Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear end/diff/control arm question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end/diff/control arm question...

So ive just picked up a 04 V, 57k, intake & exhaust car about a week ago. Driving it home last night 1,2nd gear start up I head a very sh!tty sounding clunking coming from RR wheel/tire area. So the plan for today was to go to Cadillac, for alignment & oil change. I had kinda forgot about the clunk but as im leaving the clunk was still there...so ok, change of plan I decide to take it to a friends shop(specializes in MB & BMW but worked on a number V's & actually just modded out a 09 V...sickkkk)

They put it on the lift, put it in gear & gas it, BOTH rear tires bow out as you initially accelerate then kind of line up/pop back in...on top of this a guy crawls under to remove one of the driveshaft bolts by hand, hoooly crapper!

Shop says its control arm bushings & diff mount might be roasted too, just a thought but could replacing the bushings be a 'preventative' measure to save from a legendary V diff disaster? Any one else heard or had anything like this happen(other then the loose bolt part, thats just a wtf?)
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rear diff bushing is probably the main culprit. Get with Max at creative steel and order a good bushings dont put a stocker back in there.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, get aftermarket. I recently had a factory bushing put back in there, but that's because it was under warranty and I wasnt paying for it. Imagine that
Old 12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Teching In

rear diff bushing, control arm bushings & rear spindles is the verdict...holy crapper its gonna cost a pretty penny!!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Get the rear TIC bushings for your trailing arms and the BMR or CS bushing for the diff. Might as well do the CS tranny mount and have them check your motor mounts. I had two sets of stockers fail in 60k miles. I put in the CS motor mounts in after the last set wore out. If you pay for the stock stuff your just going to waste money and or a diff
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I've had a squeak in my rear suspension lately. Squeaked whenever i hit a bump. Took the car in for the seat sensor recall and asked them to put the car on the rack to check the squeak. They told me it was the control arm bushing.. They also said gm won't let them replace just the bushing, they have to replace the whole arm. Its $330 for the part and about 4.5 hrs labor. The service mgr was pretty cool and said it would be much cheaper to just get an aftermarket bushing, so that's the route ill be going as well.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Teching In

ill look into this...
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

I just did the TIC rear trailing arm bushings ($75). It took longer to jack up the car than to install the bushings.

Get the huge C Clamp from sears ($15). Use the spring seat for the top of the clamp. Then screw the clamp in until you press the old bushing out. Put a little non petroleum lube on the new bushings and put them in. Press the metal sleeve into the new bushing with the C clamp. Done. Took about 10mins per side.

Quick Reply: Rear end/diff/control arm question...