Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

header/steering shaft rub

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Has anyone tried this? With the colder weather, I guess my UMI mounts have contracted, and I'm now getting some rub that gets worse when I turn right, for some reason. This wedge wood method looks like it's worth a try. I would imagine you would get it started, then start the car, and as the pipes heat up, you could tap it in further and further.

But most importantly, anyone tried this?
So you think that thin bushing that UMI uses was the cause? I can see a poly bushing doing this as it deteriorates but not a solid one like the UMI. have you inspected the UMI mounts from below. is the bushing cracking?

i would say just retract the steering shaft to get it out the way and a domed hammer to create some clearance. if thats not working for you, use a torch on low setting to heat up that small section of the runner.. you deff dont want to make the whole engine bay OP temp ~195* before you start sticking your hands up and around the block..
Old 10-20-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I was thinking the metal of the swivelig UMI mount was actually expanding and shrinking. Like aomeone else said, there was probably a pube's breadth in between the column and the headers when they were installed in the summer. Now that it's colder, the engine is sitting a tjny bit lowere, but enough to produce some rub.

You are probably right I should just get the steering column out of the way. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: header/steering shaft rub