Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Slave or Master LOL Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slave or Master LOL Need help

Well, as if timing isn't always everything.

Clutch pedal sticks to the flood, I have to pull it up with my foot.
Also, clutch engagement is right off the floor, where before it was about 3/4 off the floor.

I'm thinking it's either the clutch master, or the slave cylinder.

Slave was replaced when I did the clutch about 15k miles ago

Thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope you have a remote bleeder.

I would bleed the **** out of it first.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try bleeding it. Its the easiest thing to do before replacing parts.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a bad pressure plate that did that also.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not have a remote bleeder, and right now don't have access to a lift. Kind of sucks
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by z28C4maro82z
I do not have a remote bleeder, and right now don't have access to a lift. Kind of sucks
Welcome to Mod Hell.

You should have added one anyway when you did the clutch job.

Murphy's Law.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I hate cars. But I love this one....You gotta pay to play. I'm just trying to see what everyone thinks it is. I just don't want to bring it to a dealership because I know it'll be 800 in labor. I can get the slave or the clutch master for 100/e roughly...I just don't want to pay an exorbitant amount in labor.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I agree bleeding it would be the first thing to try
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Does it only fall after a launch or getting on it hard? If so start turkey basting the reservoir and fill with new fluid and then pump about 50 times on the clutch pedal. Do that a bunch of times till the fluid is just clear. Hopefully that solves your problem. Also what clutch fluid are you using? Do not use silicone based fluid. Get a nice DOT4 fluid and have at it.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

No unfortunately my issue is constant, and not just only when launching or beating on it
Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

I have yet to see a bad master on these cars. My vote goes to a failed slave. I ha more than my fair share of them while I had my car.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Does it only fall after a launch or getting on it hard? If so start turkey basting the reservoir and fill with new fluid and then pump about 50 times on the clutch pedal. Do that a bunch of times till the fluid is just clear. Hopefully that solves your problem. Also what clutch fluid are you using? Do not use silicone based fluid. Get a nice DOT4 fluid and have at it.
Seriously try this if you haven't already...it's cheap/quick. It will cost you a bottle of fluid and about 15 minutes of your time.

My car had very similar symptoms and this fixed it. My issues were intermittent the first few times I need to do this. About a month ago it completely gave out just like you described and it appears I have a small leak AND dirty fluid.

The fluid level apparently dropped to a certain point resulting in no pedal pressure on top of the sporadic engagement....I couldn't hardly drive the car. I then did this method again and made sure the fluid reservoir was full and it fixed it right up -- I figure I'll search for/fix whatever leak when the clutch comes out of the car for replacement. Right now I have to check the fluid level every few months, tops so it's essentially a non-issue.

Also, if you're in a real bind a roll of super absorbent paper towels works just as well as the turkey baster...just wad one up, let it soak up a bunch of the old fluid then re-fill. If you're fluid level is low you probably have a small leak and it's the culprit.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spin2nd
Seriously try this if you haven't already...it's cheap/quick. It will cost you a bottle of fluid and about 15 minutes of your time.

My car had very similar symptoms and this fixed it. My issues were intermittent the first few times I need to do this. About a month ago it completely gave out just like you described and it appears I have a small leak AND dirty fluid.

The fluid level apparently dropped to a certain point resulting in no pedal pressure on top of the sporadic engagement....I couldn't hardly drive the car. I then did this method again and made sure the fluid reservoir was full and it fixed it right up -- I figure I'll search for/fix whatever leak when the clutch comes out of the car for replacement. Right now I have to check the fluid level every few months, tops so it's essentially a non-issue.

Also, if you're in a real bind a roll of super absorbent paper towels works just as well as the turkey baster...just wad one up, let it soak up a bunch of the old fluid then re-fill. If you're fluid level is low you probably have a small leak and it's the culprit.

Its a GM issue and the C6Z is the worst with it. It has something to do with the clutch dust getting into the system and the exhaust manifolds super heating the fluid and boiling it. I have Castrol SRF in there now and that seems to be holding up the best but its pricey.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i am real real heavyset
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Any results?

Quick Reply: Slave or Master LOL Need help