Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Finally got headers on!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sarcasm?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it's a real pain on all newer gm 's performance cars really tight in there but as long as you know the tricks your good
Old 07-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
sarcasm?
Yea maybe but take it to a shop and your looking 850$ plus . I think offering 300$ to put on headers for a v is a dam good price and if anyone on here says it's to high I think you local shop has a special going on 800$ plus you get some broken bolts in the block and a few rattles and a few broken plugs causing your car to mis fire out the ***
Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Dude, PLEASE take a video of the sound of the headers with stock catback. There's almost nothing like that around. You'd really be adding something unique.

To my knowledge, and I've looked a TON, there's only one other video of that kind of setup.
I assume you're talking about third video that I threw on Youtube a while back, right? By the way, I noticed that my description of #2 was wrong and corrected it. In that one, my car has the catless connectors that come with the standard OBX 1-7/8" header package.

The problem with stainless steel headers is that they let a lot of high-frequency engine noise out that the OEM cast iron manifold doesn't. Doing a header swap alone basically increases "bad sound" only. Once you get an aftermarket catback, most of that sound will be drowned out, but if you stand in front of the car, you'll still hear it.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I was referring to that clip of yours. BudRacing just put up a video of headers with stock catback, and it sounds pretty badass to my ear. Sounds a little throatier. I guess I will see for myself what it's like in real life soon enough.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I was referring to that clip of yours. BudRacing just put up a video of headers with stock catback, and it sounds pretty badass to my ear. Sounds a little throatier. I guess I will see for myself what it's like in real life soon enough.
Different camera, different microphone, slightly different sound.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The problem with stainless steel headers is that they let a lot of high-frequency engine noise out that the OEM cast iron manifold doesn't. Doing a header swap alone basically increases "bad sound" only. Once you get an aftermarket catback, most of that sound will be drowned out, but if you stand in front of the car, you'll still hear it.
Wrapping them helps slightly, but I still hear a bit of what you're talking about. I would imagine that if the stock resonator was still there it would take care of the higher frequency noises.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsurfer
Yea maybe but take it to a shop and your looking 850$ plus . I think offering 300$ to put on headers for a v is a dam good price and if anyone on here says it's to high I think you local shop has a special going on 800$ plus you get some broken bolts in the block and a few rattles and a few broken plugs causing your car to mis fire out the ***
there's no bolts in the block for the headers, and tightening spark plugs takes about the same amount of time as not tightening them.

if someone asked me to help them put headers on their V, i'd likely do it for free.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Wrapping them helps slightly, but I still hear a bit of what you're talking about. I would imagine that if the stock resonator was still there it would take care of the higher frequency noises.
Wrapping them shouldn't help at all. You need sheer mass to deaden airborne noise.

Having catalytic converters takes care of most of the junk coming out the back end (both chemically and aurally--I just realized).

Originally Posted by RADEoN
if someone asked me to help them put headers on their V, i'd likely do it for free.
I'd help anyone on this forum with anything, to be honest. It'd be nice to sit down and shoot the sh*t with someone else and get some perspective on all of the work that I've been doing. I've only seen two other CTS-V's around here. One was just in passing, and the other one is owned by a guy that works at the same company I do. His V is a travesty--it's missing body panels and looks like crap.

I think the one thing that other V owners would likely comment on is how quiet the interior of my CTS-V is, given the fact that you can barely breathe standing behind the car. I've been hunting squeaks and rattles seemingly forever, and spent 12-16 hours (and $600) applying an actual soundproofing treatment (damper + MLV) where it counts. Unfortunately, that treatment weighs about 45 lbs, all told.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 07-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd help anyone on this forum with anything, to be honest. I've only seen two other CTS-V's around here. One was just in passing, and the other one is owned by a guy that works at the same company I do. His V is a travesty--it's missing body panels and looks like crap.
I would too, for the most part. There's a few ********* I'd leave hanging, but by and large, if anyone needed help with anything, and I had the time, I'd absolutely do everything I could to get them moving.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

there's no bolts in the block for the headers, and tightening spark plugs takes about the same amount of time as not tightening them.

The headers are held in by bolts .. To the head sorry for to mis type and if your not careful u can crack a plug so it has nothing to do with how tight they are. And that price is for me to put them on at my shop .. If you want help I can do what I can but it costs money for lift time and electric and I don't own the shop it's my buddy's personal shop for his toys
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The headers are held in by bolts .. To the head sorry for to mis type and if your not careful u can crack a plug so it has nothing to do with how tight they are. And that price is for me to put them on at my shop .. If you want help I can do what I can but it costs money for lift time and electric and I don't own the shop it's my buddy's personal shop for his toys
yeah i actually shattered the ceramic going around the plug and ruined one when I hung my headers.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I would too, for the most part. There's a few ********* I'd leave hanging, but by and large, if anyone needed help with anything, and I had the time, I'd absolutely do everything I could to get them moving.
Yeah, but the part that bugs me about that one guy is that he doesn't give a crap. The first generation CTS-V was a great first effort by Cadillac, and if treated right, can be both flashy and an intimidating performer.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, but the part that bugs me about that one guy is that he doesn't give a crap. The first generation CTS-V was a great first effort by Cadillac, and if treated right, can be both flashy and an intimidating performer.
I'm talking about 98cobra. I'd absolutely help the person you're referring to
Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do you run at op? Wouldn't mind seeing a v1 pull some sub 2.0 60's.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Where do you run at op? Wouldn't mind seeing a v1 pull some sub 2.0 60's.
Cecil co drag way I gotta get re tuned for the headers then I'll be there lol I wouldn't mind seeing what that cobra runs either! Maybe next wednsday or something not this week but the next week.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Slightly off topic, but is there anyone within a few hours from Goshen KY that would like to help a college student on a budget with a header install? Some of you guys sound generous, and id like to have my hands on the install, but dont have a lift yet, nor the tools. I have a guy here that can install them and wish I could take it to him, but like I said, Im a college student for the next 6 months. Need to prep the car for a cam!

Last edited by ObfuscatedV; 07-25-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your here in Md... Don't see to many V's up that way. I use to live in Germantown off 270. Now out in the country in Clinton...lol. I have a farm up the street from my house...lol

Cecil co drag way I gotta get re tuned for the headers then I'll be there lol I wouldn't mind seeing what that cobra runs either! Maybe next wednsday or something not this week but the next week.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Wrapping them shouldn't help at all. You need sheer mass to deaden airborne noise.

Having catalytic converters takes care of most of the junk coming out the back end (both chemically and aurally--I just realized).

I'd help anyone on this forum with anything, to be honest. It'd be nice to sit down and shoot the sh*t with someone else and get some perspective on all of the work that I've been doing. I've only seen two other CTS-V's around here. One was just in passing, and the other one is owned by a guy that works at the same company I do. His V is a travesty--it's missing body panels and looks like crap.

I think the one thing that other V owners would likely comment on is how quiet the interior of my CTS-V is, given the fact that you can barely breathe standing behind the car. I've been hunting squeaks and rattles seemingly forever, and spent 12-16 hours (and $600) applying an actual soundproofing treatment (damper + MLV) where it counts. Unfortunately, that treatment weighs about 45 lbs, all told.
Do you helpful guys know any other helpful guys near KY? Lol!!! But no, thats a serious question lol. Id ask you all for help but PA and CT would be a haul from the bluegrass state!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, PLEASE take a video of the sound of the headers with stock catback. There's almost nothing like that around. You'd really be adding something unique.

To my knowledge, and I've looked a TON, there's only one other video of that kind of setup.
i have seen.. kooks/w cats stock cat back...in person at the Big NJ cadi meet we had in 09.. it is not that impressing imo.. sounds better then stock but not a huge difference most wouldn't even notice you had anything modified imo

Quick Reply: Finally got headers on!!!!