this shop gets one made... we can all rent it.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

No luck finding a fender rolling tool around here, unfortunately. I was able to find one single body guy that said he can do the job after work on tuesday, no problem. He said he doesn't use that tool though, just lots of duct tape, a hammer, and lots of finesse. He didn't seem worried at all about doing it, but I'm a little leery of the hammer method. But how do I argue with a guy that's been doing this for decades? Anyway, that's a possibility now. Once I raise the rear back up a bit, this fender might not even be an issue anymore anyway. Then I'll just have to worry about the trailing arm and an alignment.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Wanna wait until this guy can do it for us? I have been PMing him about it for a while now. If there is enough interest they can just fab up an adapter and we can all take turns renting it and doing it the "right" way.

Either way make sure the paint is as hot as possible before rolling and keep heat on it as you go. My subaru's paint cracked a little but 2 years later had no issues.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wes8398
No luck finding a fender rolling tool around here, unfortunately. I was able to find one single body guy that said he can do the job after work on tuesday, no problem. He said he doesn't use that tool though, just lots of duct tape, a hammer, and lots of finesse. He didn't seem worried at all about doing it, but I'm a little leery of the hammer method. But how do I argue with a guy that's been doing this for decades? Anyway, that's a possibility now. Once I raise the rear back up a bit, this fender might not even be an issue anymore anyway. Then I'll just have to worry about the trailing arm and an alignment.
Take Biggie's advice and just wait. The hammer method sounds like a disaster waiting to happen...

Quick Reply: Passenger side trailing arm & fenders rubbing with new wheels & tires