Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Shift knob options on the katech short throw??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift **** options on the katech short throw??

Ive done a search and i found out that the thread size on the katech short throw is 5/8 x 16NF or 18NF. After doing a search online, i can find anyone that makes a **** in that size. Im assuming the stock one will work since its plastic and it can just be screwed/threaded on but what are you katech guys running for aftermarket shift *****?? Id like a nice billet **** or something a little nicer than the stock V ****.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Ive done a search and i found out that the thread size on the katech short throw is 5/8 x 16NF or 18NF. After doing a search online, i can find anyone that makes a **** in that size. Im assuming the stock one will work since its plastic and it can just be screwed/threaded on but what are you katech guys running for aftermarket shift *****?? Id like a nice billet **** or something a little nicer than the stock V ****.
I went through this about 6 months ago. I ended up going with the V2 **** and threading it but if I had to do it again I'd go a different route. I LOVE the v2 **** but it sorta 'broke' during the install. Apparently if you twist it too far there is an inner piece that separates from the outer leather of the ****. The **** will now somewhat spin when its on the katech...my fault for going too tight but didn't know until it was too late.

From my research there aren't any pre-made options that will fit the Katech. You can go with something with a smaller thread and drill it out with the supplied bit (works quite well) or go with something custom.

I contacted TWM and they said they could do it but you'll be paying the custom price which if I remember correctly put most of the ***** between $160-$200 depending on the options.

One of the companies that makes the delrin ***** for the vettes said they could make one without the normal metal insert for the threads, i.e. cast the threads straight into the delrin itself for like $40 or $50 but they wouldn't warranty it...I can't remember what company, however, but could probably dig it up if you want it.

I also asked MGW if they could come up with something using one of their ***** and they didn't think their shifters had a thick enough base to take to that large of a bore. They're a really good machine shop with awesome customer service so I figure they know what they're talking about.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

I was considering the V2 **** but its basically the same situation as the stock ****. All youre doing is threading the shifter into the plastic. Seems foolish of katech to make a short throw with next to no shift **** options. I mean why not go with something a little more common where there are numerous options available? Just doesnt seem smart on their part.

For that reason, makes me wanna just go with a stock modded shifter and pick the **** i want and just weld the tread on that i need to run it. I just cant see myself cutting up that nice aftermarket shifter but damn... not many other options.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you haven't gotten the Katech already, I've already told you, work backwards from the **** & get azn2dmax to weld on the thread needed for the ****. You aren't looking at the shifter, but you are the ****. Granted it's just a modified stock shifter, but doing bushings at the same time, it's better than STOCK stock.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... thats prob a smart move and it'll cost less too. I'd like to pick the **** i want. And... i'm pretty sure the stock modded shifter can be modded just and short or shorter than the others.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

monster ****/\ $40 to light but nice b/c it is pretty low on the stalk

/\ what im running now. looks great but needs more weight

what i really wanna do is the Cadzilla trans mods to the pin at the shifter plate.. need to get rid of this sloppp
Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Is that a GTO boot and ****?

Quick Reply: Shift knob options on the katech short throw??