Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need Help - Car Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Car Won't Start!

So about 3-4weeks ago I'm about to start the car so i can head out to work (morning) and it won't even try to turn over. All the bells and whistles are working fine, but no start, no security issue, nothing. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, connected it & it fired right up, no problems (and this is my daily).

Well this morning when I go to start the car, same thing happens. This time however, disconnecting the battery didn't help, still nothing. I ended up getting a ride to work.

Any ideas?

My 1st thought is the clutch position switch, 2nd thought maybe one of the starter wires is loose.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can smack your starter with a hammer if you think it's the problem.

Things usually start working after you smack them around a bit.

You could always push it down the street and pop the clutch and start it that way. At least you could get to someone/a stealership to read the code so you aren't throwing parts at it.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I will try smacking the starter and see what happens. Could Autozone's code readers be able to tell me what's going on (of, that is IF a code is being thrown), or do I HAVE to take it to the stealership for that?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ekshail
I will try smacking the starter and see what happens. Could Autozone's code readers be able to tell me what's going on (of, that is IF a code is being thrown), or do I HAVE to take it to the stealership for that?
They can probably tell you the code (if thrown), but then you'll have to decipher it to see what it means.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you're on the right track with the clutch sensor or starter. My TA I had to leave 1/2" of travel on the clutch to start it (couldn't floor it or it wouldn't start). Recently on the 'V the weatherproof connector on the starter solenoid just fell to pieces due to heat from the headers. I've been told that's a common problem to have.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Recently on the 'V the weatherproof connector on the starter solenoid just fell to pieces due to heat from the headers.

I didn't think to look at that carefully. I'll make sure to when I get home.
Does anyone know how to bypass the clutch switch?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I must have gremlins. After leaving the battery unplugged all day, I get home, hook it back up, and it fired right up. :weird:

Quick Reply: Need Help - Car Won't Start!