Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Headlight is out and it's blowing fuses. Couple other issues. Come in fellas!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight is out and it's blowing fuses. Couple other issues. Come in fellas!!

Well guys, bought the car from my buddy with the headlight out. Said the old one went out and he bought the replacement but hadn't installed it yet and gave it to me new in box. Well... Got tired of driving around with my high beams on to avoid getting pulled over and went to change it today. Put the new bulb in and nothing happened. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Swapped it out with the spare and tried it again and it popped the fuse again.

What the hell would cause this??

All other lights work just fine. Only the drivers low beam has this issue.

Also, when the headers were installed, coincidentally, the tpms sensors stopped working. Maybe they just need to be reset but is there any reason a header install would stop them from working?

And finally, after the solid motor mount install, the headers clear but they are super super close to the steering shaft. My boy did some very minor grinding on the shaft to avoid having to clearance the header. Clears just fine but on hard right turns, u can feel it just barely vibrating a tad in the steering wheel. Trying to decide if I should leave them alone as they are since they barely touch without having to really bang on em or if it would be worth it to work them just a bit for a little added clearance. 1-3/4 prob have no issue at all but I could prob hardly fit a piece of paper between these 1-7/8 and the steering shaft.

Let me know fellas. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a short. Follow the wiring to the headlight.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll have to look up the wiring diagram online. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Weird thing is it was working fine up until just recently. I would say bad ground but all other lights are working perfect and I know there has to be more than one light grounded to the same spot. So.... You're prob right. It's prob a short in the wire somewhere. Just figured I'd post incase anyone else had this issue and found a simple solution.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The only possible thing that I can think of is that the insulation on the hot wire is cracked and contacting sheet metal in the engine bay. That would set up a pretty solid short-circuit (since I believe the electrical system utilizes the body as a common ground). Do you know if the fuse blew when the lights turned on (as opposed when you started the car)?

Recommend putting a little tiny dent in the header while the installation is fresh in your memory and the bolts are loosened up. It's super simple... grab a hammer, a folded towel to deaden the blow, and give it 2-3 solid hits with the hammer. Otherwise, the noise and feeling will probably drive you nuts.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... I'm gonna throw it back on the lift tomorrow and clearance the header just a tad more cause I think you're right. It's tolerable but I'm so picky, if it's not perfect, it'll eventually **** me off. Lol

As far as the headlight, the first fuse was most likely already blown. I replaced the bulb and turned the lights on and nothing happened. Checked the fuse and it was bad. Replaced it and then tried the headlights again and actually heard it pop as soon as I turned the switch. I'll have to figure out where the power wire is and trace it back to see if it is exposed somewhere. I hate electrical issues. Prob something simple somewhere along the line but just a tedious pain in the *** job to have to hunt it down... Lol
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Never did figure out the solution for this. I'm planning to pull the bumper cover tomorrow and take a good look at whats going on behind there. Tired of driving around with high beams on to avoid getting pulled over. Hoping by pulling the cover, ill be able to see a problem. I'll prob try swapping ballasts back and forth from side to side and see if the problem switches sides but since the light doesn't come on at all, im thinking its probably a wiring short of some sort somewhere between the fuse box and the headlight.

Anyone else with any experience with this please chime in...

Also, If i determine that its a bad ballast, considering the ridiculous prices for the stock HID ballasts and bulbs in these car, could i just run an aftermarket HID kit. One can be had for about $100 or less including ballasts, bulbs of choice, etc. Prob get two kits and run matching fogs with them as well. Just wanted to make sure it would all just plug in since i don't have much experience with this stuff.

Quick Reply: Headlight is out and it's blowing fuses. Couple other issues. Come in fellas!!