Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I getting into?

Hey Gents! Quick introduction; Im a gearhead just like almost all of us here. I currently drive a 2003 IS300 with a 2JZGTE motor swap, precision 6766 turbo, 880cc injectors, AEM engine management, etc. The has been a long time project and finally it is time to part ways.

Im about to get a new job (hopefully) and have been looking for the right car for me. I originally said I would have nothing to do with a performance oriented car again....right. Ive been looking at every car in my price range that would suit my needs. (AMGs, M5s, G8s, IS350)

I want a roomy 4 door with some pep. Thats really about it. The IS is so small no one ever wants to get in the back seat. I had looked into AMGs but I am worried they will turn into an electrical nightmare after a few months of owning it. Horror stories of the airmatic suspension going out causing thousands in repairs from the stealership. I have read the CTS-Vs are much more reliable and we all know how perfect the LS motor is.

Is the CTS-V the car I should be looking for? It seems like it hits all the boxes with decent amount of room (from the pictures), plenty of power for my needs, and the engine platform is one of the best. I hopefully will get to drive one tomorrow since a dealer close by has one for sale. Anything I should be looking/listening for?

Thanks!

Sean
Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At least for the V2.... If roomy with backseat space is what you want, the V isn't the car. The G8 although the same platform has much more room than the V.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Teching In

You can't go wrong with a V2 sedan. While it has a few quirks, it's the best Caddy built to date.

Which is why I'd like to sell you my V1 so I can buy one.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by VinATL
You can't go wrong with a V2 sedan. While it has a few quirks, it's the best Caddy built to date.

Which is why I'd like to sell you my V1 so I can buy one.
I am assuming the V2 is the newer body style? Any reason to not go with the V1 in particular?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Teching In

If you can afford the V2 (lets say around $40K for a used one), get it. Lots of refinements over the V1, plus being retarded fun.

The V1 is squeakier, a little rougher around the edges. If you drive it like a grownup, it'll last. Not as much power, not as smooth.

But, at around $20K, you can't beat a well cared for V1. Buy the latest year you can find, for no other reason than less wear on a newer rear end. The rear end is the achilles heel of the V1. Clutch dumps, drag strips -- designed for them, the V1 was not.

I think the back seat room is adequate compared to the competition. I put 3 other 6' adults in mine all the time, no complaints.

Originally Posted by SeanS
I am assuming the V2 is the newer body style? Any reason to not go with the V1 in particular?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

V2 is just an over all better car. The V1 is fun and a decent car to own, but its extremely fickle. It will never be as fast as you think it should be for mods that are done to the car. The V2 is way more refined and comfortable. The V1 isn't a ecobox by any means, but if you sit in a V1 and then V2, you will see the huge difference. Also, the V2 is a way better engineered platform then the V1. The Sigma 2 platform, what all second gen CTS are built on, was designed and engineered with the V series in mind. The V1 used the stand way of thinking from GM for the longest time. "How do we make this faster?" ... "Let's put a bigger engine in it." There was not much else of a thought process behind it. Which is why things tend to break and go wrong even under stock power.

I have owned my V1 for a little of 2 years now, and I enjoy the car. The sad part is, for the amount of money I have in the car I could have had a used Z06 or a V2. And those in stock form are faster the my bolt on V1. I do not regret buying the car, because it has been fun. And as soon as I changed things on it, I have had a lot of random issues with the car that have cost me close to $3,000 "break downs". It's just that there are plenty of better and faster cars out there.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on how much $$ you want to spend... In the $40k range you can buy yourself a v2 which will already be steps ahead of a v1... From the little I know they are smoother, more comfortable, and more expensive to mod. If you're not afraid to break ****, always look for an excuse to replace something, want a rough and raw ride, and pay less $$ then go for the v1... They can be made fast as well... Most people just don't want to spend the time or $$ to do so
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V1 all day.

For the price, there is nothing better. If you have $50k laying around, then get a V2...even though they might be more refined, they aren't near as sexy as the V1.

Plus the side mirrors on the V2 are atrocious. They look like they are upside down.

There I said it.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with everyones opinion except the last post. Sorry.
The V1 has more problems than it should. The interior seems very cramped for a mid sized car. With that said they are extremely fun to drive but I refuse to flog it for fear of breaking something.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I don't have 40-50k available for a car. The main purpose of the car I am looking for is a daily driver with a little "go." I've had my share of super fast cars maybe i will build another down the road. For now I want something I can drive down the toll road daily and have enough pep to make me smile merging.

I will not be doing any performance mods. The most that would be done is some nicer wheels and slight lowering.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Launching!

V2 all day or E39 / E60 M5.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like the V1 is a perfect car for your intentions.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean S....where are you located?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will not be doing any performance mods. The most that would be done is some nicer wheels and slight lowering.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the v2 is a much better design.. interior,powerplat/drivetrain...but i like the lines and body styling of the v1. to me its a much classier look than the new one... for godsakes the one thing that kills the v2 for me are those damn fender vents..lol
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
the v2 is a much better design.. interior,powerplat/drivetrain...but i like the lines and body styling of the v1. to me its a much classier look than the new one... for godsakes the one thing that kills the v2 for me are those damn fender vents..lol
And that giant emblem on the front grille!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DMM
Sean S....where are you located?
I live in Orlando FL now but I used to be in Maryland.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Dont judge me.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont judge me.
Says the man with the turbo'd 2JZ lexus....
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Says the man with the turbo'd 2JZ lexus....
touche'.... In reality I would like to build a track car down the road that I could build, break, beat on, etc. But doing it with one of your daily drivers just doesn't work out.

Quick Reply: What am I getting into?