Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stock and lightly modded Vs watch out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that 46k+ price tag is right I would have a tough time spending that much on a Hyundai, I don't care how nice it is. Same reason Ford didn't sell many SHO's, not many people are gonna spend 50k on a taurus. I'm gonna have to see some real numbers from the track to believe they'll keep up.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny6
But guess what?? It's still a Hyunduh! It could be platinum with 1000hp but at the end of the day it's still a turd.
Just a reality check, you drive a 4 year old $20k Cadillac, not a Bugatti or a lambo lol.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take an "old" cadillac over a new shiny me too anyday though

Seriously though, who cares about the price (this one that though comparisons)...it's the substance, quality and value of the vehicle that is important and one thing that's worth the most to me, is satisfaction everyday I go wherever it is I need to and if I can do it for a low price, even better. I never bought this car because of the brand, but for what it is and there's just nothing like it for the price and yet, it still stands out, but not in a flashy, look at me way...
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Launching!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/21/2...-drive-review/

They are very good at copying things. They will probably get the brakes and the other issues sorta out in the next few years. I still love my V1, but the technology is 04. I expect there will be more of the same from other manufacturers over the next few years.

I'm still undecided whether I keep this car and go forced induction or I stop now and look for a used V2 in a few years. I was looking at prices yesterday and I still need them to come down another 10k.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Just a reality check, you drive a 4 year old $20k Cadillac, not a Bugatti or a lambo lol.
Exactly, a Cadillac and not any Caddy but a V and i don't care how old it is because it's a freaking V I could never see myself spending that much money on a Hyundai no matter how much they improved. My wife owns a 2010 Sonata and what a piece of **** it is I'm glad she's paying for it and not me, it has 16k miles and it seems like the whole interior rattles, it's probably been to the dealer 15+ times, it feels like it's falling apart but hey! They improved right?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, a Cadillac and not any Caddy but a V and i don't care how old it is because it's a freaking V I could never see myself spending that much money on a Hyundai no matter how much they improved. My wife owns a 2010 Sonata and what a piece of **** it is I'm glad she's paying for it and not me, it has 16k miles and it seems like the whole interior rattles, it's probably been to the dealer 15+ times, it feels like it's falling apart but hey! They improved right?
You're missing the point. With an attitude like that, it's OK to rank the Vs with some of the older Cadillacs of a decade or so ago.

"I'd never spend that much on a Cadillac no matter how much they improved."

Give credit where credit is due. Just sayin'.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

^ thats not fair...that car was such a turd and the worst thing they ever made.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

..so yall are like roommates with your own separate money? I do agree though, no way in hell im buying a Hyundai no matter how much they dress it up.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
You're missing the point. With an attitude like that, it's OK to rank the Vs with some of the older Cadillacs of a decade or so ago.

"I'd never spend that much on a Cadillac no matter how much they improved."

Give credit where credit is due. Just sayin'.
Seriously? One bad car that Cadillac made is all you got? Ok let's go back a few years (we don't even need to go back a decade) and name 1 decent car Hyundai made This Korean company woke up one day and "we're going to try and make decent vehicles" and all of the sudden they have have an impeccable reputation? I don't think so. I guess i'm going to start hiring drug addicts that walk up to me and say "I decided to stop using today" And i'll give them my full trust! Hyundai's are pieces of **** and they will always be pieces of **** and i'm reminded of this everytime i sit in my wife's car.

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
..so yall are like roommates with your own separate money? I do agree though, no way in hell im buying a Hyundai no matter how much they dress it up.
We have our own separate bank accounts, a marriage prenup and every bill is split between us down the middle, we take turns paying for groceries and entertainment. We both have good enough careers where we can make this possible, i never believed in sharing a bank account and never will, we don't ever want kids so that won't be an issue. Been married for 6 years now i'm 27 and everything has been working great
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We have our own separate bank accounts, a marriage prenup and every bill is split between us down the middle, we take turns paying for groceries and entertainment. We both have good enough careers where we can make this possible, i never believed in sharing a bank account and never will, we don't ever want kids so that won't be an issue. Been married for 6 years now i'm 27 and everything has been working great
The number 1 reason people get divorced is over Money issues.

Sounds like you got no problem with that

-meaty
Old 06-25-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are forgetting the Cimarron (sp?) as perhaps the worst car Cadillac made.

There was a period in the 70's and 80's that Cadillac made some not so good cars, but hardly any manufacturer did then. But, compared to other marques, they were still nice cars.

If you recall the saying, "it's the Cadillac of xxxx"...Not so sure that holds true anymore, but it stuck for a reason.

If you focus too much on the 'interior' of this car, you're missing the point of what it is and its purpose. You'll never get everything out of a single mass produced car (i.e. CTS in which it's based) and just pick what is best for you and what you can afford...Sometimes the internet reminds me of reading consumer reports, lol, and it's funny to read the hearsay and lack of appreciation for what a car really is and how complex they are and that they need to be made to compromise. The beauty of these V's (and many other GM's for instance) is it makes an excellent BASE for whatever it is you want to make out of it...It's a 4-door car remember and it does quite well for its limitations.

Hyundai and the like are neat when they are new, but they age and fade from memory. I test drove a genesis 2.0T coupe and looked at the other offerings they had and can't say I was too impressed, other than they have improved in the "look" and possibility of being better cars...I have no clue what they are really like and as I mentioned, will have to wait and see hold they hold up. I try to look past the packaging (looks) when I buy or make judgement on a product. the chinese (products) are like that many times more than not...Initial glance, they copied the look quite well, but when you start sitting down and looking at the true quality and what it's made of and then compare it to something of good quality, you can see right past the fluff.

Cars like the V though, stand the time and are like fine wine, where they age gracefully. They are still too new for most people to be able to appreciate that fact and be interesting to see the survivors in 10-15+ years. I know not everybody will agree with this, and that's fine, but that's my opinion of being heavily "around" cars for the past 23 years or so.

Anyway, for those too young to remember...here is perhaps the worst Caddy and biggest joke:

Wow, I knew they made them in early 80's, but was reading they made up until 1988, crap.

Last edited by JNR_Design; 06-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hyundai as of 2011 is spot on. The redesigned Sonata is leaps and bounds better than the 2010 and also WAY nicer on the inside than our Vs. The Equus is simply amazing.

With that being said, it is sad that there is still the stigma of driving a "Hyundai". However, I am sure that in a few years, once everyone realizes how good they are (10yr/100k mile warrranty to back it up), the opinion will change.

But for now, i'm fine with my modded '07 V and 6.2 Raptor.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Warranty is only as strong as the company behind it, fwiw...Hyundai is a large industrial company and this is just a small side product that could come or go.

Do you remember Super Shops or Montgomery Ward? Those were strong warranties but now are useless....

Not saying this is what will happen, but don't get fooled so quickly by promises, is all I'm saying...
Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whisler151
Hyundai as of 2011 is spot on. The redesigned Sonata is leaps and bounds better than the 2010 and also WAY nicer on the inside than our Vs. The Equus is simply amazing.

With that being said, it is sad that there is still the stigma of driving a "Hyundai". However, I am sure that in a few years, once everyone realizes how good they are (10yr/100k mile warrranty to back it up), the opinion will change.

But for now, i'm fine with my modded '07 V and 6.2 Raptor.
Of course there's going to be a stigma, you can't fix a 20+ year reputation of being a cheap poor quality automaker in a couple of years, it's going to take time and lot's of it. You say the the 2011 Sonata is so much better and redesigned but guess what? They said the same thing about the previous generation which only got worse as time progressed. I don't care how much nicer their interior is, atleast mine isn't rattleling apart. Guess how many rattles my 07 V has with 50k miles? Zero, not even my Camaro rattles as much as my wife's Sonata and i have polyurethane everything and 450+rwhp

I will never purchase a vehicle from them in my lifetime, why? Because at the end of the day it's still a Hyundai and it will depreciate and deteriorate like a Hyundai, this is one thing that will never change.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Warranty is only as strong as the company behind it, fwiw...Hyundai is a large industrial company and this is just a small side product that could come or go.
I bet they'll be around a lot longer than GM...
Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They came out with that warranty thing back when the economy crisis started didn't they? It's been a while, and they're still here and doing fairly well. Can't say that about other automakers though.

Both my CTS & 'bird came with a ton of criticisms about the brand from people that were too focused on generalizations to see a good car right in front of them. Whatever, my Cadi was comfortable and stylish, and my Pontiac can move out.

Let those that want to be blind stay ignorant. It's good to see automakers making some good cars and offering each other some competition.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of course there's going to be a stigma, you can't fix a 20+ year reputation of being a cheap poor quality automaker in a couple of years, it's going to take time and lot's of it. You say the the 2011 Sonata is so much better and redesigned but guess what? They said the same thing about the previous generation which only got worse as time progressed. I don't care how much nicer their interior is, atleast mine isn't rattleling apart. Guess how many rattles my 07 V has with 50k miles? Zero, not even my Camaro rattles as much as my wife's Sonata and i have polyurethane everything and 450+rwhp

I will never purchase a vehicle from them in my lifetime, why? Because at the end of the day it's still a Hyundai and it will depreciate and deteriorate like a Hyundai, this is one thing that will never change.
I know you are new to the V but...really? Have you seen GM the last 20 years...crap. Hyundai is the only company that will guarantee the trade in value when you buy the car. I bought my V brand new over 4 years ago and its worth less than half what I paid. The Hyundai gives you better then that in 4 years. I'm sorry your wife bought a 2010, the 2011 was such a step up. Oh well, it is what it is.

Originally Posted by aurora40
I bet they'll be around a lot longer than GM...
I agree. I wont be the first to run out and buy a Hyundai but I respect what they make. I have seen and driven the Genissis sedan and seen first hand the Equus, and damn...that is a nice car. Our Vs were decent in 2004-2005, when I got mine in 2007 it was WAY outdated. I got it cause it was fast, had 4 doors and was American. There weren't many other choices in 2007. Infared technology to input addresses...really? WTF?

If anyone is on the ball its Ford...they have stepped it up royally. My next car will not be a V2, it will be a Boss 302 Stang.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know you are new to the V but...really? Have you seen GM the last 20 years...crap. Hyundai is the only company that will guarantee the trade in value when you buy the car. I bought my V brand new over 4 years ago and its worth less than half what I paid. The Hyundai gives you better then that in 4 years. I'm sorry your wife bought a 2010, the 2011 was such a step up. Oh well, it is what it is.
completely agree...since the mid 70s, GM has been making mostly crap. they are just now starting to catch up. hence why they needed Tax Dollars to keep the company afloat. and Cadillac for that matter was VERY VERY close to being dropped from the GM brand.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. I wont be the first to run out and buy a Hyundai but I respect what they make.
I won't either. But I think their engine is impressive. And I'm glad to see that if a new foreign automaker is going to step it up, it's not from China.

I sorta agree on Ford, they are obviously doing the right thing big picture, but they don't make anything that excites me. I really wanted to consider a Ford when I was shopping for the V, but there just wasn't anything I could get on board with. The SHO is too heavy, expensive and doesn't pack enough horses or brakes.

The 'stang at the time was the 4.6, which didn't pack nearly enough horses. Though I also really don't like the "retro" styling of them.

I also think Ford is ultimately doomed to either failure, or offshoring, due to the unionization here.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aurora40
I also think Ford is ultimately doomed to either failure, or offshoring, due to the unionization here.
Anyone who has to contend with the UAW pretty much is doomed to fail...

I'd certainly love to get my hands on one of the new Boss 302's though...

As a side note, this is only the second American car I have ever bought. I like it, but I was shopping around for a Lexus before I found the Cadillac. I hate knowing that when I buy a part for this car from the dealership, I'm supporting GM. *shudder*

-meaty

Quick Reply: Stock and lightly modded Vs watch out!