Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

An assortment of in-car track day vids from the past couple years

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happened at the 6:38 mark? tire squeal. got off line a tad?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The lack of runoff on that track, especially after the long straight, is a little disconcerting.
Originally Posted by westwopper
Agreed! The exit after the tunnel w/ jersey barrier to the right looks interesting. I see a donut on it and can only image the type of adjustment that would do to my car.
There are definitely folks that don't like it, but it doesn't really bother me. Just keep it on the track. Coming out of the tunnel and onto the main straight, all that stuff on the right is tire bundles in front of an earthen berm. The only concrete is the tunnel itself.

Unfortunately, it appears to be an example of a road course designed by well-intentioned folks who didn't consult with road course people before they built the place. I think the suboptimal aspects of the layout could've been fixed easily in the design phase, but now that they've moved a lot of earth and laid down the asphalt, it's not so easy to fix.

Despite all that, I think it's a fun track.

Originally Posted by demang
what happened at the 6:38 mark? tire squeal. got off line a tad?
Too much braking while trying to turn in. That turn is a bitch - it's turn 7 in this track map that I labelled:

You can see it's about a 120deg turn, and really it's even more than that because I track out to the left coming out of 6A/B.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Hasn't been any activity in this thread in quite a while. I got to 1 more event in 2018, at the end of September, but unfortunately that event was cut short because I developed an engine tick at the end of day 1. That ended up being a chip on one of the cam lobes, which took me forever to fix , thereby wiping out the 2019 season for me.

The HPDE season normally kicks off in the mid-to-late March time frame here in the Mid-Atlantic, and of course that's about when all of the COVID restrictions went into place in 2020, so it was another slow track season. There were a few spring / early summer events that I would've been interested in attending that were cancelled, and by the later summer, when events started to be run again, I was engaged and looking at an early October wedding, so taking a weekend off to go play was not in the cards. After the wedding, though, I had an opportunity to get back out on track for the first time in over 2 years, so 2020 wasn't a total loss.

The first weekend in November I went to VIR to run with the Potomac-Chesapeake Chapter of the Audi Club. They do this event every year - first weekend in November, full course at VIR - and looking back through my old videos it looks like I've gotten to the event 6 times since 2012 in either the V or my Subaru. I love VIR, so it's a great way to cap off the season!

I was definitely rusty, having been away from the track for so long. In the first session on Saturday I felt very tentative behind the wheel, didn't really trust the grip that was available. I had no issues with the track or the driving line, that pretty much came right back to me, but my butt g-meter was definitely off. By the second session, though, I was already feeling way better and was willing to push the car harder.

Here are a couple of clips, one from Saturday, one from Sunday. Lazy me never bothered to hook up my PDR, 2nd camera, OBDII datalogger, and GPS antenna, so I don't have the cool data overlays or picture-in-picture like my videos from the past few years have had. And stupid me forgot to shift Windows Movie Maker to "widescreen" mode when I captured the first video, so the video is shrunken down in size; fixed that for the Sunday clip, and didn't feel like going back to re-do the Saturday clip.

Pardon my potty mouth in this first clip - I was quite impressed by quickly the C7 Z06/07 zipped through the Uphill Esses ahead of me.

The following users liked this post:
azn2dmax (11-18-2020)

Quick Reply: An assortment of in-car track day vids from the past couple years