Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Thought I'd post a couple pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011 | 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Wait. What. The ruck is running almost 60PSI? jebus christ. Or is it full boost at over 75psi? do they make boost gauges that go that high?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APKoAp5Eiss
Old 09-19-2011 | 01:19 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Dont mind if I hate on you i hope.
Old 09-19-2011 | 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those tractor pulling trucks put out like 200 or 300 psig of boost, IIRC...are they running class 300 pipe fittings then, lol. Seriously, that is a lot of air pressure to contain and those must have some stout intercoolers and bottom ends!

It's cool diesels can make so much power, dumping so much fuel oil (diesel) in, but without the turbo, those things are absolute dogs. I think it's pretty neat they do have them and they've come so far in the past few years (average ones) and relatively easy to do with the $$$...The thing I *hate* about them though is the plumes of black smoke they become serious performers.

Now, imagine a large gas V8 engine that's using 25-30 psig of boost...You'd be putting a diesel to shame then
Old 09-19-2011 | 01:23 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Even that can be made to be funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWC0j...layer_embedded
Old 09-19-2011 | 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Dont mind if I hate on you i hope.
Cruise by, and I'll toss you the keys...no need to hate. <haha>

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Those tractor pulling trucks put out like 200 or 300 psig of boost, IIRC...are they running class 300 pipe fittings then, lol. Seriously, that is a lot of air pressure to contain and those must have some stout intercoolers and bottom ends!

It's cool diesels can make so much power, dumping so much fuel oil (diesel) in, but without the turbo, those things are absolute dogs. I think it's pretty neat they do have them and they've come so far in the past few years (average ones) and relatively easy to do with the $$$...The thing I *hate* about them though is the plumes of black smoke they become serious performers.

Yep, turbo compounding. Neat stuff. Bottom ends are girdled, everything is upgraded +2 mm on all fasteners - usually studded (got ARP?). But those 200psi pullers use filled or billet blocks, so streetability is comprimised just a little bit.

With the newer diesel tuning, just about all the smoke gets tuned away. But it's hard during the transients, as you need the heat and mass flow to spin the turbos, and you boost to cut the smoke and run efficiently....so do you see the problem? Catch 22.

And I agree....black smoke is ghey, gives people in the diesel community a black eye, and is obviously innefficient.
Old 09-19-2011 | 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

O m g. I just laughed so hard at the bar I'm at. Everyone looked at me weird
Old 09-19-2011 | 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wcryan
O m g. I just laughed so hard at the bar I'm at. Everyone looked at me weird
I bet that happens a lot...
Old 09-19-2011 | 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's cool they can get the smoke down, although yeah when you 'spool them up' from a start...Otherwise, those things are pretty impressive considering how much weight they have to pull...The nice thing about them is they still get good mileage and the bottom ends are pretty bulletproof...That is where they have an advantage over gas, as you'd *really* have to build a bottom end to be able to handle even 20 psi on a gas engine, or run such a low compression ratio it would be a dog w/o boost. But, it would be cool (other than the mileage) to have a 496 cid big block running 30 psi...Course, you'd be seeing the gas gauge move down as you're accelerating, lol.

Reminds me of this guy that had a twin turbo V10 in his R/T-10...thing got 2 mpg, lol...That's pretty sad! Maybe if he was easy, he could get 6 though, ha ha.

Speaking of diesels, saw an '06 Cummins in a Ram 2500 Power Wagon and had all sorts of cool 4x4 options...was a little $$ but I wanted to go check it out anyway...but never did as the damn thing sold pretty fast!
Old 09-19-2011 | 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Speaking of diesels, saw an '06 Cummins in a Ram 2500 Power Wagon and had all sorts of cool 4x4 options...was a little $$ but I wanted to go check it out anyway...but never did as the damn thing sold pretty fast!
You sure it was a Cummins?

They never made a PowerWagon with a Cummins - the winch and the intercooler want to be in the same place. Those only came with Hemi's.
Old 09-19-2011 | 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I had thought (no diesel), but they did end up making them:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...27/211958.html (other sites too, that was just a quick google search)

Now, whether or not they came with a winch, I'm not sure...One cool feature was you could disconnect the swaybars from inside the cab, which I thought was neat (provided it worked beyond a gimmicky thing).

However, in doing more searching, it does sound like maybe they weren't made...I don't know as I never followed the Dodges...

But, check out the ad: http://www.cerritosdodge.com/used/Do...8ce7614d65.htm (hurry before it's gone) and maybe you can tell if it's real or just a false advertisement?

Last edited by JNR_Design; 09-19-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2011 | 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
I bet that happens a lot...
only when I laugh.......
Old 09-19-2011 | 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a Powerwagon - those say "Power Wagon" on the doors.

That's just a standard 4 door short box with a CTD....
Old 09-19-2011 | 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, then they messed up on the ad (funny all the model options they threw on there too)...Didn't research it too deeply, but some sources say they made them and others not. Weird. Why you can't trust the internet without a lot of your own research!
Old 09-20-2011 | 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dealerships are retarded. They'll try to sell you anything...

NEVER made a Powerwagon with a CTD...
Old 09-20-2011 | 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL, no doubt...It's a total advertising ploy then...I saw it online and e-mailed about it and he says it's there, but then tells you it's sold and the internet guy should've taken it off...I reply back later that week somebody else e-mailed me and tells me it's there afterall, then later on it's not and then oh, can they find you something else though...I told them a couple times to pull the ad now, but no...Wonder if you'd have the same experience, lol...friggen dealers...Dodge/Chrylser ones are amongst the worst in my experiences and always wonder why that is...

Dealerships **** me off...You don't even want to know my recent experiences, lol...

Quick Reply: Thought I'd post a couple pics