Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Those of you with Pacesetter headers please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you with Pacesetter headers please chime in

Hey guys. I was hoping a few of you could speak to the fitment and general quality of Pacesetter headers. I'm considering a set of uncoated ones, then sending them to JetHot or something to that effect for ceramic coating. I wanted to make sure that they installed/fit well before I took the plunge though. This would be a bit of an impulse purchase, but I've gotta do at least a LITTLE research first.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know squat about pacesetters and their fitment; but headers is one of the best things I have done.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few people that have threads over on CF about Pacesetters, they seem to be a pain in the *** to connect to the exhaust since everyone has had to go get them welded. I would say OBX if you want to go cheap or get Kooks if $ is no object. Fit and finish is excellent for both.

I would do the motor mounts while you are doing the headers or you will be kicking yourself in the ***. UMI has a pretty good deal going on right now.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DMM, what kinda numbers do you put down?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

I have pacesetters they are ok headers fit nice no exhaust leaks. If I was to do it again probably obx just so I don't have to
Coat them or worry about rust. I have b&b exhaust. My friend with corsa has leaks with pacesetters
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have pacesetters on mine install is a easy as hell fit. i have inch x that mates up to mine just had to get a inch flange welded up and they bolted right together no problem.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They install no problem.

Open box straight from Amazon coated $229 - How can you refuse that? Jethot will cost you $300+ and the armor coat that comes on them will last longer than most people will keep their cars. Hell a generation ago nobody used coated anything.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Fit was great - I could see the primary hitting the steering shaft with really worn out motor mounts but with UMI there is a ton of room. No leaks with the pacesetter connectors. They do push the stock exhaust back 1-2 inches. Might take that into consideration if changing/deleting mufflers and redoing tips. Even so mine don't really stick out enough to notice.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

My pacesetters fit perfect. You dont have to have flanges welded to them, just buy the slip-on adapters and they will bolt right up to your stock or aftermarket exhaust. No complaints here.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Gabbiani - I saw those "open box" ones a few days ago. WOW, that's a deal. I'm a little hesitant though. They describe some damage as "Item may come repackaged. Minor cosmetic imperfection on top, front or sides of item. Minor cosmetic imperfection on bottom or back of item." Makes me nervous.

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew there'd be mixed opinions, but I just like to hear from people who actually have the product installed. I've decided against the UNcoated ones for sure. There's no point in buying the uncoated, then sending them away for coating. Might as well get them coated right from the manufacturer, right? Anyone know if that coating comes with any type of warranty? If there is a warranty, would header wrap void that?
As for fitment, those slip connectors on Amazon look like a pretty easy and reasonably priced way to mate the headers to my oem exhaust. I'd go that route but I also want cats to fit in there somewhere, which means there's going to have to be some custom fabbing done to make everything fit together anyway. No point in wasting the $70 on those extensions then, right?
Another couple questions I have for you guys (hopefully I still have your attention):
- Is a tune a MUST once headers are installed? I know I wont get the most out of the mod without one, but I don't have a tuner anywhere close to me, and I also can't doll out the money for a proper tune on top of the headers and install cost. So, it's either install the headers and run without tuning for a bit, or wait on everything until I have the dough ($) to do it "properly" and have the car put on a dyno for a tune.

- Do these headers hang much lower than OEM exhaust does? I'm lowered, and I really don't want to have to be worrying about ripping my exhaust off any dip in the road.

FYI, I've already got the mufflers deleted, and I also have Max's latest design of CS motor and trans mounts installed.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wes, what sort of exhaust setup do you have? Some of the aftermarket exhausts come with cats. May be something to consider if you have yet to buy one. I'm lowered as well, and have never had a problem with the headers scraping. If anything its the big *** 3" B&B tubes under the middle of the car when I pull in the garage (my driveway is at an incline). The headers dont hang lower than the car itself. You'll be good without a tune...just save up your money until you can do it right!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Strokin - thanks for the reply. I currently have the OEM exhaust with mufflers deleted. I wanted to keep that set up, and somehow get a couple of "spun"/"bullet" style cats in there somewhere. I need the cats for the sniffer test here in Ontrario, and I also want them to tone down the exhaust volume a bit too.
Also, sorry, but the last bit of your post confused me. Would you advise that I'd be fine without a tune (until I could afford one), or to wait on the headers until I can afford the tune?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I meant to say slap those puppies on! I've been running headers for 6-7 months without a tune. HPTuners should be coming in the mail next week.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ As for the open box - It's Amazon, if you don't like them send them back. Mine were like new in a slightly roughed up original box.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
^^^ As for the open box - It's Amazon, if you don't like them send them back. Mine were like new in a slightly roughed up original box.
Yep, return them on their dime if you don't like 'em.

Good find on the open box headers, just bought a set, and free PRIME shipping to boot!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dammit was going to buy today!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Coated Pacesetters - Fit great, Easy to install.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chitown21y
Dammit was going to buy today!
My bad....
Old 12-22-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

No worries! just let me know what shape they were in when you get them so I can look out for the next pair...

Originally Posted by DrSpeed

My bad....
Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll take some photos when they get in...then hide them before the wife sees them!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Teching In

lol @ DrSpeeds Avatar & Wife Hiding

Quick Reply: Those of you with Pacesetter headers please chime in