Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone experience a clunk with their CS 8.8 kit??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Nice shady! I rolled out on a pulley, intake, exhaust 03 cobra the other night on the freeway. Only got him by two lengths or so but his blower was whining its *** off in my passenger window as I was pulling away. Lol it was a white vert with a black top. Turns out after we ran, I was telling my other buddy about it and he knew who the guy was and what was done to his car. I was on motor... Didn't even have the bottle in the car. We went from about a 30-35 roll.

Anyway, as far as carriers go, is there another carrier that's just as strong with less slop? Just wondering if I should be looking into a carrier swap if these things don't like holding up to drag racing. Mines holding strong as of now though. Just has that little bit of annoying slop in it
hahaha niiiiiccccceee..i love cobras,. my buddy in nj has a 03 cobra with a smaller pulley and 4.10 gear... bitch is insane!!! i can keep up in 2nd gear for a little but get ran on after that

imo beat the **** out the carrier that you have.. the stock trac lock is perfect for what it is.. if the tru trac goes in 25k rebuild it for 250-300$ and your good to go.. cant do that with the stock getcrap
Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too man! Was eye ballin it before he even pulled up to play. Lol I miss my 03 everyday. I love the V but that blower whine was so refreshing! Haha they run STRONG with just a few mods.

That's a good point bro. I think I'll do just that! Lol
Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice shady! I rolled out on a pulley, intake, exhaust 03 cobra the other night on the freeway. Only got him by two lengths or so but his blower was whining its *** off in my passenger window as I was pulling away. Lol it was a white vert with a black top. Turns out after we ran, I was telling my other buddy about it and he knew who the guy was and what was done to his car. I was on motor... Didn't even have the bottle in the car. We went from about a 30-35 roll.

Anyway, as far as carriers go, is there another carrier that's just as strong with less slop? Just wondering if I should be looking into a carrier swap if these things don't like holding up to drag racing. Mines holding strong as of now though. Just has that little bit of annoying slop in it
Nice! There was a local guy that had some year cobra, but I think he was stock. I used to beat his all the time in my 92 B4C. Anytime he saw me, he would chase me down and want to run. He hated me.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
if the tru trac goes in 25k rebuild it for 250-300$ and your good to go.. cant do that with the stock getcrap
Can I repair the Truetrac if I need to?
The worm gears inside a Trutrac are maintenance free, and do not require regular service. Internal failure usually results in the damage of the worm gear pockets. Therefore, they are not rebuildable.

^^^^^Copied from the FAQ of Eaton's website^^^^^
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Veteran

54... That's funny. Lol I had a similar situation. I used to regularly see this black camaro SS on my way into work almost every morning. We were always both going the same direction at the same time. We'd do the same thing. Nothing better than a good morning run to start the day.

Cole... I hope it's repairable. I'll look into what I'll need to spend on a new one though if this one can't be fixed. Not that I'll be breaking it soon or anything but it's good info to know.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

I spent alot of time on the phone with Strange Engineering (who sold me the diff) and Eaton. From what it sounds like, the play in the worm gears is the nature of the beast, which is why they are better suited for an automatic car. I doubt you have anything wrong with yours.

If you can live with it then run it until something happens to it, just know that the shock the worm gears are experiencing almost every shift is not friendly to them, especially at your power levels and curb weight. Another thing to take into consideration is that if indeed it does let go (not saying it will), you could potentially destroy your ring and pinion, bearings etc...

I for one cannot live with it, the constant clunking.. it drives me nuts because it feels like the stock rear did and, weather i like to or not im adjusting how I drive my car in order to avoid it.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... Nothing is wrong as of now. Just sounds like some usual slop as expected. Let me know what you decide to do and what carrier you go with. If its strong and doesn't clunk or have any of this slop in it, I may consider switching. I mean I may never have an issue with this current carrier but if I can get a replacement for a decent price that will get rid of that slop and sell mine, i may go that route.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyway, as far as carriers go, is there another carrier that's just as strong with less slop?
The OEM Ford Cobra Trac-Loc. It is the same unit that comes standard in the 2013 Gt500 with it's insane HP and torque output. Too much ring gear backlash and a loss of pinion preload will also cause the clunk. However, in your case my money is on the True trac.

The video below shows the slack experienced with a Wavetrac which is the same design issue with the True Trac.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for posting that vid! That is exactly what the problem is. Makes me feel better than everything else is tight though. Its just annoying to feel it between shifts at times...
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for posting that vid! That is exactly what the problem is. Makes me feel better than everything else is tight though. Its just annoying to feel it between shifts at times...
You can tune having to "drive " around the clunk out. There are plenty of throttle airflow tables that can be increased to get rid of that
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

How would the tuning change having to clutch for every gear? When the clutch is engaged, the pressure will be released and when it's disengaged, it'll clunk. I don't see any way around that...

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 09-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

tune the clunk out?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure it's annoying. I've read some Cobra folks have had success with Redline shock proof. Apparently it does quieten the true trac some.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Do u still need to put that friction modifier stuff in with the gear oil?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do u still need to put that friction modifier stuff in with the gear oil?
No. The True trac and other gear type differentials do not require friction modifier.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you adjust the rate that the throttle body adds air as you apply throttle, you can "soften" the transition. Just like when you are in a gear, let go of the throttle in gear fast. Some cars will instantly decel, some will gradually decel. Its all in the airflow tables.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh I see. Well that make sense. I would think that might work on an auto car that stays constantly engaged but on a manual car, when u clutch it, it's not going to matter where the tb air table is. The driveline will lose tension when I shift and let the clutch back out, it will clunk.

Quick Reply: Anyone experience a clunk with their CS 8.8 kit??