Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stock modded short throw VS Katech, UUC, B&M comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock modded short throw VS Katech, UUC, B&M comparison...

I know all are a major improvement over the stock soup stirring shifter but has anyone done an actual comparison between the stock modded shifter sold here and the aftermarket shifters offered by UUC, Katech and B&M? I'm curious if the stock modded shifter can be customized to have a lower **** height and shorter throw than the aftermarket units or if they are comparable with little if any difference between one another?

I'm a fan of a super short throw and I like the **** sitting as low as possible without causing hand to shifter bezel clearance issues.

Obviously the biggest benefit to the stock modded unit is price and also being able to pick the thread size on it to run whatever **** u prefer. The shifter isn't visible so what it looks like really doesn't matter much as long as its functional.

I'm just on the fence about which way to go. I like the solid billet aftermarket pieces for the sake of being a nice, solid and machined part but paying more for a shifter that's not going to be as short or that will limit my **** options seems pointless. I see the ratio is about 50/50 for guys running the stock modded shifter here and guys running aftermarket so which is really the better route to go?

Just looking for some opinions before I jump one way or the other.

Thanks fellas!!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say first of all, there aren't too many that have had more than one shifter in their car, it's one of those things you generally don't replace more than once unless something breaks. And a fair comparison is hard unless you have the different shifters in the same car, since there are a lot of variables that can effect the performance of a shifter in our cars, like all the shifter and linkage bushings that get tired over time.

I have felt two UUC shifters in other V's, and one was almost stock feeling, and the other was aboutt as tight as my B&M with *slightly* longer throws. The same shifter in two different V's can feel much different, so it's tough to get a meaningful comparison. With the current state of my linkage bushings and the side to side slop that has developed over the years, I'm sure that any short shifter in a car with tighter bushings would feel 100% better.

At the end of the day I don't think you can go wrong, and if I were doing it again today I would probably go with the modified stock shifter if it's cheaper. You can definitely shorten the height on the stock and B&M shifters, I can't tell from the pictures of the UUC and Katech but it doesn't look that easy on them. Honestly, the UUC is just overpriced if they're still getting near $400 for them.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the response and you're right about a direct comparison being hard unless both shifters are in the same car.

I agree that the UUC is overpriced. The honestly the last shifter if consider. For aftermarket, I'd go B&M or Katech. The Katech would be hard to shorten looking at the way the shifter is made and the thread pattern is rare so not many **** options. I don't know much about the B&M but I'm leaning toward the stock modded shifter for both price and being able to run any **** I want. But I'm not 100% yet.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pisnuoff stock modded but still retains stock height. Also an aftermarket shift **** can further tune the above the pivot length as its attached with set screws so there is some play.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I was referring to azn2dmax shifter. His is welded solid and he shortens them up to 1.5" in height. Prob the same type of mod on the bottom though.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Katech shifter (~1" less than stock). I doubt you could shorten it unless you have access to a machine shop.

I should caution you against installing a very short shifter on this car unless you've tried driving someone else's CTS-V first. The linkage on this car is terribly imprecise, which is only mildly improved with stiffer bushings.

Although a shorter shifter will result in theoretically faster shifts, the amount of force required to move the shifter is inversely proportional to its length. Unless your arm can source that greater force while maintaining the same level of control, you're not going to be measurably faster.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 03-22-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

I just installed the azn2dmax modded short shift 2 nights ago... couldnt ask for a better shifter, 100% satisfied. I'm glad i didnt spend the extra $ on the B&M or Katech
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Good point fuzzy. I understand that too short could be a bad thing. I just want the shifter to be as short as possible with the shortest throw possible without any issues.

And the Katech is not able to be shortened without machining it which wouldn't even be worth it.

I'm sure all are nice shifters. Just looking at the cost factor and physical differences in height/throw.

Glad to hear another good review on the stock modded shifter. I think my biggest attraction to going that route is being able to run my **** of choice.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Teching In

I like the UUC shifter. When picked up 2nd hand, it's awesome -- best shifter for the money IMHO. For full retail.... not so much.

Both guys modding the stockers do a nice job for sure, I was personally looking for a Katech or UUC. I like UUC's lower assembly vs. Katechs reuse that lower bushing.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

I've never looked at that difference between the UUC and the Katech. The Katech is a nice piece and solid billet but I believe u are right, it uses the stock bushing.

The azn2dmax shifter is offered with an upgraded ball bearing in place of the factory plastic bushing thing. Not sure how much of difference it makes but it's a minor upgrade.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the Katech shifter in my CTS-V and really like the quality and performance of it. Now I did make a custom aluminum bushing for the lower mount to get rid of the plastic bushing. I use the Katech shifter along with the UUC shifter bushings and I would definitely recommend this setup to anyone looking for a shifter.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

How much is that UUC bushing alone? I have a line up on a Katech shifter with creative steel shifter bushings local (all brand new) but at a good price. Only thing holding me back on it is the limitation on shift *****. Stock or V2 **** are the only choices for that thread.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

The V2 shift **** looks great, if you ask me--especially with matching headrests and mats. I think Luke at Lindsay Cadillac sells the UUC bushings for about $30 plus a few bucks shipping. Creative Steel has a similar bushing for $25.

Honestly, you may not need new bushings. Read this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...k-shifter.html
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

V2 **** does look nice. I might not need the shifter bushings but they are included with the shifter I'm looking at local.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I've never looked at that difference between the UUC and the Katech. The Katech is a nice piece and solid billet but I believe u are right, it uses the stock bushing.

The azn2dmax shifter is offered with an upgraded ball bearing in place of the factory plastic bushing thing. Not sure how much of difference it makes but it's a minor upgrade.
Hey I'll be installing azn2damax's upgraded shifter on monday just havent gotten around to it yet. Bought mine 1"shorter and mounting the momo duke **** on it. Have the **** on the stocker now and looks fkn sick. He sells any height you want and his personal one was almost 2" shorter. I would stick with 1" as it will still allow you to throw it into gears w some force behind it. You can always go shorter, going the other way is the bit*h) Regardless I'll let you know how it feels compared to stock.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good man. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
How much is that UUC bushing alone? I have a line up on a Katech shifter with creative steel shifter bushings local (all brand new) but at a good price. Only thing holding me back on it is the limitation on shift *****. Stock or V2 **** are the only choices for that thread.
The thread on the Katech is 5/8-18 and they even supply a tap so you can thread any **** you want. Drill and tap. Even a cave man can do it!

btw..the stock **** is not threaded, thats what the tap is for!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looooooove my UUC, but it was overpriced.....which happens to be the trend with those douches.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Almost every automotive is overpriced. $250 for polyurethane motor mounts? That's about 500% markup. If you built a CTS-V with entirely aftermarket parts, it'd probably cost $150,000.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Installed the Katech and love it! Wayyyy better than stock! A little tight but I think I might have tightened the bolt on the bottom of the shifter too snug. I'll prob loosen it up a bit.

Quick Reply: Stock modded short throw VS Katech, UUC, B&M comparison...