Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

8 rib setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 rib setup

Well, I just ordered an 8 rib setup for the car, a 2.7 pulley (currently running the 2.8) for the maggie, and a magnaflow catback. I already have the 10% overdrive crank pulley. I've upgraded to a kenne bell boost a pump, have meth injection kicking in at 3psi, Kooks long tubes, and just put in an 18 lbs flywheel. Im getting it tuned at the end of the month at EPS. The previous owner (a former member) put down a hair over 500 with the 6 rib 2.7 pulley, but said it stopped pulling at about 5k rpm. I figure it was belt slip, which will be totally eliminated with the new setup. I'm figuring I can easily put down over 500, with quicker boost and power delivery, and still be fairly safe. Anyone tried the 8 rib? Did it slack off on the top end? Anyhow, I'll post dyno numbers and such prolly at the beginning of next month. This is gonna have to tide me over for about a year, until I save the money for a Dragon kit and built motor, so I'm hoping it turns out well.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

8 rib will help with slip, hop and travel. It likely won't add HP unless your previous belt/pulley was in dire need of replacement.

I've been running it for over 2 years. No issues though you need to get the ECS tensioner for the full effect. The maggie tensioner may still give you troubles.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

The pulley is for the bit of extra power. The 8-rib is because it wouldn't hold past 5k rpm for the previous owner on a six rib setup. I'm assuming this will put an end to that, because I'm figuring it was belt slip.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweetwilliebrownjr
The pulley is for the bit of extra power. The 8-rib is because it wouldn't hold past 5k rpm for the previous owner on a six rib setup. I'm assuming this will put an end to that, because I'm figuring it was belt slip.
Why not go down to a 2.6 pulley? the 2.7 would maybe net 10hp
Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Sure the 8 ribs help a lot with slip. You can easily tell if its slipping, look for black belt powder near your tensioner.

Your maggie only has so much breathing/overdriving room before it becomes furnace like. I don't know if you'll get much above 500. I'm assuming it's a 112.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

It's a 112. I'm not looking for ridiculous power gains. 500 is pretty much the goal since the bottom end is stock. 500 was also already done on the car, but with the high rpm drop off as a consequence. The big numbers will come after I build a motor for it.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Which vendor/kit did you get?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

The kit was on the car when I purchased it. I believe it was from Hendrix engineering. It's also the old style with press on pulley. I had to order a quick change hub to get a pulley.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, I meant which 8 rib?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Oops. It's all innovators west stuff. Some came from innovators west, some from lucky speed.

On a related note, I was tinkering today, and popped my hood to find the belt half off of my tensioner. I guess Ive got good timing. Most of the pulleys made it in today, the blower pulley and tensioner will hopefully be in tomorrow.

Just thought about something. My date for getting it tuned has been pushed back til the middle of next month, but I'd like to install everything now since I'm starting to have problems. If I cut the meth up a couple notches, I would assume it'd be okay to run the 2.7 pulley for the time being since its not a major difference. Any body know if that might eff me up?

Last edited by Sweetwilliebrownjr; 09-11-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, that's a pretty minor change. You'll be fine
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Well, I got everything on but the tensioner itself, and blower pulley, which aren't here yet. Pain in my ***. Had to grind part of the alternator for the pulley to snug up, had to space the idler to make it line up, had to space the tensioner pulley, and had to grind part of the new power steering pulley off to make it press on far enough. Innovators west said they've never seen any of that have to be done. I don't know if I have the one different v there is, or they sent me the wrong ****, and decided to cover it up, but it was hell. Now I gotta get the other stuff in and on.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Well, I got everything on but the tensioner itself, and blower pulley, which aren't here yet. Pain in my ***. Had to grind part of the alternator for the pulley to snug up, had to space the idler to make it line up, had to space the tensioner pulley, and had to grind part of the new power steering pulley off to make it press on far enough. Innovators west said they've never seen any of that have to be done. I don't know if I have the one different v there is, or they sent me the wrong ****, and decided to cover it up, but it was hell. Now I gotta get the other stuff in and on.
It's not entirely abnormal. Had to do quite a bit of alignment on my pulleys also but once you get them lined up that belt will never budge.

Did you get a proper tensioner like the ECS one?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

The tensioner and new blower pulley haven't arrived yet, but yes, I got the hd tensioner. Hopefully it's at the house this evening.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Well, the 8 ribs have been working pretty damn good. I'm at 9 lbs at around 75 degrees outside, and the previous owner said 7.5 was all it would do, then it'd back down to around 7 about 500 before redline. Trying to get an appointment Friday to have it retuned, but if not, Monday is set for it. this thing is pulling all the way to redline and feels like it has more, so I feeling good about it.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Launching!

I got 8.5 lbs of boost with my 2.7 S/C pulley and stock crank pulley, so the overdrive gave you .5 lbs extra. Is that correct? I didn't suffer any slip with my 6 rib, using the LS3 belt tensioner from Magnuson.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He may not have headers... I lost 2 psi with the 1 7/8" Kooks
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
He may not have headers... I lost 2 psi with the 1 7/8" Kooks
If he doesn't have headers, the difference should be even more right? I got 8.5 psi with my pacesetters and 2.7. He got 9.0 psi with 2.7 and OD Balancer.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

I've got Kooks 1 7/8 headers and a magnaflow catback, no cats. 9lbs, with no belt slip. I'm sure the boost will climb when it gets colder. So, if we've got a similar setup, then yes, it added half a pound of boost. It was done first though, so I don't know how much it added by itself. I know for sure the 6 rib belt was slipping pretty bad with the od crank pulley.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Well, finally got it tuned. The old tune was commanding 15.1 afr under boost, and about 23 degrees of timing(way too lean, and way too much timing). I have no idea how I haven'tpopped the motor.It put down 457/478 with the new tune. The belt started slipping, but The numbers were still climbing. Apparently it was set on kill with the old tune, and using meth for octane instead of safety as I had been led to believe. Anyhow, I have a slightly shorter fleetrunner belt on the way, and I'm gonna go ahead and go to the same dyno as the previous owner in the next week or two, and see how the numbers compare. The new tune is set for 11.7 afr, and 15 or 16 degrees of timing. I had it tuned so it would be safe with no meth at all. I honestly have gotten tired of the meth. It's a hassle. I'm figuring all in all, I may have lost a bit of power, but it drives better and is safe now. I don't know if it feels slower, because the belt started slipping at about three grand on the way home. On a side note, I installed my 8.8 kit this morning. Haven't got it broke in yet, but I'm damn sure anxious.

Quick Reply: 8 rib setup