Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Intermittent vibration at hwy speed 07' CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dealing with the exact same thing right now. Vibration over 65mph in 6th. I definately need motor mounts but I need a paycheck before I can get those lol. I will now check the carrier bearing tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well it is at the dealership now. They did not sound to excited about dealing with the extended warranty people, but I don't as long as it works when I get it back. I will give you an update after I get it back.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Extended warranties and vibrations are never a good combination.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Yep dealership called and said they felt nothing and could not find anything. He asked if I wanted to pick up and I told them no. :-). Told them I would take someone for a ride later thiS week when I can get it. Shame when my 03 Xterra with 144 K and 06 G35 with 91 K are 100 x smoother ride then the V. We will see what the guy next to me thinks at 100 mph.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Good move.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

I see why they found nothing. I went to pick it up because I can't get back in till next Saturday. I picked it up and first off they forgot to do the oil change. Then I see the problem description which is engine vibration over 65 mph. I told the guy drivetrain vibration noticeable at 75 mph and gets progressively worse the faster you go. I can see this is going to be a real pain in the ***. I wish I had a hydraulic lift in the garage.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

When I had it in they mentioned normal maint. Like balancing tires is not warranty work. So I had them balanced and rotated and as I suspected it did not change. Going to take it in to my local garage for an oil change and have them take pictures or video of the bad bearing so I can just show e dealership. What a pain in the ***.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

You could also secure a camera under the car aimed at the carrier bearing along the driveshaft and verify that it's shaking causing the vibration at speed.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

I have an '07 and I had the same thing when I first got the car 2 years ago. Brought it to the dealer and they re-indexed the driveshaft (basically unbolted, turned it half a turn and rebolted) and told me to pick it up. I was REALLY skeptical, but when I took the car home sure enough the 6th gear vibes were gone.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

I saw someone posted a video on YouTube of a camera filming the carrier bearing. Pretty convincing. Guess that is an option if it goes that far.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Took it back to my trusted family garage. Now I have pictures of the drive shaft basically resting on the shield and pushed up. The tape measure shows it 3/4" away from the shield at the bearing location. Pretty sure the tolerance for play in the DS is not 3/4". Does anyone have any idea what the play should be? Would be fun to go back to dealership armed with info. Last time it was there the tech said it is "In Tolerance", but what I asked what the tolerance was he could not answer.
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent vibration at hwy speed 07' CTS-V-ctsv-ds-shield.jpg   Intermittent vibration at hwy speed 07' CTS-V-ctsv-ds-pushed.jpg  

Last edited by RunYun; 09-20-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

I was hoping someone had the actual tolerance so I could quote it when I take it in later this week.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Any updates?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

GM won't specify a tolerance on a rubber insulated part like that. Best you can get is a angle measurement, but the dealership probably won't honor that for warranty repair. Did it feel loose in the strap or just able to move around a bit? It should be able to center itself in the strap when you let go.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Lol doesn't matter what spec is. Its def not ½" of play in all directions. Its probably why they had diff problems.. this is why I am so Leary about buying an American car. They just dont care about the final product like jap cars.. this is why I am member here so I can learn the most about issues so I can go over my new purchase correctly..
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

I have this as well and would like to get it fixed. Yesterday it was so bad that I had to run 69mph in a 70mph zone. This morning it was smooth as butter at any speed. Strange!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DougNuts
I have this as well and would like to get it fixed. Yesterday it was so bad that I had to run 69mph in a 70mph zone. This morning it was smooth as butter at any speed. Strange!
I have the same vibration at 70 - 85 it starts to disappear as I get closer to 90. I also have a sound like monster truck tires.I have CS Motor and Trans mounts. I rotated the wheels and the problem still exists to the extent it did before eliminating the wheels as a possibility.

Going to try the chassis ears to see if we can pinpoint where the vibration/noise is coming from.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SIGFOD
I have the same vibration at 70 - 85 it starts to disappear as I get closer to 90. I also have a sound like monster truck tires.I have CS Motor and Trans mounts. I rotated the wheels and the problem still exists to the extent it did before eliminating the wheels as a possibility.

Going to try the chassis ears to see if we can pinpoint where the vibration/noise is coming from.
I will bet the inside edges of your tires are "feathered". It is caused by poor alignment, worn suspension components, or not rotating the tires timely (or combo of all). I had this issue on my Mazdaspeed 3 and the CTSv I just bought has this issue. Definitely sounds like monster truck tires. If you roll through some dust and look at the tires the feathering should be evident.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SIGFOD

Cool, let us know if you find anything. I can't believe how randomly occurring this is on my car.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by casey02ws6
I will bet the inside edges of your tires are "feathered". It is caused by poor alignment, worn suspension components, or not rotating the tires timely (or combo of all). I had this issue on my Mazdaspeed 3 and the CTSv I just bought has this issue. Definitely sounds like monster truck tires. If you roll through some dust and look at the tires the feathering should be evident.
I will look for feathering and scalloping when I use the chassis ears. I know the tires that came off my wife's X5 were terribly scalloped. I didn't rotate the tires on the CTS-V my buddy did, but he didn't mention anything about them being scalloped.

I did have a bad wheel for 500 and the noise may be an artifact of that, though it didn't change when I rotated tires.

Quick Reply: Intermittent vibration at hwy speed 07' CTS-V