Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

Long story short I picked up an 04 V from a buddy of mine on a steal, just got a fresh ls6 with a 228r put in, at first the car did not have any power, found a blown ignition fuse and power to the car was back on.

The car still did not turn over, took a look at the starter, the starter was good, brand new and tested out fine. The car will start with a push start and run/drive fine. But cannot turn it over with the key itself, figured it may be a bad ignition switch replaced it today and still won't turn over. In looking around today i found a 5 pin connector on the side of the steering column that is not plugged into anything and an open hole where it looks like something to be mounted. I can't find anything as to what should be there any ideas? or any other common issues people have come across in ignition?

Any help or input would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a major problem with getting my car started a while back, had power but wouldn't crank. I replaced the ignition switch, relays and checked fuses like 10 times. Finally I traced it to a loose connector behind the passenger side dash which was the connector that ran one of the the 2 ignition wires (both must have power to crank) from the fuse box on the passenger rear fuse panel. The connector has a big white plug, make sure it's seated all the way, you can access it from the side access panel of the dash.

If that's not it, here are the wiring digrams for the ignition switch and starting system. Have you tested to ensure you are getting full power at the starter?

Starting

Ignition Switch one

Ignition Switch two

Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

probably wouldn't be a bad idea to post a picture of the connector.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What does the connector at the starter look like? Common for those to cook and have issues.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
What does the connector at the starter look like? Common for those to cook and have issues.
Yeah I would check that as well, mine was toasted requiring a solder directly to the pins on the starter.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Is your security light on?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a problem with the plastic connector on the starter. the wetherproof connector crumbled from the heat and caused the same issue..starter wouldnt kick but the car ran fine if popped.thats more than likely ur culprit
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone ever heard of a DVM or how to use one?

Even a 12 volt light bulb with a couple of wires attached would tell ya a lot.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

The connector i'm referring to is just left of the steering wheel and I attached it.

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i had a problem with the plastic connector on the starter. the wetherproof connector crumbled from the heat and caused the same issue..starter wouldnt kick but the car ran fine if popped.thats more than likely ur culprit
I'll check that, the wiring was just redone on that because the piece did crumble. What ends did you put on it to get it to seat properly??
Attached Thumbnails Car won't start-img_5891.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought the pigtail from the dealer..cant remember the part number but its the single wire weatherpack connector that goes to the starter. its the signal wire for the starter to engage. ill try to find a pic of what im talking about.

if u get under the car and look at the starter youll see what im talking about..either the connector is junk or the wire is shorted somewhere right in there..its a common problem
Old 07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
i bought the pigtail from the dealer..cant remember the part number but its the single wire weatherpack connector that goes to the starter. its the signal wire for the starter to engage. ill try to find a pic of what im talking about.

if u get under the car and look at the starter youll see what im talking about..either the connector is junk or the wire is shorted somewhere right in there..its a common problem
would be awesome to get a pic or part number but i'll call the deal now, i appreciate it
Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

here u go my friend...let me know how u make out
Attached Thumbnails Car won't start-img_0666.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nova82189
The connector i'm referring to is just left of the steering wheel and I attached it.

I'll check that, the wiring was just redone on that because the piece did crumble. What ends did you put on it to get it to seat properly??
That wiring harness. Check above the OBD2 port. There is a black box. I was looking under my dash and that maybe it.
Attached Thumbnails Car won't start-wp_001067.jpg  

Quick Reply: Car won't start