Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1, how much HP to hit 10.9?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
I know we have a handful of owners that have pretty stout V1s and have done the geforce rear or cs 8.8 upgrade. Why have we not seen time slips on these? Surely a few of them have gone to the strip. What is the hold up? It's been long enough already.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it's not that the V1 is not capable but that folks are just to fearful even after 'stouting up' their rears.

Someone with a TVS/whipple/200 shot/big angry block needs to take the V1 for a spin.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Ill be tracking mine soon. Really haven't driven it much since i got it. Just trying to get the rest of the stuff i want so i can get it tuned and everything is turn key the way i want it.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

once my rearend goes in ill let you know if 549 rwhp does it lol
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

solid mounts, stiffen up the rear suspension, upgrade the rear end,a strong clutch and slicks and i dont see it being to difficult its just a question of how much do you really want to put into the car.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Pretty sure the madman rear is a solid axel setup right? For just $6k you can have it. lol

My 8.8 should hold up just fine. Not planning on making 1000hp with this thing.
The Madman rear was IRS IIRC...and he does not offer it any more, I think. And when he was offering it, it was $7,500 plus $1,500 for install.

Your 8.8 will be good into the mid 600s. After that, it will start having issues. All you got to do is look at the 03-04 Cobras. Those guys start swapping to a solid axle at that point, if not before.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Unlike in the cobras, we ***cant*** just bolt up a solid rear axle. The mustang conversion is pretty much if not straight on bolt in swap.

I would think that the money required to buy a V1, get the clutch, driveshaft, rear end, trailing arms and wider rear (widened or aftermarket) rims then get the power out of the motor to go that fast, the money gets close to the cost of a V2, unless picking up a now decently priced high mileage v at like 14k, which will need alot of that work and then some anyways due to wear.

I am sure that a ten second V1 is possible, I would be willing to say that most guys get to the point of frustation at all the mods required and say screw it.

I love the way the V1 looks, and just drove an '09, and dont care for the mirrors and the ricaros i dont see being comfortable for a long trip, no side to side room for legs either.

Back to the point, when building the motor might as well get ample fuel system, forged big C.I. and some big spray if not turbo or maggie. Still be prepared for a big hit in the wallet.

Whatever you think you are going to need, build for 100 HP more to over come bad 60' time and you could make it.

Last edited by slowlaneblues06; 04-06-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Since ET is primarily the result of traction not to soon to address the tire issue after making sure there is enough HP and the rear end is beefed up enough to handle the hard launches you will need to run a good 60' in an effort to get into the 10's.

A 10.9 in a V1 is quite a goal and would be quite an achievement, IMO.

Best of luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Cole... I have all of what u said other than an aftermarket driveshaft. I dont see anything breaking anytime soon. Once i hit the 600 mark... ill be happy. Not trying to make it a race car. I just want it fast enough to beat most stuff on the street and be a nice running daily.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cole... I have all of what u said other than an aftermarket driveshaft. I dont see anything breaking anytime soon. Once i hit the 600 mark... ill be happy. Not trying to make it a race car. I just want it fast enough to beat most stuff on the street and be a nice running daily.
I call bull **** buddy...haha.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! 600 is plenty in this car
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IDK people skydivers car is tuned to the max w a rear and I havent seen 10's from him so...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kl2onik
IDK people skydivers car is tuned to the max w a rear and I havent seen 10's from him so...
I haven't seen ANY recent times from skydiver, but i'd like to.

Neversatisfied, shoot me a PM when you are heading to the track.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

there will be a solid axle in my v1 hopefully by the end of the year. i will have a full documented write up done with pictures and everything done step by step. hopefully, if my builder lets me hahaha. either way there will be finished product pictures fo sho.

new motor should be done by end of the month. we will see how long it takes the stock IV gen dif will last hahahahahaha.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

U doing a solid axel 8.8 conversion or a ford 9"? It can be done. Someone with some fabrication/welding skills could make it work. Would just take some time to measure, build brackets and fit it all as u go. If anything ever happens to my current rear (if I even still own the car by then), I'll prob go that route.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

after riding in PISNUOFF's 418 stroker V this weekend, I'm unsure how anyone can accidentally break a 4th gen differential. I'm sure if you wheel hopped the **** out of it and didn't feather the clutch at all, it'll explode, but we were going all sorts of sideways and it just took it, and not a clunk. if I pop my 2nd or 3rd gen (not sure which I have), i'll either be going 8.8 or stock gen 4.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

U doing a solid axel 8.8 conversion or a ford 9"? It can be done. Someone with some fabrication/welding skills could make it work. Would just take some time to measure, build brackets and fit it all as u go. If anything ever happens to my current rear (if I even still own the car by then), I'll prob go that route.
ill be going solid built ford 9" with a 4 link setup
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

never satisfied maybe you should look into something like this to help aid traction since you already have the 8.8 diff
seems to work for the gto guys
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...d=74&catid=215
Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I know its obvious, but a beefier rear end is a must. So 8.8 or 9" has anyone broke one in their V?

Then lets go with weight reduction. Where can we trim some fat off these cars? I know that if you were just going to the track for some good times I would take out everything I could I.E. the passenger seat and rear seat etc etc. So lets see, lighter clutch assembly, lighter tires/wheels, hood? exhuast, 1/2 tank of fuel, CAI, anything to drop a pound helps really. Hitting the treadmill. So what other ideas might drop some weight?

Also, you all seem so negative about it and how much $ it would take to get a V1 into the 10's. I dont see it that way, other than putting in the rear end (ok thats 5k you would not spend on other cars) the mods are essentially the same. If I was building a fast GTO/Camaro/Vette etc. I would take a very similar route with building the motor/clutch/trans. So I dont see a huge difference with cost. I know I would not have to build a 600 hp 408 to get either of the above cars to hit 10 seconds, but I would
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

I agree, other thatn the glass *** in these cars, the rest of the mods are the same. The GTos are having their own share of rearend problems too. I am biuting the bullet now on the rearend and maybe if I keep the car I will start in on hte motor in about 6 months or so by starting to pick up all the parts to build a dropin LS7, and keep my motor intact incase...

I am not a big time drag racer, dont mind some street runs in the right environment from a roll, but I still would like to see a V! in the 10s. I hope you do it and post a video to all others to show you were first.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I know its obvious, but a beefier rear end is a must. So 8.8 or 9" has anyone broke one in their V?

Then lets go with weight reduction. Where can we trim some fat off these cars? I know that if you were just going to the track for some good times I would take out everything I could I.E. the passenger seat and rear seat etc etc. So lets see, lighter clutch assembly, lighter tires/wheels, hood? exhuast, 1/2 tank of fuel, CAI, anything to drop a pound helps really. Hitting the treadmill. So what other ideas might drop some weight?

Also, you all seem so negative about it and how much $ it would take to get a V1 into the 10's. I dont see it that way, other than putting in the rear end (ok thats 5k you would not spend on other cars) the mods are essentially the same. If I was building a fast GTO/Camaro/Vette etc. I would take a very similar route with building the motor/clutch/trans. So I dont see a huge difference with cost. I know I would not have to build a 600 hp 408 to get either of the above cars to hit 10 seconds, but I would
You pretty much nailed what you can do to reduce the weight of the V1. I believe you can also take out the truck lining a spare tire tub.

Getting a V1 in the 10s would be nice. My negativity comes from the amount of money it cost to make a high 12s car. With my power, a GTO will run low to mid 12s, but I would be lucky to hit 12.7x. The V1 and GTO are VERY similar in weight, with the GTO weighing about 50lbs (curb) less then us. The V chasis just is not designed for running the 1/4, its ment to go around the bends. All you have to do is look at a time slip from a V1. 2.0-2.2 60', with ETs in the mid to high 12s. But the Trap Speed is at a level that would indicate a low 12 or high 11 pass. Wheel hop will kill us every time out of the gate, but a good SRA would solve that.

One other thing that keeps me from modding to death is: that its a Cadillac. I bought the car from comfort and cruising. The lengths I would have to go to in order to have a 10s V1, takes away most of the reason I bought the car. I never intended on turning it in a trailer queen. I would a nice, fun, and somewhat fast car, that could be a DD. Which is why I am looking to move on to a C6 Z06 or maybe a V2.

Quick Reply: V1, how much HP to hit 10.9?