Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone get soft brakes in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did it with the stock rotors. hasnt done it with the brakemotives
Old 11-24-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

What pads are you running with them? Those rotors soft eBay junk or quality?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aurora40
I've noticed that in most cars I've had. I wonder if "performance" pads are more susceptible because the brakes stay cold longer? I mean in the dry, as soon as you touch the pedal they start to heat up. With water, it won't heat up past ~200F until the water is all evaporated. The stock V pads are pretty aggressive. And I run Hawk HPS pads on all my other cars. Possibly if I ran softer stock pads on them I wouldn't notice?

I haven't noticed it as much since I did the "Brakemotive" replacement. It could be the slotted rotors help clear the water from the pads quicker? Or just that they have less heat-tolerant ceramic pads, which bite harder when cold?

I'm just guessing though. I doubt it's the ducts, but maybe the openness of the wheel contributes to it?
It isn't car specific. I have had all sorts of brakes on all the cars i have ownedo. Every set of ceramic pads I have used have done this. Second about half of the performance pads I have ever used do the same thing. Current car is a grand prix with ceramic pads and poor braking in wet weather. My sig car gets poor braking performance in the rain, also ceramic pads. It isn't the car guys it's your pads. The only reason I use ceramic is so I spend a whole lot less time cleaning wheels. Otherwise use semi-metallic.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

That doesn't explain why those of us who have never used ceramic pads have the same issue.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Troll Banned For Creating Multiple Accounts (thebigjmsho, JimmyHemroid, AND Junior1))

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
That doesn't explain why those of us who have never used ceramic pads have the same issue.

What is the issue exactly?

The first post refers to "Brake softness in the rain" This is not a condition I have ever heard of. Never read of it in a repair manual or anywhere yet everyone seems to know what "brake softness" is.

The author of this thread goes on to say:
"If I don't slam on them every so often they really get soft for about the first 3-8 seconds. I can hold the same pressure and feel the car brake harder and harder between 3-8 seconds"

I would only be guessing here but if it's soft is it going to the floor? Spongy pedal? Low pedal? Hard pedal? Power brakes have a soft pedal I supose..
Please enlighten me..
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It feels like they are soft, because you have to use a lot of pedal to get any braking. The reality is the pads are not biting because the brakes are wet, so you need more pressure.

It takes more pedal to get any kind of braking to happen, then after a couple seconds they work as normal. It feels a lot like a soft pedal when it is happening.

And to a couple posts up, I've *only* had the issue with performance pads like Hawk HPS's (and the stock Brembos on the V). It's been better with the Brakemotive ceramic pads, though also that included slotted rotors.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

So the only thing I can think of after we all have the same issue here is that there are only two differences between my road race mustang and my V. 1. Ducting for brakes and the pads. I ran Infineon with the cobra in an absolute downpour at 100+ mph down to 20 mph with no kind of pedal like this. Seems like everyone has different pads also so I am ruling that out also.

So the only thing I can think is the ducts forcing water as lame as it sounds? Any other idea's?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Teching In

I'm running MAPerformance's J-hooked rotors and RacingBrake ET500 pads. I have this happen to me everytime I'm in the rain, but it tends to go away after everything has heated up. After city driving for a bit the soft feel goes away and they stop like they do in the dry. Not exactly sure if it's moisture getting in between the pad and surface and the brakes not being warm enough to immediately evaporate the moisture or what.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think chitown has hit the nail on the head.

I have generic dealer pads on the car and it does it religiously until I get going for about 15 minutes. I have always owned performance cars and have had hawk pads. Even my f150 has them. Never any problem. The only difference is the duct in the various vehicles.

It would make since that the ducts could be the issue due to the fact that it would feed in water. As you drive, the rotors will heat up, therefore after a period of time would be hot enough to burn off the excess water.

I would be interested to block off the duct in the rain and see if theres a difference. If so, I'm sure you could get some oil based filter and introduce it at the bumper to delete the issue or atleast reduce it.

Quick Reply: Anyone get soft brakes in the rain?