Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wheel/Tire opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/Tire opinions

I am going to list these for sale in the classifieds but need some opinions of what to expect. True Forged 19", approximately 8.5 wide up front with brand new Falken 245/40zr 19. 11/32 tread depth. The rear rims are 10" wide with Falken 275/35zr19. Remaining tread is 6/32,about 60%
They are quality wheels and since this is a DD it would make me sick if they kissed a curb, so they are up for grabs to a new home.
They are custom made for the V with no rubbing and have the pressure sensors. Pretty sure the rims were over $3200 new.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TF is kind of a knock-off from i-forged which knocks off HRE. nice wheels no doubt about it, but most likely 2 piece, standard rivets with unhidden hardware, raw finish, 19", and no lightweight engineering (cuts on the spoke and inner hub).

I'd say those were $2500-$2800 with tires. good sale would be $1500-$1800

again, all speculation based on what i know and see. dont have cold hard facts on the engineering behind TF asside from the mimicking of iF and HRE.

GLWS
Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

I may be interested, where are the wheels located?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Actually, and this is all if I am remembering everything correctly, TrueForged are made in the same factory as Boze, and possibly the I-Forged wheels.
(At least they were, its been a few years at least since I bought any wheels)
They are offered in 2 and 3 piece wheels depending on what the customer prefers, and the rivets are obviously functional and finished on the 3 piece wheels.

I have had a set of I-Forged and if there was no marking on either wheel, I think 99% of the population would find it hard to tell the difference. I have only seen one set of HRE's up close enough to compare and they were in less than desirable condition, so I won't comment on how they would stack up there.

These in those sizes, offsets, etc would more than likely run about $2700 for 2 piece and about $3000-3200 for 3 piece. I have dealt with Steve at TrueForged for wheels a couple times already.
Great customer service, and they can pretty much make anything you want.

From that pic, I would guess that its a 3 piece wheel as well, b/c of the gap you see between the hoop and the center section. My old 2 piece wheels did not have that.
They also look to have the polished lip with a silver painted/powdercoated center, as their brushed finish looks much more "raw" than that.

Wheels do take a pretty big hit when they are "used" though, so I agree that around $1800 would be more than fair.
Maybe $2k since they are for a very small niche vehicle with very little aftermarket wheel support like the V.

I would love to have them but even at the low end of that price range, my pockets aren't that deep right now.....lol.....so good luck with the sale!

Last edited by stand66; 10-20-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Wow. You guys know your wheels.
What determines whether it is a 2 or 3 piece unit? Correct me if I'm wrong,
I thought the outer hoop was stainless steel with a billet aluminum center section. What are the rivets you are referring to? It seems the center section is bolted to the outer ring.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Teching In

A 3 piece wheel can be disassembled so you can paint/repair/etc the inner center section and/or outer hoop of the wheel.
Those are actually assembly bolts basically, sometimes people say rivets (even me) but the correct term is assembly bolts. If those are real bolts and can be removed, its usually a 3 piece wheel. If they are just for looks, then 2 piece.
Like I said, I am pretty sure with that gap between the center section and the outer hoop, you will find it is 3 piece wheel.....
Old 10-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Upon further inspection, the bolts appear to be 12 point aircraft grade and in fact are fully functional with 1/2 inch nuts on the inside attached through an outer flange. The outer portion of the rim is aluminum and polished to give it a chrome appearance.
Thanks for the education on rims.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^lol

i had a set iForged 5 spoke wheels that were 2 piece and the "rivets" were just for show. now i find myself with 3 piece wheels and hidden hardware as i find it much cleaner. see below...

also, i'm with stand66, unless you've owned both or know in-depth details about each manufacturer, the iforged and hre lines are almost identical. both IF and TF have their wheels machined off site. out of the 3 only HRE does their entire wheel line in house. those cnc machines are ridiculous expensive, even if you just lease them.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel/Tire opinions-360-ss-close.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire opinions