Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Should I Buy A CTS V or G8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt read everything above so this may have been mentioned.....but my MAIN deciding factor of V>G8 is production.....you wont find **** for parts on that g8 if anything happens to it, because there was so few made before Pontiac went down. With the V, we can pull parts off regular CTS as well if there was some body damage somehow, and the other V's that were made....Its not something everyone thinks of, but you will be cursing the second something happens, because of how difficult it will be to fix
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

trying to make same decision.
for me, its either a v2 cts-v or a g8 gxp.
6sp trans is a must, even though it is a daily driver.
not worried about autox, i have the camaro for that.
the only drag racing would be light to light, from what i've seen the v2 rear end should handle that.
the only mods i would do would be a tune and maybe headers.
the caddy looks better, but even the gxps are cheaper than a v2 right now.

tony
Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
trying to make same decision.
for me, its either a v2 cts-v or a g8 gxp.
6sp trans is a must, even though it is a daily driver.
not worried about autox, i have the camaro for that.
the only drag racing would be light to light, from what i've seen the v2 rear end should handle that.
the only mods i would do would be a tune and maybe headers.
the caddy looks better, but even the gxps are cheaper than a v2 right now.

tony
based on the above V2 no brainer
Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a couple days late to this thread but I asked myself the same question when before I bought my V last summer.

I test drove two G8 GTs and although they are nice cars they just seemed to be lacking in slightly in overall power and comfort. The suspension seems to be a little stiffer where with the V you're getting a nicer ride.

Also, the manual vs auto is a big factor. Although I drive 85 miles round trip (soon to be only 50 miles) to work ever day I wanted a six speed because I never had one. I love it most of the time, only time I get tired of it is when you're hitting every red stop light.

As far as the differential is concerned, I worried about it too from what you heard on here, but you also have to remember a lot of guys do get on their cars pretty hard and take them to the track. And with mine only being a DD I've taken care of it. The only mods it has are a CAI, short throw shifter, and Magnaflow Axle Back which were all on the car when I bought it. It does seem like the 06-07s have a better rear end but if you find a lower mile 04-05, like mine that only had 24k when I bought it and 36k now, or one that has had the differential replaced under warranty I wouldn't think you'd have much to worry about.

The one thing I don't like about the V is the availability of aftermarket wheels. Because GM decided to make it a six lug car our wheel choices are really limited. Compare that to a G8 where you have more wheel options and the 20 inch Camaro wheels look pretty damn good on them.

Overall I'm glad with I made the the choice I did. Although I'm thinking about selling it and maybe getting a GMC Sierra Denali, I wouldn't sell it for a G8.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 AM
Teching In

I went down this same road.

I started out choosing between V1 and G8-GT.....then ended up choosing between V2 and G8-GXP.

In the end...I went with the GXP.

I really like the rarity of them. (1829 made...total)

There seem to be TONS of standard CTS's around here in Central Indiana.

I've seen probably 5....CTS V-2's..so far this year...on my travels to and from work....but I see numerous CTS' on a daily basis.

As far as looks go....I prefer the flow of the GXP's body lines.

I figure I can do all of the mods that I'm planning (Cam-Stall-TVS2300-AR LongTube Headers-HFC's & X Pipe-CAI-fuel system upgrade and a re-tune).....and that will more than likely put me at 100hp+ over what the V2 comes with.

Anyways...my goal is to do all of this and still remain daily driveable (many guys are currently running these setups on GXP's).....and I will still save anywhere from $10-$15k over what I would've spent for a V2 with comparable mileage and condition.

I've experienced ZERO WHEEL HOP with mine. (I'm running 255-40-19"s up front and 285-35-19"s in the rear...on Staggered Lorenzo 8.5"s and 9.5"s.

We carpool for work...so I've had myself and 3 other guys in my car for 180+ mile trips...and we're all over 6' tall and range from 235-300lbs...and I've experienced ZERO RUB issues.

My tires are Continental Sport Contact 2's

Good luck in whichever one you choose...they're both GREAT cars and I think we're lucky to have these options here in the States !
Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGDaWgZ
I went down this same road.

I started out choosing between V1 and G8-GT.....then ended up choosing between V2 and G8-GXP.

In the end...I went with the GXP.

I really like the rarity of them. (1829 made...total)

There seem to be TONS of standard CTS's around here in Central Indiana.

I've seen probably 5....CTS V-2's..so far this year...on my travels to and from work....but I see numerous CTS' on a daily basis.

As far as looks go....I prefer the flow of the GXP's body lines.

I figure I can do all of the mods that I'm planning (Cam-Stall-TVS2300-AR LongTube Headers-HFC's & X Pipe-CAI-fuel system upgrade and a re-tune).....and that will more than likely put me at 100hp+ over what the V2 comes with.

Anyways...my goal is to do all of this and still remain daily driveable (many guys are currently running these setups on GXP's).....and I will still save anywhere from $10-$15k over what I would've spent for a V2 with comparable mileage and condition.

I've experienced ZERO WHEEL HOP with mine. (I'm running 255-40-19"s up front and 285-35-19"s in the rear...on Staggered Lorenzo 8.5"s and 9.5"s.

We carpool for work...so I've had myself and 3 other guys in my car for 180+ mile trips...and we're all over 6' tall and range from 235-300lbs...and I've experienced ZERO RUB issues.

My tires are Continental Sport Contact 2's

Good luck in whichever one you choose...they're both GREAT cars and I think we're lucky to have these options here in the States !
are you trying to convince us, or yourself, that you had made the better purchase?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RADEoN
are you trying to convince us, or yourself, that you had made the better purchase?
LOL...really?

I've drove several examples of both...and could've bought either.

Simply listed WHY I chose the GXP.

I'm exceedingly happy with what I chose

Thanks

Last edited by BiGDaWgZ; 07-31-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm happy with my g8.

If I had to choose v2 or a g8 it would be a v2. But I'm over 600rwhp now and would leave most vs in the dust. And have some money too...
Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True it is less money for the G... And with that extra money you can do something about the ugly *** end
Old 09-15-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sold my GXP and my dad bought a V2. I'm 6" 250 lbs. the GXP is a LOT more comfortable and roomy. The V seems very held back from the factory. My GXP actually felt faster and more nimble due to less mass. For long trips and actually putting big people or kids in the back seat I'd choose a GXP.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Buy the g8. More mod friendly, 6 speed auto trans, much much better 1/4 mile times. The "man pedal" gets old quick.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I have my cammed and bolton V. Wife has a muffler delete and camaro 20s G8.

I like both. In traffic or with a lot of people the G8 wins. Fun to driv eby FAR the V.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by ITSAV
I didnt read everything above so this may have been mentioned.....but my MAIN deciding factor of V>G8 is production.....you wont find **** for parts on that g8 if anything happens to it, because there was so few made before Pontiac went down. With the V, we can pull parts off regular CTS as well if there was some body damage somehow, and the other V's that were made....Its not something everyone thinks of, but you will be cursing the second something happens, because of how difficult it will be to fix
Not true at all, I've rebuilt multiple G8's and haven't had any problem finding parts. They made a ton of these cars around the world and places have fast shipping. Plus Camaro parts fit in multiple places as it's a zeta chassis as well.

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
I have my cammed and bolton V. Wife has a muffler delete and camaro 20s G8.

I like both. In traffic or with a lot of people the G8 wins. Fun to driv eby FAR the V.
Should have got a GXP and kept the fun to drive in both cars!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

one 10k more. two wife doesnt need the power. 3 she hates manual(biggest reason IMO to get a GXP)

Quick Reply: Should I Buy A CTS V or G8?