Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Radar Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
I would think he wouldn't give you a ticket just because you have a detector (can't actually unless your in VA/DC is it?), but may be more apt to believe you go around speeding because you have that device in the car and you're up to no good in that sense. (not saying you are, but from an officer's pov and not knowing the person, I would think)...I'm not a cop or in law enforcement, btw, but just saying what I would be thinking if I were in their shoes.
Good point, but i thought radar detectors were still illegal in majority of the states. Am I mistaken?

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
I'm kind of confused though. U said you wouldn't give a ticket but earlier you said you gave one last night?
I was confused to, I believe the post is kinda deceiving at first glance. I believe he means he gave a citation for speeding and then remembered to check for a radar detector and there it was, so it obviously didn't work so well for the speeder.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, they are legal in all states, except for VA and DC, unless you're a trucker I guess (didn't know that, but makes sense)...pasted from wiki:

United States

Law varies from state to state, but detectors are generally legal in private vehicles under the Communications Act of 1934[21] and illegal in commercial vehicles by DOT regulation (49 CFR 392.71). Exceptions: Illegal in all vehicles: Virginia, Washington D.C., U.S. military bases
Illegal in commercial vehicles under state law: Illinois, New York, New Jersey (specifically, commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) and all vehicles over 18,000 pounds (8,200 kg)) Also illegal in all commercial vehicles over 10000 lbs under US federal law
Prohibitions against affixing items to windshield - "obstructing vision"): Minnesota, California[22]
Repealed: Connecticut (repealed in 1992)[23]

Confiscation and/or destruction of the detector was once a common practice but lawsuits raised by drivers arguing violation of property rights have resulted in temporary removal while a citation is written, then return of the device after its description (make, model and serial number) has been entered on the ticket - usually for speeding and possession/operation of detector. Use of a radar/lidar detector on a military installation is prohibited. Persons entering a military installation with one visibly mounted to the sun visor or windshield will be asked to remove it and put it away. Those who refuse will be denied entry onto the installation at that time. Military law enforcement may not solely stop a vehicle for a detector being in use but, along with being stopped for another moving violation, the person using the detector may be ordered to report the violation to his/her unit commanding officer (active duty only).
Radar jammers are illegal under federal law, but laser jammers aren't specifically banned. Some states, such as Minnesota, have state laws banning laser jammers.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to add to this thread

here is my ghetto mount which lasted for 4 months.. clear packing tape on the windsheild/ suction cups + gorrila glue... the clear packing tape took a beating in the FL sun and now is toast. i got the V1 on the driver side visor still hardwired

im either doing this or one of those 50$ bullshit mounts.. the higher you get the radar the longer it's range so keeping that in mind, the OPs mount is more effective then the over prices rearview mirror mounts

Quick Reply: Radar Mount