Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Some questions about the CTS-V (pre-purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some questions about the CTS-V (pre-purchase)

Hello,

I currently in Montreal and I'm looking to import a sports sedan from the US to drive here for the next two years and then sell it. The reason is that afterwards I'm planning to move to the USA and then I want to buy a 2nd-gen CTS-V.

Due to import laws and other factors, my current two choices are either a '07-'08 Acura TL Type-S 6MT or a '06-'07 CTS-V. Both cars are roughly in the same price range. The biggest problem is that the CTS-V is a lot less common, so it will be harder to find a good deal.

As far as the car goes, of course I prefer a CTS-V to a TL Type-S. This is not even a question. However, since I'll only be keeping this car for two years, I have different priorities.

The main ones are reliability and resale value. I know that an Acura is reliable. I also know that I won't have any problems selling the TL Type-S for roughly as much as I bought it for (including the 14% sales tax).

Having said that, I really want a CTS-V. I love this car. However, I'm concerned with its reliability and resale value.

If the LSD breaks, how much are the parts to fix it? What sort of tools does this require? My dad is a mechanic, but he only has a garage at his house, so there's no lift. Can it be fixed by lifting the car on a jack and putting it on supports? Is the car generally reliable otherwise?

Also, if I buy an '06-'07 CTS-V with around 70k miles for $22,000, how much will it be worth in two years with 80k miles?

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS engines are very reliable if properly maintained. There are a handful of guys out there with 150k+ mile Vs, and still running strong. The platform does have its quirk, and there is always going to be the problem kids. I have had my 07 for coming up on 19 months, and have put a hair over 20,000 miles on her. The only thing I ever had problems with, that were not from me modding the car, was my A/C. And that was a wire the kept falling lose, so the A/C would not turn on.

Resale on these car is not great. You will find plenty of 06-07 with those miles in that range. But the the problem is, they 5 to 6 years (almost) old not, and when you talking an 8 year old car it will be hard to sell. Since most banks start having strict loan policies for car old then 5 years (I am finding that out now since I am trying to sell my 07). You will more then like have to wait for a cash buyer for the car. And judging by what 04s are selling and listed for now with 80k+ miles, you will only be able to get in the upper teens for the car and a very good day.

The platform is incredibility easy to get to know and fix. If you get read around, you will find a plethora of information about the LS engines. There is just a couple things that will be V specific, and that all start after the Tranny. And anything you need to know, there are a lot of people on the forums that can help or on the Cadillac FAQ site has a lot of answers to the common questions.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
The LS engines are very reliable if properly maintained. There are a handful of guys out there with 150k+ mile Vs, and still running strong. The platform does have its quirk, and there is always going to be the problem kids. I have had my 07 for coming up on 19 months, and have put a hair over 20,000 miles on her. The only thing I ever had problems with, that were not from me modding the car, was my A/C. And that was a wire the kept falling lose, so the A/C would not turn on.

Resale on these car is not great. You will find plenty of 06-07 with those miles in that range. But the the problem is, they 5 to 6 years (almost) old not, and when you talking an 8 year old car it will be hard to sell. Since most banks start having strict loan policies for car old then 5 years (I am finding that out now since I am trying to sell my 07). You will more then like have to wait for a cash buyer for the car. And judging by what 04s are selling and listed for now with 80k+ miles, you will only be able to get in the upper teens for the car and a very good day.

The platform is incredibility easy to get to know and fix. If you get read around, you will find a plethora of information about the LS engines. There is just a couple things that will be V specific, and that all start after the Tranny. And anything you need to know, there are a lot of people on the forums that can help or on the Cadillac FAQ site has a lot of answers to the common questions.
Thanks for the quick reply!

The thing is, if things work out, I'm pretty set on getting a 2nd gen CTS-V in two years. Actually, either that or a GT-R (but damn those cars keep their value!). I'm going to be taking good care of it, giving it lots of love, possibly modding it, and, most of all, keeping it for a long while.

I've been reading these forums today and, to be honest, I'm not sure if a 1st gen CTS-V is a good idea for a temporary car. I just don't want spend money on repairs and maintenance and then lose it when I sell the car months later. Plus if the '04 prices are an indication of how it keeps its value, this is really bad news.

Basically, right now I'm looking for a car which will not require any money or time invested in it in the short term. I guess I'll wait for now and get the more sensible FWD option. Hopefully, I'll be able to satisfy my craving for a fast RWD/AWD car in a few years time

By the way, does anyone know if the bank policies are the same in Canada?

Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

why don't you just buy a V2 and keep it for the next 4 years? Do you have a US address? I have had friends/family keep their cars up in Canada for a few years with US plates and never had an issues... Not saying it's right just saying it's one of those "gray areas"....

Just an idea.

As far as repairs and Maintenance if you keep your v1 stock and don't beat on it you really won't have a lot of repairs.... It's when you start modding it that you start spending money.

Why not if you want to import it you just buy a v2 and import it? Several have done that and it's lots cheaper then buying one in Canada.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Domsz06
why don't you just buy a V2 and keep it for the next 4 years? Do you have a US address? I have had friends/family keep their cars up in Canada for a few years with US plates and never had an issues... Not saying it's right just saying it's one of those "gray areas"....

Just an idea.

As far as repairs and Maintenance if you keep your v1 stock and don't beat on it you really won't have a lot of repairs.... It's when you start modding it that you start spending money.

Why not if you want to import it you just buy a v2 and import it? Several have done that and it's lots cheaper then buying one in Canada.
I can't afford a V2 right now

My wife has a US address, but it's illegal for a Canadian to drive a US car in Canada. Maybe it's a gray area if I was a US citizen. As it goes now, if I get stopped, then I'll get a ticket and my car will be seized and deported. Plus I can't insure a car in Quebec unless it's plated in Quebec.

Believe me, I've checked ALL my options at this point. The best one is to just import a car from the USA. I have to buy it in cash (line of credit, can't get a a loan for a US car) and I can gather up about $25,000 for everything.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we are talking Gen I CTS-V vs. the TL, I'm afraid the build quality of the TL will be quite a bit superior. Acura's are Honda's, pretty reliable and they are solid. If you are just talking 2 years, get the TL, then definitely get the V2 when you move stateside.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ what he said ;-)
Old 12-24-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
If we are talking Gen I CTS-V vs. the TL, I'm afraid the build quality of the TL will be quite a bit superior. Acura's are Honda's, pretty reliable and they are solid. If you are just talking 2 years, get the TL, then definitely get the V2 when you move stateside.
Originally Posted by SSmokd U
^^ what he said ;-)
Thanks! I'm actually looking at the Legacy GT Spec.B now, too. I'll let you guys know what I get when I finally get it
Old 12-26-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll have to agree with the latest comments. 1st gen V's are not an easily flippable car. You'll be better off $-wise going with the Acura.

I bought my V because I plan to keep it for a long time. I'm already way more into it than what I could realistically get for it.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My father has an '07 TL Type S, its platinum just like my V. In terms of being a driving car, I think the V is much better honestly. The V has tons more power (even in stock form), handles better, brakes better, and is overall a whole hell of a lot more comfortable to drive...unless you are a 5'2" 110 lb Asian or an old man/woman that hugs the steering wheel. The driving position is absolutely horrible in the Acura IMO. And, I really do not understand how the same Brembo brakes the V has feel like crap on the Acura. The Acura NAV is more user friendly, but it is either Las Vegas in your face or too dim to be seen esp at night.

All things being equal, I would still go with the V. If you don't mod the hell out of the V, you should still be able to get most of your investment. The Acura might be easier to unload in the future, but the cost of ownership is outright ridiculous. I worked as a tech at Tischer Acura for a while and they are not all they're claimed to be in terms of reliability, especially when you have a part that needs to be replaced. My father's Type S needs a P/S pump, he got an estimate of $1200 to replace it while he was getting a $300 glorified oil change.

I'll give the nod to the Acura for having better MPG, but rather have my Caddy in every other respect.

My $ 0.02.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fomoz
I can't afford a V2 right now

My wife has a US address, but it's illegal for a Canadian to drive a US car in Canada. Maybe it's a gray area if I was a US citizen. As it goes now, if I get stopped, then I'll get a ticket and my car will be seized and deported. Plus I can't insure a car in Quebec unless it's plated in Quebec.

Believe me, I've checked ALL my options at this point. The best one is to just import a car from the USA. I have to buy it in cash (line of credit, can't get a a loan for a US car) and I can gather up about $25,000 for everything.
I c... I didn't know. I know my family has driven cars tagged in texas up there for quite some time and never got harassed at all, and they were all canadian's at the time..

Maybe they just took the risk IDK.

That's odd you can't get a loan. I thought you could get a loan for anything these days.

Quick Reply: Some questions about the CTS-V (pre-purchase)