Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

cam install

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cam install

What's the is the groups opinion of doing a cam swap but still retainer cast manifolds, is it a waste of time or would if be alright. It would be catless with magnaflow xpipe and exhaust
Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It can be done, but you do end up with less power for the money. I did this on an LS6 with a custom cam from PatrickG, which is designed to work with stock exahust manifolds. I use Randotn Tech cats and had my stock exhaust manifolds Extrude Honed. I later added Trick Flow Heads and a FASt 102 intake w/LS2 throttlebody.

As general matter, the abence of headers (but with no cats or high-flow cats) will cost you 10-15 horsepower on a stock motor and 15-25 horsepower on a cammed motor depending on how much cam you would have run with headers as opposed to stock manifolds.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not too bad, it will cost you in the end, but you will still pick up a lot everywhere if you pick the right grind. FYI - the Thunder Racing CheaTR V.3 was made specifically for retaining the manifolds, but will still make more power if you get a free flowing exhaust.

Just make sure that the cam you pick has a pretty decent exhaust bias, in the neighborhood of 20* duration over the intake to account for expelling the exhaust gasses through a more restrictive system.

Cams installs are not too bad on our cars.

Quick Reply: cam install