Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Buying my CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my CTS-V

Hey guys, I just sold my STi, and went to put my deposit down on my CTS-V last night. After I was done test driving the car, the owner said that the A/C had stopped working two days ago, he had the part to fix it and took 500$ off his asking price so he wouldn't have to get it installed. It looks like a rectangle with 2 holes in it and a thermostat looking thing at the top...what is this?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thermal expansion valve?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Possibly. I will post up a picture when i pick up the car tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Yea, thats the part. Whats install like?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Teching In

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...my-03-cts.html

Dude down a ways says 'ugly'
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a TXV to me, about the only thing it could be really. I have seen very few TXV's go bad (except leaking seals) even on commercial and residential units (I am a Licensed HVAC Journeyman also) so I would question how they arrived to the conclusion that it was bad.

Unless you can tear the dash apart yourself (down to the firewall), recover the A/C, install the part, and get everything back together without any rattles you are getting hosed IMO. I think the labor to pull the dash to access the evaporator is upwards of $2k...maybe more since people seem to be getting labor estimates of $2k just to install a rear (which is ******* ridiculous for maybe 3.0 hours book time).

I'd tell him to take another $2k off the price or get it fixed before you hand over the check. Or, find another one...they are coming up more and more and you can probably get a better deal waiting it out.

SIDE NOTE: Isn't it funny how everything seems to be a "small repair" or "minor inconvenience" to the person trying to unload their problem laden POS on someone else? I have seen everything from "trans stopped working, but is a $250 repair, just don't have time to deal with it" or "the lights don't work b/c of a simple elec. short".

You have an idea what it will cost to have it fixed, and if they could fix it, they would have. MY suggestion is to make it worth your time b/c you are going to have to deal with dropping it off, picking it up, and being without a vehicle for a period of time.

Last edited by DMM; 02-07-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Teching In

He said he had it tested and it was a clogged thermal expansion valve... Any input?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

You gave up your STi for a V? You must not live where it snows...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zanelefko
He said he had it tested and it was a clogged thermal expansion valve... Any input?
TXV's do not clog unless there has been a catastrophic failure such as a compressor letting loose. They can stop working, as in seize, or the sensing bulb can come unattached or otherwise become uninsulated from the suction line, or they can leak. The TXV is a variable metering device (think needle valve in a carb) located at the entry to the evaporator, and is the differential point between the high pressure liquid line and low pressure vapor which provides cooling. It is connected to a thermostatic bulb which is located and insulated to the low pressure (suction) line to maintain a constant temperature (the TXV actually controls pressure, but for the sake of simplicity I am equating its function to temperature).

A few things can mirror a bad TXV, primarily non-condensable gases (ie N20, 02, water vapor, etc) in a closed refrigeration system as they have different boiling, liquid, and vapor points than refrigerants.

I know you're probably itching to get into a V, but I would hold back a bit on this one. Call any three dealers and get a labor estimate to replace the TXV. It's ugly. And it's more than $500 to fix.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Will do. He was willing to sign something saying if it is more, he is responsible and will take care of any charges...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
You gave up your STi for a V? You must not live where it snows...
I live in sunny south florida =)

Quick Reply: Buying my CTS-V