Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replacing radiator- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacing radiator- HELP

Gentlemen,

I'm in process of replacing the radiator. Currently, I'm removing the plastic retainers that connect the rubber side seal to both the radiator and the inside of the car. I didn't expect this as it wasn't in the instructions I read online. What a PITA!

My main question is, should I put the new side seal back in? Is it really necessary? Does it direct air to the radiator or something? I didn't see any mention of side seals in the alradco writeups, or any other writeup for that matter. Here are pics. First one is the stock replacement, second pic is a view of the side seal from inside the car.

Replacing radiator- HELP-knzxu.jpg

Replacing radiator- HELP-4meft.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by DACTARI; 08-12-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's weird, when I pulled my radiator out, I saw nothing like that attached to it... It was fastened in the car.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had those on there when I replaced it. I just took the new pieces off and reused the old ones. They're for ducting air to the rad and sealing off the sides. I'd install them before the rad then clip them to the sides once the rad is in though if you do it.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RADEoN you should have those on the car, they duct the air as Larimer mentioned. A HUGE PITA to reinstall while the radiator is installed, I would highly recommend installing it while the rad is out of the car. I don't know if they are effective or not, but since GM put the time to add them I reinstalled them as well.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You must be a very patient man. On the advice of darkman on the caddyforum, I left it all out.

Quick Reply: Replacing radiator- HELP