Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Intermittent vibration at hwy speed 07' CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had a chance to take it back into the dealer since I posted. It will go days and drive like a dream and then drives like all four wheels are out of balance. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I change the rotors and did the brakes and everything was tight and right so it is just a matter of getting the dealership to honor the warranty. Love the car when it runs smooth, but may be my last American car. I have bought Nissans and Infiniti for the last 8 yrs with no issues. And e minor ones I had the dealership took care of without any run around.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RunYun
I have not had a chance to take it back into the dealer since I posted. It will go days and drive like a dream and then drives like all four wheels are out of balance. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I change the rotors and did the brakes and everything was tight and right so it is just a matter of getting the dealership to honor the warranty. Love the car when it runs smooth, but may be my last American car. I have bought Nissans and Infiniti for the last 8 yrs with no issues. And e minor ones I had the dealership took care of without any run around.
I hear you about that, but what car does Nissan make now that entices one to buy. This car gets my pulse racing everyday on my commute to work. It is almost as fast as my Sentra on the track. Having a crazy track car the noise and vibration of this car are just a minor annoyance. I am very surprised at the reliability of this car overall even compared to my last 4 cars (2 VWs, and 2 BMWs)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

It will go days and drive like a dream and then drives like all four wheels are out of balance. Weirdest thing I have ever seen.
I have the exact same thing. Like I said, a week ago I couldn't drive between 70-80mph without it feeling like a wheel was terribly out of balance. Sometimes I can barely feel a vibration and sometimes it is smooth as butter. I just don't get it, but I have a theory that it has to do with heat getting to the rubber guibo and/or center bearing for the driveshaft.

..... may be my last American car.
You lost me here. Every manufacturer has cars with issues and cars without. Every time I am frustrated with the V, I remember all of the maintenance and suspension linkage replacement that BMW's seem to require.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DougNuts
I have the exact same thing. Like I said, a week ago I couldn't drive between 70-80mph without it feeling like a wheel was terribly out of balance. Sometimes I can barely feel a vibration and sometimes it is smooth as butter. I just don't get it, but I have a theory that it has to do with heat getting to the rubber guibo and/or center bearing for the driveshaft.

You lost me here. Every manufacturer has cars with issues and cars without. Every time I am frustrated with the V, I remember all of the maintenance and suspension linkage replacement that BMW's seem to require.
VWs need window regulators, Toyota has bad electronics, BMW has turbo issues, every make has their issues.

I used to have issues with intermittent vibrations when my diff bushing was torn and starting to die. It would be great for a week until I got on the gas hard, or braked hard, or cornered hard, which would then cause alignment issues with the diff bushing, and then noise.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Mine ended up being a rear tire out of balance. Fixed and now car is smooth as glass
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up for the people that are still having this issue

my car would vibrate like everyone elses. I would get the tires balanced, it would be good for 100-200miles, then would come back.

We'll I sold my car about 3 months ago to a buddie of mine put hotchkiss swaybars and new endlinks on it. Drives smooth as can be now. No vibration and the thing feels 100% tighter. I dont know if it was the endlinks or the swaybars, but I would definately pay $500 to make the vibration I had go away

One thing to remember is that our endlinks have plastic in them, and they flex a lot. So try the endlinks first and see how they do
Old 11-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

I will have to check this. Went back to the Chevy dealership I bought at and they brought the shop foreman out to talk to me. He proceeded to tell me that they do not know how to work on these cars and I would need to take it to a Cadillac dealership. Why didn't they just tell me this in the first place. This run around it starting to really irritate me. And the vibration is getting worse. At times I swear I can smell a hint of burnt rubber after pulling in the garage. Taking it to the Cadillac dealership in the am so we will see.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Took Cadillac tech for drive and vibration was not apparent. He actually owns an 05' modded. Great guy. I was ready to take his word if he said it was good. Left it at dealership and they just called saying center support "carrier bearing" is bad and they would have to replace the drive shaft assembly. Great service and great tech. Looks like this will be taken care of now. I have had my last trip to that Chevy dealership.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

No issues with warranty company after going to the caddy dealership. Car runs like a dream now.

Quick Reply: Intermittent vibration at hwy speed 07' CTS-V