Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I want to convert to E85

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeonRon
Pretty much every gas station in the area of Metro Detroit where I live has E85. I didn't know it was a higher octane fuel. I used to use it on a Dakota flex fuel magnum V8 I had a while back. I never noticed a performance difference, only that the tank emptied sooner.
Its no different than if you ran 105 octane fuel, you have to adjust your timing tables to make use of the extra ability the fuel might allow you.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I should look into it. It's super easy to get around here and it's always twenty to thirty cents cheaper than the lowest octane gas the station sells. I paid 4.10 today for 93 octane and E85 was at 3.65.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It burns 30% faster so unless its 30% cheaper you have to decide if the extra power is worth it
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Staging Lane

It's not 30% cheaper, so unless the power increase is pretty noticeable, it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. Can the crossover be done with tuning alone, or will parts need to be altered and replaced? Because I have a good friend that does my tuning for next to nothing but if I start adding his "real labor" to a project it becomes a different ball game.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gabe-v
Let me make this disclaimer. I have no practical experience in this and I may be stating the obvious. If so please ignore me.

But just from a basic swap i.e. not for performance benefits just from being able to safely run E85. Aren't there o-rings (within the fuel system/lines) that are supposed to be replaced b/c E85 is more caustic than regular petro? Possibly the stock V already has these synthetic 0-rings/materials. Also for a previous project I was working on my research turned something up about having the tank coated, again to protect against the more caustic fuel, but this was for a 40 year old Datsun tank so maybe this is not an issue for the V ???
Today's gasoline has up to 10% ethanol in it already, so most modern fuel systems are capable of running E85.

Quick Reply: I want to convert to E85