Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Passenger side trailing arm & fenders rubbing with new wheels & tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggie - yah, that would be great. Unfortunately I'm really antsy to get these winter tires off the car, and I'm not sure how long I can wait.
Depending on how the cut springs work out, I might be fine waiting a while though.
Of course, theres still the trailing arm issue too ...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

And yah, I'm thinking the hammer method is too risky too. Probably gonna pass on that offer.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ctsvbiggie - is the guy you're working with the guy that runs rollyourfender.com? I sent them an email the other day and he wrote back saying that he's working with someone on an adapter to fit our lug pattern...

Also, can anyone speak to installing MAP trailing arms? What's there to it?

Lastly, I need to make sure of how to cut our OEM rear springs. Ive already been instructed to cut from the 'open end' and that I would know which end that was when I saw it. Well, I took a good look at em, and I can't tell which end it is. They both look 'closed' to me, as neither end would 'continue on into space' like 'open ends' have been described to me. lol
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wes8398
Ctsvbiggie - is the guy you're working with the guy that runs rollyourfender.com? I sent them an email the other day and he wrote back saying that he's working with someone on an adapter to fit our lug pattern...

Also, can anyone speak to installing MAP trailing arms? What's there to it?

Lastly, I need to make sure of how to cut our OEM rear springs. Ive already been instructed to cut from the 'open end' and that I would know which end that was when I saw it. Well, I took a good look at em, and I can't tell which end it is. They both look 'closed' to me, as neither end would 'continue on into space' like 'open ends' have been described to me. lol
Bueller?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
Bueller?
the open end is the end that has the bigger coils (the side it is sitting on...) you need the smaller coil at the top so it sits back in the car correctly
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the clarification. That's what made sense to me too, but from the definitions of open ends that I've read, neither of those ends are open. Anyway, one more question then. When people speak of cutting off 1 or 1 1/4 coils, is that PLUS the flattened coil, or are they basically just cutting off the flattened coil?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

I cut my stock springs this afternoon and swapped 'em in place of the h&r's. For those of you saying that the MM spacers were what was making me "too low", can you explain how these 'new' springs now have my rear fenders a 1/2 inch higher with spacers still installed? After cut spring install and a drive around to seat them, my rear fenders are now between 26 3/8" and 26 1/2" off the floor with the cut springs and MM spacers. Half an hour prior, with the H&R's and MM's, my rear fenders were 25 7/8" off the floor.

With cut OEM springs and MM's installed:

What I took off the OEM springs:

Fender measurements were all taken with the OEM wheels and 245/45-18 Toyo Observe Garit winter tires on them. For the last week and a half or so I've been driving around with my summer 'shoes' on the front, and my winter (oem) 'shoes' on the back because of the fitment issues with the LC's (Linea Corse's). As much as I hated to do it, I didn't want to wear down the winter tires any more than I had to. This 80+ degree weather is far from ideal for a winter tire in terms of longevity. lol
So, I didn't take the pics til after I put the LC's back on the back, so I could compare pictures from when I had the H&R's on with them to now.

Quick Reply: Passenger side trailing arm & fenders rubbing with new wheels & tires