Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Just be glad it is not a Volant!
2. OP, yours is clocked differently than everyone elses, from what the pictures show.
3. I agree that it looks like your front end looks tweaked from an accident.
a. Carfax does not mean **** if the person that wrecked the car did not have it fixed by insurance or a body shop that reports.
b. There are body men out there than can make an accident go away to the untrained eye.
4. Do you think you can get some measurements inside the box to see if the box is indeed tweaked.
5. Have you replaced your motor mounts?
6. Just be glad it is not a Volant!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised so many people run the lingenfelter intake. Not trying to knock it if there is an advantage to it that i dont know about but it looks like a slightly bigger/better but very similar barrier and filter combo than the K&N and doesn't even include an intake tube (unless they now include one with it). Someone please tell me why this intake seems to be so popular.

Like I said, not trying to ruffle feathers... I just don't get it. I went from my K&N FIPK to the Volant for the fact that it's a sealed intake box keeping the filter concealed from the engine bay heat. That to me makes sense as an upgrade over this style intake.

And 54... Why the hate on Volant? No issues here with mine.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Volant fitment is ****! Not to be confused with THE ****!

I bought one for another vehicle and it is shitty.

I won one for the V and it sux. The lid does not seal and I had to add weatherstripping. The holes do not line up. On and On and On......
Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Sounds like u got a defective Volant. Mine fits and bolted up nicely. No issues at all. But I like your descriptive response. Lol
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Mine was probably totaled in the front end. lol
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Hahaha
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Lingenfelter airbox seals really well. The Volant airbox reputedly heatsoaks like nuts. Another problem is that the best tube that you can drop into our cars is the Volant tube, which only measures about 2.75" ID. Don Kinder (owner, Slowhawk Performance) thinks I'm leaving significant meat on the table with the Volant tube and recommended that I source some larger piping ASAP.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

I am thinking a bag over the throttle body is probably better than the Volant.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The Lingenfelter airbox seals really well. The Volant airbox reputedly heatsoaks like nuts. Another problem is that the best tube that you can drop into our cars is the Volant tube, which only measures about 2.75" ID. Don Kinder (owner, Slowhawk Performance) thinks I'm leaving significant meat on the table with the Volant tube and recommended that I source some larger piping ASAP.
With larger piping, isn't your MAF going to be a bottleneck?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol @ 54!

With the LS6 TB being just 78mm stock... Even ported, i would think the Volant is plenty. Maybe u LS2 guys running the 90mm setup stock are closer to being maxed out with the volant tube but i doubt it. If that really is an issue, i may look into a custom intake tube setup similar to the JLT intake i had on my 03 cobra when I go 92/92 but for now, I don't think the Volant is hindering me in any way. I believe the stock mass air is 85mm correct?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DACTARI
With larger piping, isn't your MAF going to be a bottleneck?
Probably. The MAF is 90mm, which is 3.54". I'll have to decide between 3.5" piping and 4" piping with reducers for my application.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FuzzyLog1c, did you check the other dimensions that I posted? Take a pic with the filter out so we can see what it is hitting on
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but back in Post #16 (see picture below), ShadyLS6 identified that he removed the outer baffle from the original airbox to give himself more clearance. I was thinking about doing the same thing and putting a significantly larger filter in there to match my new 4" intake tubing.

Anyone have advice on that baffle removal process, or should I just wing it?

Also, does anyone know where to pick up new rubber gasket material? I was thinking about putting something beefier in there to try to achieve an even better seal.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but back in Post #16 (see picture below), ShadyLS6 identified that he removed the outer baffle from the original airbox to give himself more clearance. I was thinking about doing the same thing and putting a significantly larger filter in there to match my new 4" intake tubing.

Anyone have advice on that baffle removal process, or should I just wing it?

Also, does anyone know where to pick up new rubber gasket material? I was thinking about putting something beefier in there to try to achieve an even better seal.
you can wing it, its held in with double sided tape if i remember correctly. I thought everyone removed it,

next step with a setup like this is to redirect the Driverside brake duct up into the CAI chamber the LPE creates. I have a solid dent in the hood insulation from the outline of the LPE plastic. so it would deff add more clean air.

i got the rubber gasket pictured above from homedepot back in 08. i think it was originally window weather stripping.

descreen your maf before the tune? i did it right before i got a street tune, no more Maf bottle neck tuner. IMO is overkill without intake and heads but its possible i think CTSVoodo on cadi fourms did a thread while back
Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

There is no screen on more recent Gen III (LS6) and all Gen IV (LS2 and later) MAFs. I would never redirect brake airflow to the filter. The brake cooling ducts are there for a reason, and the benefit you'll get out of doing that is minimal. I'd rather concentrate on ensuring that I'm not sucking hot air out of the engine bay.

Thanks for the feedback--especially the part about the adhesive. I'm wary of yanking on something if it's stuck and I don't know why. The last thing I want to do us yank out a bolt or rivet and damage something else.

I'm also working with GT|Motion on the Cadillac Forums to figure out how to better insulate the bucket.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

I've been thinking that if a vendor could make an aftermarket radiator that allowed the clearance to run a straight intake tube to the grill, they would make some good coin. Maybe someone could talk to the alradco guy.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would never redirect brake airflow to the filter. The brake cooling ducts are there for a reason, and the benefit you'll get out of doing that is minimal.
unless the brake ducts are connected to extensions with z06 spindle duct holders. They do nothing. that's why the front calipers will still turn yellow from 1 hard track day in a V1's stock form

maybe i wasn't clear about what i was talking about.. JCC type of setup looks like it would lower IAT in general. IMO the more fresh air inlets for the CAI the better.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...well-pics.html
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been thinking that if a vendor could make an aftermarket radiator that allowed the clearance to run a straight intake tube to the grill, they would make some good coin. Maybe someone could talk to the alradco guy.
you could always do alittle hacking, this was JonCR's setup.. then he got banned so dont know the long term on it

Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

I thought I would report back for the sake of completeness, because i hate unresolved threads. I finally got around to removing the plastic baffle against the body of the car, and now the filter fits perfectly in the horizontal position, with about a half inch of wiggle room. My guess is this will be necessary on all the 06-07 cars.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I would report back for the sake of completeness, because i hate unresolved threads. I finally got around to removing the plastic baffle against the body of the car, and now the filter fits perfectly in the horizontal position, with about a half inch of wiggle room. My guess is this will be necessary on all the 06-07 cars.
Any pics of said removed part?

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter CAI poor fit on 06 V