Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

A familiar sight for some...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a brand new 4th gen diff and want to go to the track. All I have for mods is a Magnaflow exhaust. Will I be safe at the track? I have a friend with a new 5.0 that wants to go head to head with me.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a set of bullet proof axles to go with a 4gen your dropping at least 1G+ 4gen is ~$800 so 1,800$.cons still have the pinion lash and weak *** Getrag case vs.. partial CS 8.8 kit + source your own 8.8 diff ~$750.do it all yourself. is still $3300.. i fially pulled the trigger on the latter setup

Originally Posted by qwank
I have a brand new 4th gen diff and want to go to the track. All I have for mods is a Magnaflow exhaust. Will I be safe at the track? I have a friend with a new 5.0 that wants to go head to head with me.
check 07ctsv post.. you really should upgrade the axles and CVs if you want to take a 4th gen to the 1/4 track or do any launching/1-2 WOT shifts. or this is bound to happen

this is the classic CTSV diff failure

weakness list: IMO and reading through the years
1. AL getrag case.. newer the better..
2. inner CV/ stock axls
3. outer CV
4. never heard gears or the carrier itself braking at any power level

Last edited by shadyLS6; 05-21-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
whats your mods? I see you have 470hp in the thread but what mods to motor? Semi-local shop called Race Proven said 450-460 range with a FAST, Cam, and tune... you should have alot more or similar mods to make that powa in the AZ heat... what wheels you running also...lol
MP112 with 2.75 upper, 1 7/8" LT high flows with Corsa, Volant... it put down 470 in nice weather... not summer temps. I've got the GM accessory wheels

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
For a set of bullet proof axles to go with a 4gen your dropping at least 1G+ 4gen is ~$800 so 1,800$.cons still have the pinion lash and weak *** Getrag case vs.. partial CS 8.8 kit + source your own 8.8 diff ~$750.do it all yourself. is still $3300.. i fially pulled the trigger on the latter setup

check 07ctsv post.. you really should upgrade the axles and CVs if you want to take a 4th gen to the 1/4 track or do any launching/1-2 WOT shifts. or this is bound to happen

this is the classic CTSV diff failure

weakness list: IMO and reading through the years
1. AL getrag case.. newer the better..
2. inner CV/ stock axls
3. outer CV
4. never heard gears or the carrier itself braking at any power level
I'm leaning towards this route
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish GM would put out a cast iron 5th gen carrier. I guess our cars are too old for them to care about anymore. Most are out of warranty by now.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

that actually isnt the typical break. Ive actually never seen a break like that

Most of them are in a V pattern and are on the side
Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcryan

It sounded worse than it looks LOL... of course it's always funny when at least three people came up to me and said "make sure to rub the numbers off your window for warranty"... I'm like dude it's eight years old and I don't buy aftermarket warranties.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I AM the warranty"

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

That thing destroyed itself. I've seen them break, but never in the places that this one did. Pretty rough looking, and it's the threads like these that keep from taking the V to the track.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea the track was well prepped since there was a Mustang event ... So there was no give
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

I avoid the track for this very reason, well primarily because its my DD and I would be screwed...What wheels are you running?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the GM accessory wheels
Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

you guys must have short memories but that other forum is full of people who never been to the track and had diff failures. People have had more rear end issues on the street then the strip.

Some people who will remain nameless here have broken their car everywhere but a drag strip.

And to the OP it seems once people go built rear they never drag their v's and end up selling it not long after. I would go with the gen 4 rear and just wait till you find your never vehicle.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
Yep... blew the diff on the 1/4 mile strip... got off the line as well as I could with slipping the clutch and after the 1-2 shift I was done.
Look on the bright side, you MADE IT to the 1-2 shift, I didn't make it past 20 feet lol

Originally Posted by wcryan

wcryan, yes you have, silly pants. You seem to not remember the thread I started from my first and only 1/4 mile run lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...al-2004-a.html

Originally Posted by tmonttt
That thing destroyed itself. I've seen them break, but never in the places that this one did. Pretty rough looking, and it's the threads like these that keep from taking the V to the track.
Mine did too, it seems to not be that uncommon.

Good luck with the replacement. It's not that hard to do, but just be careful, that front section will fall out on you if you don't pay attention.

Here's a pic of my diff after I removed it:

-meaty
Attached Thumbnails A familiar sight for some...-brokendiff.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
you guys must have short memories but that other forum is full of people who never been to the track and had diff failures. People have had more rear end issues on the street then the strip.

Some people who will remain nameless here have broken their car everywhere but a drag strip.

And to the OP it seems once people go built rear they never drag their v's and end up selling it not long after. I would go with the gen 4 rear and just wait till you find your never vehicle.
Yea I am still weighing my options...

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
Look on the bright side, you MADE IT to the 1-2 shift, I didn't make it past 20 feet lol

wcryan, yes you have, silly pants. You seem to not remember the thread I started from my first and only 1/4 mile run lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...al-2004-a.html

Mine did too, it seems to not be that uncommon.

Good luck with the replacement. It's not that hard to do, but just be careful, that front section will fall out on you if you don't pay attention.

Here's a pic of my diff after I removed it:

-meaty
LOL yes I did make it off the line... and holy **** @ the picture
Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kl2onik
If you are going to go with a new car in the next year or so I wouldn't waste the money on a 9" or the 8.8. 4th gen dif on ebay at the moment....http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-07-Cadill...ea14bc&vxp=mtr
I love it how salvage yards don't list the mileage when I guarantee you they know it!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ so they can get top dollar

Id go back every week to see if it's sold. I bet they will give you a good price eventually
Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwank
I have a friend with a new 5.0 that wants to go head to head with me.
Why would you want to go head to head with a new 5.0? Unless you are a professional drag racer and he has cerebral palsy and has never raced...you wont have a chance.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I've decided on going with the Creative Steel kit with an iron case and 3.90 gears... I'll be placing the order soon. I can't see myself driving like a nancy or not going back to the track in this car while I own it and I think it will help me when I go to sell it later on... I'll have a better chance of getting my asking price with a stout drivetrain.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whisler151
Why would you want to go head to head with a new 5.0? Unless you are a professional drag racer and he has cerebral palsy and has never raced...you wont have a chance.
Agreed...and nothing worse that blowing your rear when you were going to lose anyway. Those cars are quick.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd def race a new5.0, esp since I have a chance of winning. Come on now, it took FORD how long to build something that was competitive based on a platform that is 7 years old!

Quick Reply: A familiar sight for some...