Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

MAF Sensor - Screened?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MAF Sensor - Screened?

Maybe a silly question, but are the LS2 Mass Air Flow Sensors screened from the factory?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy enough to find out. I know ls1s are and the 85mm on the ls6 have screens.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting...I'm pretty sure my LS2 GTO had a screen, as well.

Reason I ask is I was putting back on the air filter and thought about no screen (on mine) and trying to figure out how the ECU can get a good calc without some sort of straightener or straight length of tube before/after (most flowmeters, you need x times diameter of straight uninterupted airflow for accuracy, or some sort of straightening device (like a screen)). That is industrial equipment, but figure it applies to cars as well, but on a much smaller scale, so perhaps they can get away with out it. This is one thing that bothered me when people 'descreened' the MAF sensor thinking it helps, when it doesn't, unless you address it in another way (lke relocate in a straight path).

It doesn't look like there is evidence of a screen being there at one time, but want to double check the PO didn't do something stupid.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think every GM MAF I've worked with/come across has had a screen from the factory.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I think every GM MAF I've worked with/come across has had a screen from the factory.
i dont think the LS3 or 7 have screens, i have a descreened ls1 maf on my mustang. I doubt itll help or hurt really.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No screen on my ls2 or on a replacement either. Ls3 is a cartridge style MAf, no screen.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

No screen on mine
Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knocked mine the F out, seriously
Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, guys...sounds like they don't have a screen then oem. Just wanted to double-check while it was on my mind. Like I said, didn't seem like one was removed either but wanted to be sure. Most all the other GM MAF sensors have had screens in my experience, as well, so that's why I thought it was funny. But, I did notice this one has a split bar, if you will, across the center and (3) sensors, so maybe that is how they get the flow calcs correctly; don't know, just curious...Obviously it works then with this design (screenless).

On a side note, I cleaned those sensors (ever so gently lol) and it seemed to help get rid of some of the surging I was getting at part throttle and smoothed the idle a little. Just a heads up for a maintenance item from time to time (esp with K&N's and being so close)...USE CAUTION though if/when you do, as you don't want to break those leads! They have a spray at auto parts store that I would recommend instead of the method I did, just to avoid messing up a working MAF.

Also, does anybody know if they sell sensor harness extensions? I'd like to move my MAF more in the middle when I do my custom intake...
Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
This is one thing that bothered me when people 'descreened' the MAF sensor thinking it helps, when it doesn't, unless you address it in another way (lke relocate in a straight path).

It doesn't look like there is evidence of a screen being there at one time, but want to double check the PO didn't do something stupid.
You are correct, the older style MAFs being descreened causes higher fluctuations of the hz signal >> thus the g/sec.. this was extensively talked about on HPTuners...
Easily seen with scans... how wild the frequency gets without the screen on the old MAFs.
it does absolutely nothing but cause error in your tune, the lower rpms are affected more so, so your light driving and idle...
of course, its a VE blend... but you REALLY notice if you change to a MAF only with a screen punched out...

The new Hitachi slot styles are very good at collecting the air and dont require screens... also remembering GMs intake track design BOTH before and after the sensor affect the airflow...

Last edited by vmapper; 07-21-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28C4maro82z
I knocked mine the F out, seriously
You should scan and see the 100+Hz spikes you have now and cause a less stable AFR... (easily double than with the screen in). Smooth air is what you want. Rather than jumping 4-5 MAF curve table cells idling, (worse with cammed cars)... the screen brings it down to 1...
Its not worth anything punching it out and only detrimental. It was a huge thing in 1999 / 2000... but people eventually learn...

Last edited by vmapper; 07-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor - Screened?