Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cadillac ATS Sports Sedan Revealed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SimplistikTA
I stand corrected. All dry sump LS3s(Corvette GS) are hand assembled in Wixom. The rest(Camaros and base Corvettes) are built in Ontario. The LS6 in our V1s were old motors when they came out, but that didn't stop GM from throwing it in a Cadillac to have an entry in the performance luxury market. I would love to see the ATS-V with a powerful TT V6 or a gen V small block, but from a business point of view(based on my limited knowledge of what is exactly in development at GM) it works to throw a LS3 in it and get it to market. We know it makes more than enough power to be competitive in its class with a weight in the 3600-3700lb range. Granted this is all speculation, but it's possible to have it NOW rather than waiting for new tech to be developed and engineered.
Its is possible, they did throw the LS1 in the GTO to get it rolling, but I think the V is at least 2-3 model years away still, and the gen 5s should be out by then.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected. All dry sump LS3s(Corvette GS) are hand assembled in Wixom. The rest(Camaros and base Corvettes) are built in Ontario. The LS6 in our V1s were old motors when they came out, but that didn't stop GM from throwing it in a Cadillac to have an entry in the performance luxury market. I would love to see the ATS-V with a powerful TT V6 or a gen V small block, but from a business point of view(based on my limited knowledge of what is exactly in development at GM) it works to throw a LS3 in it and get it to market. We know it makes more than enough power to be competitive in its class with a weight in the 3600-3700lb range. Granted this is all speculation, but it's possible to have it NOW rather than waiting for new tech to be developed and engineered.
A little off the subject, but you can tour the Wixom plant and watch them assemble those motors. I did a couple of years ago.

JD03Cobra reports that his cousin has been working on a TT3.6 powered ATS. If significantly over 400 hp, I could learn to (almost) forget a small block.

SimplistikTA, you at Fort Bliss?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm stationed at Bliss. Yay lol

Last edited by SimplistikTA; 01-17-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Cadzila's Banned Troll Account

Originally Posted by aurora40
Wow, this is getting really pedantic. The V is more car than the Mustang, in terms of room, in terms of doors, in terms of luxury, in terms of utility. It is a ****-ton more car than the Laguna Seca edition, which doesn't even have a back seat anymore.

And, to what has always been my main point, GM makes other cars. Unlike Ford, they make several fast cars. If you want a two-door two-seater that can smoke the Laguna Seca for the same money, buy a Grand Sport (which for reference, ran a 2:58.5, faster than a Ford GT).

Also, all of those cars from Ford you are mentioning are from 2011. Which I believe I was pretty clear about them being finally fast.

The 2010 GT500? 3:07.4
The 2010 Mustang GT 4.6? 3:13.3, slower than a Cobalt SS (one of the many we-don't-only-make-one-fast-car cars GM offered over the last 5 years)

Anyway, if you want to believe Ford makes tons of fast cars, and GM is late to the performance party, go for it.

2013 mustang gt500 = 650HP right off showroom floor
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JimmyHemroid
2013 mustang gt500 = 650HP right off showroom floor
It supposedly does 200mph too. While I have plenty of faith in modern engineering, something about 200mph in a vehicle that shares a rear axle design with a pickup truck and has a chassis shared with a car built to a $20k price point kinda scares me. At least the Z06 and ZR1 have upgraded chassis over the base Corvette. With that said I'd still love to own one due to the batshit insanity of knowing that I can do 200mph and still have a warranty. It's a shame most dealers are going to mark it up so much.

Back on topic has anybody been to the Detroit auto show to check out the ATS? Do they actually have models available to sit in? I'm just curious how the interior stacks up to the V1 in terms of space.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to the caddy forum ... bunch of pics, some from show itself.

I'm going to the show tomorrow morning and will meet up with JimmyHemroid, among others.

Apparently the car is on a turntable, and they won't let you sit in it. If they did, there'd be a bodacious line, I'm sure.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Ok cool I'll check it out. I really wish I was up that way. My wife and all of her family are in the Plymouth/Canton area. They were texting me pics from the show. Definitely jealous!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

It supposedly does 200mph too. While I have plenty of faith in modern engineering, something about 200mph in a vehicle that shares a rear axle design with a pickup truck and has a chassis shared with a car built to a $20k price point kinda scares me. At least the Z06 and ZR1 have upgraded chassis over the base Corvette. With that said I'd still love to own one due to the batshit insanity of knowing that I can do 200mph and still have a warranty. It's a shame most dealers are going to mark it up so much.

Back on topic has anybody been to the Detroit auto show to check out the ATS? Do they actually have models available to sit in? I'm just curious how the interior stacks up to the V1 in terms of space.
You can't sit in it, but my impression was that the interior is comparable than the V1 as far as feel and volume. Overall size is maybe a bit smaller than the 1st CTS which makes sense since it is a true 3-series size/competitor
Old 01-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Cadzila's Banned Troll Account

Originally Posted by rand49er
A little off the subject, but you can tour the Wixom plant and watch them assemble those motors. I did a couple of years ago.

JD03Cobra reports that his cousin has been working on a TT3.6 powered ATS. If significantly over 400 hp, I could learn to (almost) forget a small block.

SimplistikTA, you at Fort Bliss?

lulz......

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS Sports Sedan Revealed!