Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Painted my Headlights...not happy. How are yall painting them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012 | 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
What temp did u cook them at and what did you use to put them back together? And since the plastic paint didnt work, what are u planning to paint them with now?
350 degrees for 12 minutes and the pulled right apart. I'm using filler primer now (to fill the light scratches from all the sanding to get the plastic paint off) and then top coat of just standard Dupli-color Enamel which is the same paint I used on the front housings.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/premiumEnamel/

If you have an Orielly's near you they are running a buy one get one free on these cans right now so you can get two cans for $5 (not that you need 2 cans, but a good deal none the less).

If I had not done the plastic paint all that you need is to scuff the surface, lay a coat or two of standard primer then cover with 2-3 light coats of the black and you're in business.

One thing to note is that the chrome trim around the headlights came right off with the masking tape so I had to re-spray these with the Dupli-Color chrome paint. Alternatively you can just paint everything black, but I wanted to keep the contrast.
Old 06-01-2012 | 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I think they look great, I pulled mine back off and am painting the inner housing now and am adding some halo's. Here is a picture of mine before I pulled them to paint the inside:

Definitely a clean look, but with the inside painted would look 100 times better. I want to do this to mine, and since both of headlights leak as is, might as well give it a shot. It can't get much worse than it already is.

Plus, like the others were saying, stay away from the Halo look. It looks like garbage on these cars.

EDIT: Post up some pictures up with the insides painted too!
Old 06-01-2012 | 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Curious... Will the baking of the lights ruin the painting thats already been done on the outside of the lenses?
Old 06-01-2012 | 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That thought crossed my mind but it didn't phase them one bit, just heated the glue enough to remove the top housing that was it. I would recommend pulling all the wiring and bulbs out which I did.

Also to reseal I'm using the plastic epoxy in the corners and key clamping spots to provide a strong hold then black silicon for the seams in between. The black silicon has worked fantastic in the rear break lights I've done, no moister at all, however to be sure a strong seal holds I am adding the expoxy. If you've never used this stuff you have to check it out, it is incredible for plastic. It's the most durable product I've ever used and retains strong clamping power when mixed correctly. It's esentially identical to plastic welding in my opinion, here is a link:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44649-69-136...etInfo=LOCTITE
Old 06-01-2012 | 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmonttt
Plus, like the others were saying, stay away from the Halo look. It looks like garbage on these cars.

Really you think this is garbage?

Old 06-01-2012 | 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

^^ 100% garbage and a waste of money in my opinion. It's not my car, nor will I ever see your car so do with it as you please. I just feel that the halo's are just excessive and not meant for a V.

On another note, bad *** job on the painting of the lens, I just want to see what the pictures look like with the inside housing painted.
Old 06-01-2012 | 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmonttt
^^ 100% garbage and a waste of money in my opinion. It's not my car, nor will I ever see your car so do with it as you please. I just feel that the halo's are just excessive and not meant for a V.

On another note, bad *** job on the painting of the lens, I just want to see what the pictures look like with the inside housing painted.
Right on, when I re-read my post I can see how it comes across as a little rough around the edges, that was not my intent was just curious. On a side note the halo's were $5 so not exactly breaking the bank if I put them on and decide they are crap when I look at them. It will be interesting to see how they look in person before I make my decision, but as I said before to each their own with respect to these kind of mods.

I will show pictures for sure as soon as I finish up painting the inside, it's kind of down on the list at the moment because I'm finishing the engine which I pulled to put new cam, heads, oil pump, flywheel, injectors and the like. I'm hoping however that I can finish these headlights up in the next week or so, and thanks for the compliment!!

Last edited by etcts-v; 06-01-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2012 | 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd have to see it away from the ricer angle to make judgement.
Old 06-01-2012 | 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by etcts-v
That thought crossed my mind but it didn't phase them one bit, just heated the glue enough to remove the top housing that was it. I would recommend pulling all the wiring and bulbs out which I did.

Also to reseal I'm using the plastic epoxy in the corners and key clamping spots to provide a strong hold then black silicon for the seams in between. The black silicon has worked fantastic in the rear break lights I've done, no moister at all, however to be sure a strong seal holds I am adding the expoxy. If you've never used this stuff you have to check it out, it is incredible for plastic. It's the most durable product I've ever used and retains strong clamping power when mixed correctly. It's esentially identical to plastic welding in my opinion, here is a link:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44649-69-136...etInfo=LOCTITE
Hmm... You have me tempted to try this with my lights now. I love the black edges but the insides painted black sure would be nice.
Old 06-01-2012 | 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Hmm... You have me tempted to try this with my lights now. I love the black edges but the insides painted black sure would be nice.
AGREED!!! Maybe tomorrow if I don't find something else to get into.
Old 06-01-2012 | 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll just have to figure out what paint to use. I think pulling them apart will be easy. It's making sure the paint lays nice and even and then sealing them back up that will be a pain in the *** lol
Old 06-01-2012 | 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nah it'll be easy!
Old 06-02-2012 | 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot to mention to use a ton of clamps and a heater (or dehumidifer) when you are re-sealing them up to prevent condensation.

I wouldn't sweat the paint, the plastic inserts are real easy to paint especially if you have any experience with rattle can painting. The only reason I ran into trouble was because I rushed the process (was pulling the motor at the same time) and tried doing a quick job outside. The wind jacked the way the paint went down and I got a bunch of dust and crap that fell on them. Usually this is an easy fix but when I went to re-spray a new coat after some light sanding, the plastic paint bubbles everywhere.

However after I was able to scrape and sand that layer of plastic paint off, the primer went on like cake, two coats and golden!

Good luck if your decide to take this on this weekend and let me know if you have any questions! I will be sure to follow up in a few days with pics of how mine finally turn out.
Old 06-02-2012 | 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

What kind of clamps are you using to hold them together while you re seal them?
Old 06-02-2012 | 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I might go ahead and try it. Gonna go pick up a rattle can today and come clamps along with that epoxy.

You planning to use gloss or satin black inside the lights?
Old 06-02-2012 | 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

I was planning on using satin black on the interior of the lights and gloss on the outside of the lens to do the gray border. Post some pictures of step by step if you have the time and patience. I'd like to see how to pull them apart, where you laid the epoxy, and what type of clamps you use on it.
Old 06-02-2012 | 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... I'm thinking satin black inside. I already have the outside edges painted gloss black. Trying to talk myself into doing it lol
Old 06-02-2012 | 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some photos, unfortunatley I didn't take any pics when I was taking it apart but I started from the inside (part hidden under the bumper cover) and with a long screw driver just starting working the edge and popping it out. It comes apart easy but the 2nd one I had to stick back in the oven for a few minutes because it wasn't quite there.

Be sure to handle the housing with a towel taking it out and when holding it down as it will be nice and warm. Also note that the light smoked a touch when I first put it in, it was just the wax I had on it but don't be alarmed if you get a little smoking when you first put it in the oven.

I'm also considering satin black, pick up both colors and gonna see what both look like.

I added a pic of the clamps to use, you can pick a grip of them up at Harbor Freight for really cheap.

Old 06-02-2012 | 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Do it! Just post up some results so I can decide after, I'd like to know how well they seal up and what it will look like! What did you paint the outside edge with, and I assume you took the lights out and taped off the lines?
Old 06-02-2012 | 03:28 PM
gnx
On The Tree

i would not go too dark as it might lower the light effect at night time./the halo look does make the cars look a little cheap/they have a good looking light to start with . good luck

Quick Reply: Painted my Headlights...not happy. How are yall painting them?