Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear trailing arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed them couple weeks ago and happy with the results. There is less body roll under cornering and have not noticed any nvh. I am pleased with them and easy to install using c-clamp and large socket to press the factory ones out.

I have looked at the bmr and map trailing arms but wouldn't be surprised if this bushing upgrade on a stock trailing arm can do as much for firming things up then those beefier trailing arms do using the stock knuckle bushing. If anybody has compared these 2 setups would be curious to what they thought and if upgrading trailing arms is worth it considering don't need the room for larger wheel/tire at this time.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by kevm14
I'm not sure deflection in the twisting direction really proves anything. Obviously if the bushing is actually worn out, then that should be replaced.
What other direction would matter more? That twisting would (actually, does, based on my experience) allow dynamic toe change when the rear is loaded. There was an immediately noticeable difference in the rear when I took the car to the track after installing these.

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
I guess calling them rear lower knuckle control arm bushings wasn't as catchy huh? lol
There's only one knuckle, so I'm not sure what the lower knuckle would be. And the bushings are not for the control arms, they're for the trailing arms.

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Reading the description on their site, it says they come out with a C-clamp? I thought those were tighter press fit bushings. Hmmm.
It literally takes a minute or so with a C-clamp and a bigass socket (or piece of pipe or something to use as a spacer big enough to fit around the bushing). From what I could see the rubber of the stock bushing is lightly bonded to the knuckle. I was surprised just how easily they came out.

Originally Posted by garrettg
I have looked at the bmr and map trailing arms but wouldn't be surprised if this bushing upgrade on a stock trailing arm can do as much for firming things up then those beefier trailing arms do using the stock knuckle bushing. If anybody has compared these 2 setups would be curious to what they thought and if upgrading trailing arms is worth it considering don't need the room for larger wheel/tire at this time.
I would imagine you're right. The stock front bushing seems pretty solid (it's to be some sort of rubber / spherical bearing mix), so I don't think the MAP trailing arms offered much of an improvement there. I only got them for the added wheel clearance.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
There's only one knuckle, so I'm not sure what the lower knuckle would be. And the bushings are not for the control arms, they're for the trailing arms.
The bushing is part of the knuckle.....where the trailing arm attaches. It's not actually part of the trailing arm.

The name was a joke, geesh.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a side note, how much tire clearance do you gain with the MAP trailing arms? Like, how big of a tire can you get in there w/o rubbing?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appears some of the tram-lining my car does with the 2.4 negative camber setting in the rear has diminished to almost nothing. I believe these bushings do help preserve toe settings under hard loading. Won't be at the track until Monday, however I can sense a difference in the way the rear of the car comes around even on the street.

Quick Reply: Rear trailing arm bushings