Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How to Blow your Differential on a 2004

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I was there at the street heat event and saw it break, definitely a crappy deal. All my buddies wanted me to run my 05 CTS-V there but I refused to with the rear end made of butterfly wings and paper mache. I was going to come by and check it out but I figured you were having a rough night so I figured it was best not to.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-04-2011 | 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

If we all wised up and ran the car like it was intended, we wouldn't be hearing these stories. Sometimes, compromises need to be made with heavy cars that have a lot of torque.

I have been doing track (road course) events for years now and haven't had any problems, nor will I, because I don't launch the car and shock the driveline.

I feel bad for the OP, but all of our V1s just went down in value a little bit more because of things like this...

Last edited by tweeter81; 10-05-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tweeter81
I feel bad for the OP, but all of our V1s just went down in value a little bit more because of things like this...

This is certainly not true! If anything, the value of my car went up because I'm going to be dumping $1400 into the Gen. IV diff! LOL

I would rather blow it having fun with the car, then not have any fun at all. Sure I was a little embarassed, but no big deal!

There were a few other V's there as well, they were running low 13's, and one new one that ran I think a mid-high 11? So it's not like I'm the only one out there "abusing" the car.

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I was there at the street heat event and saw it break, definitely a crappy deal. All my buddies wanted me to run my 05 CTS-V there but I refused to with the rear end made of butterfly wings and paper mache. I was going to come by and check it out but I figured you were having a rough night so I figured it was best not to.

Hey man, no sweat. I just laughed it off. My buddy with an '04 Terminator blew his differential out there one night too, so I'm just a part of the club now!

Never be shy about saying hey to someone!

I also noticed the other V's stopped running their cars after one or two more passes after I broke mine lol

I should have a replacement here by the weekend, and then I'll be dropping in a Gen. IV.

Also, I never got around to doing the differential fluid after I got the car, this just gives me a reason to finally get under there and take care of that, too! :-P

-meaty
Old 10-05-2011 | 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
Also, I never got around to doing the differential fluid after I got the car, this just gives me a reason to finally get under there and take care of that, too! :-P
-meaty
The ONE good thing about this scenario is at least it didn't break and NEW fluid wasn't dribbling out. lol

When my first gen 1 04 diff blew I had to watch all my new fluid dump out on the street...fn booo!
Old 10-05-2011 | 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

I think yours is one of the few rare ones that broke the front of the case and not the side.
Old 10-06-2011 | 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
Why did you keep rolling?? You just kept spilling oil over the track surface. Sorry I just find it annoying when people do that at my local track. Next time stop right away, and pull it to the side.

Sucks about your diff.
Seriously. No offense but one of the main reasons I don't race anymore is because of too many noobs out there.

It does suck but it sounds like you will be back up and running again soon!
Old 10-06-2011 | 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SVT F15O
Seriously. No offense but one of the main reasons I don't race anymore is because of too many noobs out there.

I'm not gonna lie, the last time I was out at the track was ~10 years ago. Literally.

So my temporary replacement will be here tomorrow, any recommendations on some diff fluid?

-meaty
Old 10-07-2011 | 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

I kind of want to purposely blow up my factory diff so that way I have a good excuse to go with a 9" G Force lol
Old 10-07-2011 | 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by serik21
I think yours is one of the few rare ones that broke the front of the case and not the side.
I've seen plenty break in the same spot....including my first one....

Then all the way up the top....
It fell apart upon removal

Old 10-07-2011 | 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hXc95SLS
I kind of want to purposely blow up my factory diff so that way I have a good excuse to go with a 9" G Force lol
Yeah, that.

I'm a firm believer in replacing a part that breaks with something much better in it's place.
Old 10-07-2011 | 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hXc95SLS
That's fine, just don't do it in front of a thousand spectators!

Old 10-07-2011 | 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked up some Amsoil 75w140 SevereGear tonight!

Got the diff in without UPS breaking it before I could!

Now I just gotta get to bed so I can be up early to install it!

-meaty
Old 10-07-2011 | 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Like a DUMBASS I showed this vid to the wife....Her response was "NOW, watch this everytime you wanna go race your car". Probably not a bad idea
Old 10-08-2011 | 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
Like a DUMBASS I showed this vid to the wife....Her response was "NOW, watch this everytime you wanna go race your car". Probably not a bad idea
Thanks for this comment, I was just about to show my wife but have now decided not to lol.
Old 10-08-2011 | 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ah, reminds me of when my stock 04 diff let go. Broke the same way... broken off in front and then split clear up over the top. Have had no problems with the 4th gen diff, but I don't believe that one to be unbreakable, so I avoid hard launches.
Old 10-08-2011 | 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVT F15O

Youve gotta start somewhere
Old 10-08-2011 | 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think everythings done.

Havent taken it out for a test drive.

I took 4 ibuprofen... now I need some sleep and a massage... ugh.

I havent worked this hard on a car in a looong time.

-meaty
Old 10-08-2011 | 09:54 PM
Old School Heavy

As the title says!

If you haven't seen one blow, this is what it looks/sounds like!

No wheel hop, did a small burnout out of the water box, then took off at around 1500 RPM and rolled quickly on the throttle... KAPOW!

I got a standing applause from the crowd!

Enjoy!

-meaty
Originally Posted by STAGEUP
Why did you keep rolling?? You just kept spilling oil over the track surface. Sorry I just find it annoying when people do that at my local track. Next time stop right away, and pull it to the side.

Sucks about your diff.
Didn't realize it was the diff until I tried to put it in gear, and it wouldn't go anywhere. I kinda did that thing where you just kinda stare at the dash board like an idiot, and then went "Uhh..." took it out of gear, put it back in gear, tried to go, and no bueno.

I know I pissed off a couple of the track guys.

-meaty
I was there and saw that happen. The staff and the announcer starting lecturing on getting over to the side in the event of a failure. I knew before you explained yourself what was going on in your head so I did not hold it against you.
Old 10-09-2011 | 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I was there and saw that happen. The staff and the announcer starting lecturing on getting over to the side in the event of a failure. I knew before you explained yourself what was going on in your head so I did not hold it against you.
lol well I appreciate it.

When the diff blew, inside the car, it felt as if I didn't have the car in gear all the way, and it just popped out of gear. I had that happen once when a friend was in the car and it scared the crap out of her. Sounded exactly the same.

I still felt like a turd for having to make everyone wait for so long AGAIN after they just resprayed the lanes.

-meaty
Old 10-09-2011 | 11:35 PM
Teching In

I used to travel to the track with a spare differential with my 05 for this exact reason. In the end, the Gen1 never failed but I did swap it out with a Gen 4 so I could launch with a little less fear. As for the pulling over, it would likely not help much with the track prep, anyway. When the diff goes, it pretty much dumps all the fluid right away. That diff fluid is a pain to clean up. I recall some threads in the past where some tracks stopped allowing Gen 1 CTS-V's on the track due to a couple of bad experiences.

Quick Reply: How to Blow your Differential on a 2004