Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

thinking of buying a CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up thinking of buying a CTS-V

can some of you cts owners tell me what to look for and what to look out for? i can only spend 16-17k tops probally have to settle for a 15k one

has to be under 100k and i have only found a few
Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

good luck. these things are hard to find and most of them have 80+k miles on them. I doubt you find on for 16k with less than 100k on it. I have found a couple that cheap but all are 100k+ miles.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ what he said. But GL on the search!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch for a heavy shutter from the engine on shutdown. That = motor mounts.
Check for nav disc present.
Make sure sunroof is operable.
Accelerate through first and step on the clutch at about 20mph. If you hear a loud clunk from the rear end it needs a new differential bushing and probably a supplemental block from creative steel.
Make sure all the windows roll up and down.
Check for burnt rubber on the underside from rear tires.
Noises at low speed or stopped while pressing/depressing the clutch is an indicator that the dual mass flywheel could stand a replacement.
Stock clutches last forever in these cars, but it's more of a curse than it is a blessing because of the 45lb flywheel it's attached to. A new clutch setup installed will probably run you $1g parts n labor for an LS7 setup with a new lighter flywheel.

And of course all the typical bases to cover upon a used car inspection.

also, there are probably some good deals in the classifieds here. They'll usually have those issues already fixed too.

Last edited by BudRacing; 09-29-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 AM
MASS seller approved

i have found 05 85k for 16.4k

an 04 w 86k for 16.9k and an 05 w 91k for 14.9

i know they are out there i just need to find the Right V for me
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Look at as many as you can so you don't get emotionally attached to one. I bought the first one I saw and kinda regret it... but I still love the car. It just needed more $$ to get it where I want it.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Look at as many as you can so you don't get emotionally attached to one. I bought the first one I saw and kinda regret it... but I still love the car. It just needed more $$ to get it where I want it.
X1,000...I turned down 2 with tan interior, but I REALLY wanted a black/black, saw a platinum/black and brought a check from the Credit Union for the sale amount when I showed up to look at it. Drove it around the parking lot and pulled back in and was signing paperwork 20 minutes later.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Sent you a PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:24 AM
MASS seller approved

Yes I'm not a fan of tan I feel it would get dirty too fast I'm really only wanting a grey/silver/ or black

Thanks for all the replies guys
Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
Yes I'm not a fan of tan I feel it would get dirty too fast I'm really only wanting a grey/silver/ or black

Thanks for all the replies guys
A black interior isn't any better then other interior color for the V...I am cleaning mine every other day, with all the dirt in West Texas. It is always dusty inside and out. Which is why black is the best color, but also the worst.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

The thing about tan is that it gets dark spots and scuffs on it that are tough to remove. With black you just vacuum it regularly and wash off anything else.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Yeah my black interior was easy to keep clean. I purposely waited to find a black interior silver exterior car to make sure they stay looking nice for many years. I'm trying to do the same in my search for a V2.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I waited many months until I found a low mileage black on black V. Glad I did but man is it a pain to keep clean...but I knew that since Ive owned black vehicles in the past. In my opinion, nothing looks better than a clean / polished black vehicle.

I had a silver Tundra that I sold before I bought my V and I could go months without cleaning it up and it still looked clean. I cleaned up my V this past weekend, took a 20min ride and I already had to wipe down a light film of dust. LOL

OP: Checkout post #2.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-used-cts.html
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I luckily had an ALL black CTS, which I just totaled, and I am too looking for another All Black, V this time.

Post from OTHER website; hope this helps.....

I am actively looking for a CTS V and asked this question, as have others. I created a list of items of advice that appear helpful. It is in first person, since it was copied directly out of the posts, but it is anonymous. I've done a bit of editing on the list to reduce redundancy and extraneous comments:

• My advice is do all the normal used car checks, but specifically for the V: check the shocks for oil residue which indicates they are going. When you shut it off check for big vibration/weird noise (some is normal with the stock fw but not excessive) which would indicate motor mounts are shot (you can also check them for leaking fluid). While driving listen for diff whine during light accel/decel, you'll know it if it's there, it whines and typically goes away when you press the clutch. Listen/feel for parade clunk (clunking when shifting/working the clutch/reverse and 1st gear starts, etc.) or overly vibrating shifter.

Remember that the V does not have a caddy feel. It has engine vibrations, it has a clunky drivetrain, it's a hot rod not a bmw, it isn't very smooth in general and it isn't very easy to drive smoothly. You get used to all of this as an owner but it is different from other cars I've owned, it's not for everyone.

• I'd support listening to the diff while in 6th gear under a very mild acceleration at between 45-50 MPH. A little whine isn't bad, IMHO, but a screeching whine would be a red flag.

If the engine shimmies/shakes at shutdown, that would mean motor mounts are shot.

Most of everything else is what you'd check on any other car made: clutch wear (get going 50-ish MPH in 6th gear, push clutch in, let motor rev slightly, then let clutch out to see if you get any slip), brakes, shocks, tire wear, dents, chips, cracked lenses/windshield, cigarette burns on the seats, etc.

• Check the clutch fluid before you drive it. I just had mine bled during standard service and it made a huge difference in operation, pedal feel and overall smoothness. And that is at 27,000 miles.

• Don't let some people scare you off with talk about replacing all the bushings, motor mounts and broken differentials. Remember this is an open forum and my 12 year old could register and post his thoughts. If you're just going to drive it like a normal human being, you'll be fine with just going over the normal used car items (leaks, etc.). When you buy it, just don't launch it so hard that the wheels spin and start hopping and don't bang second gear and your diff should be fine.

1. Drive the car at 45 mph in 4th gear and listen for a loud whine coming from under the back seat/trunk. Some noise is OK, just not excessively loud.
2. Feel for any engine vibration around 2000 rpm, its a sign of a bad clutch/flywheel.
3. Listen to the motor while idling. Listen through the wheel wells to see if there is any knocking coming from the bottom end of the motor, most do it a little but a loud knock is bad and usually a sign of a well 'used' motor.
4. Look for signs of leaks. Most can be fixed easliy by replacing seals that are all mostly less than $25 each. I'd be wary if I saw a leak coming from inside the bell housing as it's a sign of a leaking rear main seal or trans input seal, both are not quick fixes and require dropping the trans to fix

• Also slip the clutch in 1st and reverse a few times and see if there is chatter or clunkiness, it should be minimal. Look for build up of rubber on the rear wheel well/bumper area. Work the sunrooof, seat heaters, change the cd, and if the g-meter reads over 1.00 ask him what he was doing.

• Rev the motor to about 1200 rpm and start letting the clutch out really slow and hold it half way engaged. There should be no chatter or jerking of the car.

The 'g' meter is accessed with the steering wheel controls. Find the button on the wheel that changes the information on the left hand information center. Go to until it says 'g' in the middle. I would say anything over .80 in either direction is more than normal driving. But this doesn't mean the car has been beat on or is in bad shape, it most likely means the owner used the car for what it was meant for.

• If we assumed your budget was $25k and lower, a nice '06/'07 would insure that you had the best differential. In addition to a mostly-stock V, you might want to improve the shifter.

• The thing about the OEM shifter is that it's rather rubbery and lacks a certain crispness that I, for one, prefer. I have a B&M shifter, but they're pretty rare right now, and you probably won't find one very easily. Lots and lots of guys have the UUC shifter which, though pricier than the B&M, is quiet and works great. A few guys have the Katech shifter, and they swear it's also very good. Within the last six months of so, one of the members here (PISNUOFF aka Brian) as begun offering to rework the stock shifter. I'm told that the result is truly magnificent, and you can't go wrong with the price he charges, either.

A lot (though not all by any means) of the '04/'05 cars have received the improved differentials via warranty work ... I have for one. I believe the '06s came with an improved diff right out of the factory, so you'd have no worries there. Seems right now the '06/'07 models are staying a bit above $20k, and the '04/'05 models are a bit below or right at $20k though for sure they vary all over, but those are rough guidelines.

• The question is, do you plan on racing this car regularly? If no, you have virtually no worries with the original diff. Check the "who here is on their original diff" thread and you will see tons of '04/'05 owners with excess of 100k on their original diff with just occasional whine.

I hope this list proves helpful to others who are looking for a CTS V and look forward to additions to the list.

Last edited by 54inches; 10-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a CTS-V