Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HID Headlights D1S

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through 4 or 5 D1S ballasts from DDM Tuning, and they were all pretty bad because they'd fail within a few days. I finally got 1 that seems to be holding, but next time, I'm getting this one from Diode Dynamics, which is supposedly better.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/c.../category/757/
Old 02-23-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my dumb question...Can you run a Brighter Bulb with the stock housings and ballasts? If so. can someone provide the info on this. Cant seem to find a straight answer.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fursonlegs
I went through 4 or 5 D1S ballasts from DDM Tuning, and they were all pretty bad because they'd fail within a few days. I finally got 1 that seems to be holding, but next time, I'm getting this one from Diode Dynamics, which is supposedly better.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/c.../category/757/
that's what i'm running right now. so far so good, but it's only been on the car for a couple weeks now.

Originally Posted by 94Aquaformula
So my dumb question...Can you run a Brighter Bulb with the stock housings and ballasts? If so. can someone provide the info on this. Cant seem to find a straight answer.
define "brighter".

if you mean a 55W bulb on the 35W ballast, no. it won't work well at all. the stock bulbs are 4300K, which is the most usable light from any of the color/heat ranges. i'm currently running a 6000K bulb set because i wanted the low beams to match the LEDs that i'm running all over the car. they're still pretty bright, but i'd never go any higher than 6000K because then it's just wasted light and a stupid, rice looking color.

they also don't use 55W systems in vehicles for a reason. life span is shorter, they're excessively bright, etc.

Quick Reply: HID Headlights D1S