Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Opinions on aluminum lug nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on aluminum lug nuts...

So, pulled a wheel off to check the brakes and realized the previous owner had put a set of aluminum lug nuts on the car. Anyone ever have good luck with these or trust them? Reason for asking is one has some buggered up threads (which could possibly answer my question there on their durability...) and I was curious if I should buy a couple aluminums, or replace them all with stockers.

Never really seen anyone use these much, other than imports. Not sure if they are built to withstand "spirited" driving.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I've been using RAYS duraluminum (an aluminum alloy) lug nuts for 6 or 7 years now, including dozens of auto-x events and probably 10 or 12 days on track. I've never had a problem. I periodically chase the threads with a thread cleaner, maybe once a year or so.

There are an awful lot of generic aluminum lug nuts on Ebay and elsewhere. I don't know that I would trust those, but the RAYS ones have worked out for me.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I've been using RAYS duraluminum (an aluminum alloy) lug nuts for 6 or 7 years now, including dozens of auto-x events and probably 10 or 12 days on track. I've never had a problem. I periodically chase the threads with a thread cleaner, maybe once a year or so.

There are an awful lot of generic aluminum lug nuts on Ebay and elsewhere. I don't know that I would trust those, but the RAYS ones have worked out for me.
Thank you Sir, much appreciated. Those are pretty nice looking, but dang, isn't there anything inexpensive on these cars?

Quick Reply: Opinions on aluminum lug nuts...