Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Pulley Noise - 2009 CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley Noise - 2009 CTS-V

Well I've had the car for....1 week and today I started to get some pulley and/or belt noise. I'm not very mechanical or an engine expert, but it sounds like its coming from the belt closest to the dash. Sorry for the lack of technical know-how in terms.

The car, if I remember from what the previous owner had to say, has a W4ME pulley, tune and headers all of which were installed by Lindsay Caddy (Not verified this w/ James yet).

Today, I got into it a bit coming into the freeway and since then its made the noise you hear in the video. The sound is in line with the RPMs and isn't driveline related.

According to the Carfax Steering/suspension were checked twice, but I haven't talked to the previous owner to verify if there was an issue with it.

Below is a video clip of the sound. I intend to take the car into Lindsay tomorrow hopefully, but wanted to get the group's initial thoughts. I don't want to drive it too far with the noise if it is something serious. Lindsay is 4 miles from me, so I hope that it will be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uyktlNMvls

I know a few people have had issues with the SC itself, but my sound isn't that "siren" sound nor is it coming from the SC. It sounds more like its coming from the water pump, steering pump or idler pulley. The belt closest to the grill is a gatorback if that means anything.

Again, everything was working perfectly until today, meaning the noise just started.

***Note - Just noticed I had my finger over the phone while filming. You can hear the sound, you just need to turn up the volume extra loud.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

If you are certain it isn't the s/c itself, then most of the time it is the alternator making noises like that.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

This morning on the way into work the sound just went away. I was just driving along at 35mph and the sound just went away. The whole rest of the way to work - perfectly quite. Well, as quiet as a CTS-V can be with headers and what not.

I still plan on taking it into Lindsay. Right now they can't see me till Thursday. They have one guy who does their V work and he's in training.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
If you are certain it isn't the s/c itself, then most of the time it is the alternator making noises like that.
Sort of my thoughts. The alternator on our cars are on the drivers side if I recall correct.

Quick Reply: Pulley Noise - 2009 CTS-V