Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Gentlemen, I'm writing to see if you guys have any ideas or have experienced anything similar. I installed a Lingenfelter CAI, which as you know is just and airbox and filter, but there was so little room in the airbox after the installation, that I had to basically crush the filter to get it in there. Also, it would not fit horizontally, Pic below:

I got on the phone with Lingenfelter, and they sent me a new airbox and filter. They were great, actually, no complaints about their customer service. This one fit slightly better, allowing me to position the filter horizontally, but essentially had the same problem. I didn't even try to put the new filter in because I'd have to crush it, too. There is simply no room.

The edge of the airbox is right up against the radiator, can't move any further. I'm almost certain I followed the instructions to a T and installed the brackets in all the right places, and plugged/screwed everything in to the right place.Any ideas as to what could be going on? Lingenfelter says they're stumped, but they'll take the CAI back.

PS-- Yes, I know my engine bay is dirty-- I had a coolant leak and for various other reasons it looks like crap. Gonna clean it up nicely this weekend.

Something does not look correct where your air filter is mounted to the tube. If you look at the other pictures on other vehicles their filter is mounted flush to the air box. For some reason yours appears to be sitting roughly 1" away from the box. You may have the MAF or mounting flange installed incorrectly. I am not 100% sure what is causing it, but the filter mounting location appears to be the issue.

Ryan
Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
My filter is 7.5" long. This does not include the round inlet flange

Thats the same exact one i have and it fit's perfect
Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anything interfere when you put it all together except for the MAF?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Plastic removal

If you are referring to the piece of plastic that is up against the side of the airbox area near the fender, you should not have to remove that part. It can be seen still attached to the vehicle in the installation picture at the bottom of page 6 of the installation instructions.

I have attached that image to this post.

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
Did you remove the outer plastic baffle from the stock airbox.. that would def effect the clearance.. ill try and find a pic
Attached Thumbnails Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-air-filter-mounting.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Filter clocking

Sorry to see that you are having fitment problems with the air intake. I am not aware of other customers having this problem before.

The only thing I can see that looks different from our installation images and from the images of the several systems in this thread is that the air filter is clocked with the longer sides close to vertical while the installed images in this thread and in our instructions have the filter angled such that the long side of the filter is closer to horizontal/slightly angled up from horizontal.

Here are some of the images from this thread that show that angle:

Attached are a couple more images from our instructions showing that angle.

Gentlemen, I'm writing to see if you guys have any ideas or have experienced anything similar. I installed a Lingenfelter CAI, which as you know is just and airbox and filter, but there was so little room in the airbox after the installation, that I had to basically crush the filter to get it in there. Also, it would not fit horizontally, Pic below:

I got on the phone with Lingenfelter, and they sent me a new airbox and filter. They were great, actually, no complaints about their customer service. This one fit slightly better, allowing me to position the filter horizontally, but essentially had the same problem. I didn't even try to put the new filter in because I'd have to crush it, too. There is simply no room.

The edge of the airbox is right up against the radiator, can't move any further. I'm almost certain I followed the instructions to a T and installed the brackets in all the right places, and plugged/screwed everything in to the right place.Any ideas as to what could be going on? Lingenfelter says they're stumped, but they'll take the CAI back.

PS-- Yes, I know my engine bay is dirty-- I had a coolant leak and for various other reasons it looks like crap. Gonna clean it up nicely this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-dscn5635.jpg   Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-dscn5636.jpg   Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-dscn5637.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Image clarification

Could you take some more pictures of the air box area showing the air filter and air wall around it, especially with the plastic radiator cover removed?

Looking at your picture again I see something in the picture that I can't recognize and doesn't appear to be in any of the other images in our files or on this forum.

I put a red arrow into your image to show the feature I am talking about. It looks a bit like sound deadening or some type of green material?
Attached Thumbnails Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-labeled.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Jason and Ryan from LPE. I am out of town for the weekend, but will take measurement and post pics when I get back to my car.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had the Lingenfelter CAI, mine was like the oval-ish one everyone is posting pics of. Looks like they changed filters since then.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Filter

The filter on these systems has not changed (same dimensions, same supplier etc.).

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
When I had the Lingenfelter CAI, mine was like the oval-ish one everyone is posting pics of. Looks like they changed filters since then.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Confirm the filter is the same. I had to orient it that way to make it fit. Will go out and take some measurements soon.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, glad it's the same. I don't remember having to clock mine weird to make it fit.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
Could you take some more pictures of the air box area showing the air filter and air wall around it, especially with the plastic radiator cover removed?

Looking at your picture again I see something in the picture that I can't recognize and doesn't appear to be in any of the other images in our files or on this forum.

I put a red arrow into your image to show the feature I am talking about. It looks a bit like sound deadening or some type of green material?
Hi Jason,

Firstly, the filter was oriented that way because it was the only way I could get it to fit in the airbox, and even then, as I mentioned, I had to crush the filter slightly to make it fit. Currently, after LPE sent me a replacement airbox on the hunch that perhaps the original one was defective, I can now orientate the filter the way it was intended, though it is still too tight to fit an uncrushed filter. I therefore elected to re-install the crushed filter. I simply didn't want to ruin another good filter.

The arrows in your picture are pointing to some rubber material that was there on the other side of the air box. It was sitting under the stock airbox, and covers some wiring. I elected to leave it there because I assume it redirects water that runs down the hood gutters away from the wiring and onto the ground. At any rate, it only measures about the thickness of a few pieces of paper and doesn't touch the filter in any way. Here's a closer picture of that rubber:

Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-cyosfl.jpg

And here are pics showing the airbox from above as it is currently. I can reassure Ryan from LPE that there is not extra material protruding from the MAF assembly into the airbox. I believe that was an optical illusion caused by light reflecting off the bulge of the hole made for the MAF:

Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-elhmwl.jpg

Lastly, here is a picture of where the filter bumps into the side of the bay. You can see clearly that, though crushed, it's still making contact in one corner:

Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-uqscpl.jpg

I also measured the filter and found it to be about 7.5 inches, the same as the unused replacement filter.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe your car was in a front end collision?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

No way. Nothing on the carfax. Driveline is perfect, car tracks perfect, underside looks clean, very few dings, etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO you need to remove the black plastic divider i mentioned earlier .. look at the difference from my clearance to yours. from this angle, the only spot your rubbing on is the divider.

Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V-uqscpl.jpg
Old 08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

The LPE guys say it's supposed to stay in there. I don't want to rip any more stuff out of there in case I have to re-install the factory airbox.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then I think your only other option here is to get a smaller filter. It looks like removing that piece is required.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The LPE guys say it's supposed to stay in there. I don't want to rip any more stuff out of there in case I have to re-install the factory airbox.
I have that plastic divider and my filter fits fine. When I get home from work I'll snap a picture and post it.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is the hardest cai build ever lol
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As you can see (picture below), I'm not having fitment issues with the plastic divider left undisturbed and the S&B filter provided with the Lingenfelter kit. Granted, you have to turn it a little bit to get it to fit, but it's not even remotely difficult to do. Here's the URL for the filter:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V